Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
F36AB053-51CD-4AE2-A020-0C97ACCD71ED.jpeg

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
I don’t think I’ve seen a square sundial before. Usually round. Very interesting.

The thing about sundials is what do they do on a cloudy day?
And at night is also a problem. But you have to admit, other than a primitive stick in the sand it is the original solar powered clock. No batteries, gears or weights required.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
As I mentioned yesterday, my son had a lax tournament yesterday. They had six half hour continuous clock games between 8am - 3:30pm (they had to be there at 7:15am for warmup). He played pretty well. As far as lacrosse players go he's pretty tentative, and most of his teammates (and opponents) play year round, but at present he only plays spring season and a few clinics sprinkled throughout the year. It was a lot more fun than I expected it would be, especially for being mid-40s and windy for the majority of the day. They played round robin in a group of six teams; his team came third overall in their group.

I used my Z6 and 70-200 lens. I played with some of the tracking modes, which I have never used on any other camera. I honestly don't know if my other cameras even *have* a tracking mode; I think the D800 does but I don't know where I would change it.

There are plenty of people who complain about the Z system tracking, but I had a much higher keeper rate than I ever have for any other fast paced sporting event. I took over 400 photos, and I'd say maybe 10-15 were tossed due to focus. (I am deleting plenty of others as I don't need that many photos from this day, but I purposely overshoot just to test the focusing).

My son is the blue one in the middle with the duckie shorts - he's quite a bit bigger than most kids his age, if you can tell from how bent his knee is compared to the other kids.

This is seriously the best camera I have ever owned.

2019_November_2340_Z6 copy.jpg

Last edited:

inkmich

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2016
Maryland
As I mentioned yesterday, my son had a lax tournament yesterday. They had six half hour continuous clock games between 8am - 3:30pm (they had to be there at 7:15am for warmup). He played pretty well. As far as lacrosse players go he's pretty tentative, and most of his teammates (and opponents) play year round, but at present he only plays spring season and a few clinics sprinkled throughout the year. It was a lot more fun than I expected it would be, especially for being mid-40s and windy for the majority of the day. They played round robin in a group of six teams; his team came third overall in their group.

I used my Z6 and 70-200 lens. I played with some of the tracking modes, which I have never used on any other camera. I honestly don't know if my other cameras even *have* a tracking mode; I think the D800 does but I don't know where I would change it.

There are plenty of people who complain about the Z system tracking, but I had a much higher keeper rate than I ever have for any other fast paced sporting event. I took over 400 photos, and I'd say maybe 10-15 were tossed due to focus. (I am deleting plenty of others as I don't need that many photos from this day, but I purposely overshoot just to test the focusing).

My son is the blue one in the middle with the duckie shorts - he's quite a bit bigger than most kids his age, if you can tell from how bent his knee is compared to the other kids.

This is seriously the best camera I have ever owned.

View attachment 879183

In my younger days I use to tell people if I wasn't an engineer I would like to have been a sports photographer. Let's just say the few times I've tried it the pictures I've captured haven't come out nearly as well as I would have liked (or as well as this one). I'm either just not good at it or I need a lot more practice (or both!).

I love sports, particularly basketball. My late middle-aged knees are starting to tell me though that my playing days are nearly over and it just might be time to take pictures courtside as oppose to being on the court. Maybe then I can then determine if I just need more practice or that it was a good thing I didn't go into sports photography as a career. :)

Reactions: mollyc

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
In my younger days I use to tell people if I wasn't an engineer I would like to have been a sports photographer. Let's just say the few times I've tried it the pictures I've captured haven't come out nearly as well as I would have liked (or as well as this one). I'm either just not good at it or I need a lot more practice (or both!).

I love sports, particularly basketball. My late middle-aged knees are starting to tell me though that my playing days are nearly over and it just might be time to take pictures courtside as oppose to being on the court. Maybe then I can then determine if I just need more practice or that it was a good thing I didn't go into sports photography as a career. :)

I'm not much of a sportsy person, so using a camera to keep myself occupied. It's a good diversion from my normal shooting.

Reactions: inkmich

anotherscotsman

macrumors 68020
Aug 2, 2014
UK
This is lovely! I need to try more of these long-exposure shots. I don't think about it until it is too late (or don't have a tripod with me.). Nicely done!
Cheers @Indydenny. Given the number of grey days here, long exposure at least gives a chance of something of interest. I’ve got a relatively light and compact travel tripod that’s easy to bring. Coupled with a 10-stop filter then Bob’s your uncle. More to come from within a 10’ radius!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.