Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
A friend at work asked me to have a look at their PS4. I'm not a Playstation person so forgive the ignorance of anything mentioned below. :)

In the past week their console starting having issues, during downloading games and generally running slow.

Today when I had a look it was stuck in Safe Mode and asking for update 7.0 for reinstallation. Unable to find any alternate solution, I blew the console away and reinstalled it.

I was able to set the device up again on the internet, get their user account re-established and began to download a game.

I came back 20 minutes later to find the console locked up. I powered it off and when it came back it was back in safe mode again asking to be reinstalled.

I began reinstalling it but after 5 minutes the screen went black, and being forced to reboot it it was back in safe mode again.

Reading up I see there's been a handful of users having issues with update 7.0. Has anyone else come across this? Or think they might know what the issue could be? The console runs hot during all this so I don't know if something has cooked inside (do they have cooling fans?

Thanks in advance.

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
Did they buy the Playstation new? I'd let Sony handle it if it's under warranty.

But if not, the only things to try is open it up and give it a good cleaning. It'll rule out any overheating. If that doesn't do it, replace the HDD. It's super simple, straight swap done in 2 minutes (but then you still install the software).

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
Yup, looking like a failing hard drive. Also used the compressed air gun and blew out heaps of dust. Probably had clogged intakes.

Not sure of the age but given the state of it I'd say it's older than a year.

Reinstallation took about a quarter of the time it took the first time. And I'm actually downloading a game this time.

Fingers crossed.

Reactions: sman789
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.