Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylenormandin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
NH/MA
Hey guys,

Thanks again in advance.

I'm currently using Adobe Photoshop CS3 and run into the same problem once or twice a week. When I go to save a file I've been working on it will state something to the effect of "Photoshop cannot save [filename] due to a program error." From there, it wont allow me to save to the same hard drive that the original file is from, but I can save to another hard-drive. Also, once I reset the preferences (Shift+Option+Command upon start up) it works fine for a few days, then does it again. I just want to know if anyone can fill me in as to why this would keep happening.
I read something about how you should not keep your photoshop scratch disk on the same hard-drive as your boot disk, which mine is, but it was never a problem until a month or so ago.

Thank you,

Kyle Normandin

jdl8422

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2006
Louisiana
I've had it happen to me a few times. Its not often but has happened. I would try and reinstall Photoshop. I dont know how your machine is set up, but I had the problem alot when I took over my job. The previous guy took the HD and partitioned it into 3 different partitions. He had his main hard drive, apps, and scratch. Half the programs were on the main partition and half were on the apps partition. I installed a new HD and reinstalled photoshop and it has been working better for me.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
I've had this issue before I think it's when Photoshop "think" a version of the file is already open by another process thus not allowing you to save.

I've found opening then closing the file in Preview while your PSD is still open in Photoshop usually works.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
This used to happen on one of our work machines; it turned out to be a permissions problem.

Setting permissions

Ensuring that the drive or the partition that you're writing to is set to both read and write for all relevant accounts is also something that's worth checking, just in case.

Cel

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Photoshop program error, cannot save file

This happens to me regularly - I process up to 100 images a day for a newspaper. I was hoping to find out why this happens, but I can at least share my workaround. Select all, copy, command N, paste, flatten, go to the unsavable file and copy the name, go to your new, Untitled file, command shift Save and paste the name. Then it saves just fine. A pain, but it works. :)

Carolina12

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2016
Photoshop program error, cannot save file

This happens to me regularly - I process up to 100 images a day for a newspaper. I was hoping to find out why this happens, but I can at least share my workaround. Select all, copy, command N, paste, flatten, go to the unsavable file and copy the name, go to your new, Untitled file, command shift Save and paste the name. Then it saves just fine. A pain, but it works. :)

Hi!
All you need to do is make sure you have no mask hanging out the canvas. To check, while holding the command click on the mask and if the selection is outside the canvas it will give you that error message. Make sure you check all your masks and voila! that's all it is!
Hope it helps!
C.

Reactions: spacedcadet

spacedcadet

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
Relatively common PS bug. Workaround that sometimes fixes it is to "save as" to a different location, ideally a different disk. Then quit and restart, or even logout of Mac OSX and log back in before restarting PS.

spacedcadet

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
Hi!
All you need to do is make sure you have no mask hanging out the canvas. To check, while holding the command click on the mask and if the selection is outside the canvas it will give you that error message. Make sure you check all your masks and voila! that's all it is!
Hope it helps!
C.
Interesting, I will try and see if this is replicable on my setup.

eyarbrough

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2019
When I rasterized any layer effects I was using, I was then able to save my project. Weird huh?

kentteh

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2020
I already empty all files
Very confirm this 40gb pic is stuck/hidden

Anyone know how to find ?

R4nHoHq.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.