Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TimothyJohn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
Md.
to replace my 17" MacBook Pro, 2.3 Ghz i7. Heat issues finally steering me towards this move.

What I will miss:

Two onboard 1 tb SSD's: system drive 6g, scratch drive 3g (in the superdrive bay).

THREE USB ports, firewire 800, thunderbolt, MagSafe connector.

Expresscard slot-sometimes for card reader, sometimes for UAD Solo laptop. I LOVE UAD stuff.

Any recommendations? I use Pro Tools extensively, and I would like to expand my video editing as well. At this point, I am capturing a LOT of Girls High School Basketball. I am using Adobe Premiere Elements 15, but mobile use of the MacBook Pro is usually limited to editing; audio OR video.. I also use it for home studio use with my Scarlette 18i20. I almost want to do two upgrades...One being for my home studio: the i9 eight core, 2019 iMac seems to be a great choice. But again, what about heat? Fan noise? Throttling? And keep in mind, that if demand increases, I'd probably have to switch to Final Cut-the most cost effective, as far as I can see... I have iMovie (no likey!!), and Media Composer (the free version). Something tells me Final Cut would be better.

And what about the laptop? I would be ecstatic to never again be able to fry eggs on my computer. But how in the world will I come close to matching the functionality I have now? I'll need at the cheapest, a UAD Arrow (one SHARC processor, like the Solo Laptop-but it's bus powered...and $500) and some sort of hub to compensate for the lack of ports: An iLok, Axiom Pro, Scarlette interface, tb hard drives, firewire 800 hard drives, and card reader. And why get rid of the MagSafe? Kinda like McDonalds getting rid of French fries...

I've been using the 17" MacBook Pro as a real workhorse, both for mobile and home studio work. But at this point, I'd almost think that an iMac, or iMac Pro would be worth the expense for intensive home studio work. And maybe add the cheapest, coolest, least throttling MacBook Pro I could get my hands on. One that could handle a UAD Arrow, (bus powered thunderbolt interface giving me on the fly UAD processing), and something that would allow me to attach an iLok for editing in Pro Tools or Sound Blade; strictly for mobile editing when I'm on the road.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, everyone!!!

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
iMac or iMac Pro... I lean toward iMac because at least the RAM is user upgradable.

TimothyJohn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
Md.
maybe a 2019 MacBook Pro 15" 8 core? fine machine!
I'm looking at that, but I wonder about heat, throttling, that sort of thing. I think the same chip is in the iMac. i9, 8 core. And with the iMac, you get more connectivity. Some reports say that heat and fan noise are NOT an issue with the iMac. I'm hoping to get info on that. Does video editing on Adobe cause the fans to kick in on the MacBook Pro? Does it get hot? My 17" MacBook Pro does. I'm told that with apps like Pro Tools, Adobe Premiere, it will get pushed. But as I said, reports on that iMac i9 are good, video wise. I'm waiting on heavy Pro Tools work. Heat and fan noise are a REAL issue for me... Thanks!!!

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
Yes, fans will spin faster on a MacBook Pro, that's how is supposed to be. If you want something quieter, get the iMac.

Gwendolini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
random
The iMac does not use the same chip as the MacBook Pro (iMac: 3.6 GHz Core i9 (I9-9900K) - MacBook Pro: 2.3 GHz Core i9 (I9-9880H) or 2.4 GHz Core i9 (I9-9980HK)).

As for Adobe and Mac's CPU usage (higher constant CPU usage > more heat > faster fans > more noise) I cannot say, I am using the 2018 i7 hexacore MBP with FCP X and only during longer renders can you hear the fans spin up. Maybe Max Yuryev can help you: https://www.youtube.com/user/Maksimyuryev - he makes a lot of video editing system comparison videos and includes Adobe products.

Reactions: TimothyJohn

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
Apple has definitely engineered the the 2018/2019 6 & 8 core MacBook Pros to operate right up to the thermal limit and ride there. Regardless of getting an i7 or i9, 6-core or 8-core, the TDP of the processors are the same and under load they will make similar amounts of heat. I have a 2018 2.2 GHz i7 6-core, under load, sitting on a desk, it will hover between 92 and 98°C and the fans will spin up.

If it is a real concern for you, the iMac is the way to go.

As someone mentioned, there is a big difference in desktop and laptop processors regardless of the numbers they get labeled with. The i9 in the 2019 iMac with it's higher base clock and way more thermal overhead will be much much faster than a MacBook Pro

TimothyJohn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
Md.
Apple has definitely engineered the the 2018/2019 6 & 8 core MacBook Pros to operate right up to the thermal limit and ride there. Regardless of getting an i7 or i9, 6-core or 8-core, the TDP of the processors are the same and under load they will make similar amounts of heat. I have a 2018 2.2 GHz i7 6-core, under load, sitting on a desk, it will hover between 92 and 98°C and the fans will spin up.

If it is a real concern for you, the iMac is the way to go.

As someone mentioned, there is a big difference in desktop and laptop processors regardless of the numbers they get labeled with. The i9 in the 2019 iMac with it's higher base clock and way more thermal overhead will be much much faster than a MacBook Pro
So lets say I get an iMac, or iMac pro. Is there an older MacBook Pro, 15", i7 maybe, that DIDN"T run so hot? Macsales has used ones up from time to time...

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
Here is a question, if you get the iMac, do you need/want a 15" MBP?

The 13" models don't have the problems with heat/noise. They use 27 watt chips and don't have the discrete GPU. They run pretty cool, quiet and good battery life. The 2018 and 2019 models with the touchbar are quad-core with the Intel Iris Plus graphics. Assuming your 17" is the last one made, late-2011, even the the quad-core i5 13" from 2018 would be a solid bump in performance.

TimothyJohn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
Md.
Here is a question, if you get the iMac, do you need/want a 15" MBP?

The 13" models don't have the problems with heat/noise. They use 27 watt chips and don't have the discrete GPU. They run pretty cool, quiet and good battery life. The 2018 and 2019 models with the touchbar are quad-core with the Intel Iris Plus graphics. Assuming your 17" is the last one made, late-2011, even the the quad-core i5 13" from 2018 would be a solid bump in performance.
In terms of heat and fan noise, what about the quad core i7's in the 2018 MacBook Pro 13"? There's one on the refurb site, 16gb and 1tb SSD... $2,419.

TimothyJohn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2013
Md.
Any reports of the new MacBook Pro, 15", i9 8 core processor? In terms of fan noise, heat and throttling? Heavy use; video editing, rendering, and audio (Pro Tools session recording and editing)? Thanks!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.