Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Plex today announced that its ad-supported video on demand feature is available worldwide in more than 200 countries and accessible to anyone who creates a free Plex account.

Content includes thousands of free movies and TV shows from Plex partners like MGM, Warner Bros, Lionsgate, and Legendary. There is no subscription or special hardware required, though the content will include ads.

plexondemandcontent-800x505.jpg

Available shows and movies span a range of genres, from comedies and dramas to documentaries and Bollywood musicals. Over time, Plex plans to continue to add additional free content.

Plex's free media can be played on almost all platforms, including Apple TV, iPhone, and iPad, along with Roku, smart TVs, Android devices, and consoles. All that's needed is the Plex app.

After downloading Plex, users will find the new content right on the Home screen, though existing Plex users who prefer to prioritize their own content can remove the free content. Personal media collections will not be subjected to ads, as ads will be limited to the new free on-demand video content.

Plex says that it may potentially take some time for the rollout of the new feature to reach all users. More information is available on the Plex website.

Article Link: Plex's Ad-Supported Free Video on Demand Feature Now Available Worldwide

Last edited:

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Now when can we add in all our streaming apps? Netflix,amazon, Hulu, hbo, Disney+ plus all our own media. That would be pretty awesome all In one location.

Reactions: TimSHB

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
Great. I wasn’t planning on signing up if it was subscription based.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Ad-supported free content?? What is this madness! I'd much prefer to subscribe to half-a-million streaming services every month, some of which will still have ads.

Just kidding. I'm a big fan of ad-supported free content. Maybe because I was brought up on broadcast tv.

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
Ad-supported free content?? What is this madness! I'd much prefer to subscribe to half-a-million streaming services every month, some of which will still have ads.

Just kidding. I'm a big fan of ad-supported free content. Maybe because I was brought up on broadcast tv.
Big fan of brainwashing and manipulation? What a weird thing to be a big fan of.

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
How long before PLEX starts inserting ads into our privately streamed content like how TiVo is now doing? Why do great products always have to start sucking to make more money?

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008

While at a time in my life I’d say commercials weren’t that bad and you mostly zoned them out. Nowadays I can’t stand even two commercials being the same or anything that takes me out of the movie or tv show. Free is nice but I’d rather have content over being annoyed every 15 minutes.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
How long before PLEX starts inserting ads into our privately streamed content like how TiVo is now doing? Why do great products always have to start sucking to make more money?

Good news is you can easily just switch to a similar program like Kodi since you have all the files on your own hardware. I also don’t think they will ever do that.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
If it has ads it is not free. I realize this might feel like semantics, but it confuses a lot of people.
It seems like maybe you are confused :). If you don’t have to pay for it, it’s free. But there is a catch. Ad supported is ad supported. It’s very similar to over the air broadcast TV that’s available with an antenna.

Personally I’d rather pay for no ads, so I subscribe to Hulu, Netflix and Disney. Also I get Hoopla and Kanopy from the library at no extra cost, they’re funded by my taxes through the public library. A ton of content and no ads.

I also have Amazon Prime Video and HBO at no additional cost since they’re built-in to the cost of services I already pay for (Amazon Prime and AT&T cellular).

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
While at a time in my life I’d say commercials weren’t that bad and you mostly zoned them out. Nowadays I can’t stand even two commercials being the same or anything that takes me out of the movie or tv show. Free is nice but I’d rather have content over being annoyed every 15 minutes.
It's probably fair to say that I don't value most tv shows and movies enough to care about the minor annoyance. I'm already not devoting my full attention to them, typically they're on in the background while I do something else, and from that perspective I'm pretty opposed to having to spend actual money on something I value just over a white-noise generator. So I do appreciate services that offer ad-supported streaming.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
by now I think everyone knows (or should know) that movies that are given away for free are the ones you never wanted to see and don't have the patience to sit through. There's been hundreds upon hundreds (thousands?) of lame/boring/bad time wasting movies made in the last 70 years, most of which WE should get paid for having to sit through the punishment

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
It's probably fair to say that I don't value most tv shows and movies enough to care about the minor annoyance. I'm already not devoting my full attention to them, typically they're on in the background while I do something else, and from that perspective I'm pretty opposed to having to spend actual money on something I value just over a white-noise generator. So I do appreciate services that offer ad-supported streaming.
I can see that. Im a movie fanatic and last 10 years tv shows. I have 1600 movies on my plex with 250 4k ones. I have two pretty serious theater room setups so I think we are a little different. I’ve had surround sound in my rooms since I was 18 and just blew up over the last 18 years. Some people just dont get into movies much but I bet you they would if they had better equipment. I never pay attention to a tv that is using the tv speakers. It’s boring.

Reactions: timme

eyalben

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2008
Sure... Worldwide... Now I can watch the 1940s Superman with ads!

In my country there is a wide selection of b movies and ancient b movies.

Oh, and two tv shows....

Reactions: DeepIn2U

EatinPonies

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2016
So… AppleTV+, Disney+, Netflix, Hulu, Plex… (and those are just the big ones that I use)

I love having the ability on my Apple TV to search for a title and find that it’s available on one of the services that I have already so that I don’t pay to rent it when I could have just watched it for free. Will Plex’s library integrate the same way?

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
I can see that. Im a movie fanatic and last 10 years tv shows. I have 1600 movies on my plex with 250 4k ones. I have two pretty serious theater room setups so I think we are a little different. I’ve had surround sound in my rooms since I was 18 and just blew up over the last 18 years. Some people just dont get into movies much but I bet you they would if they had better equipment. I never pay attention to a tv that is using the tv speakers. It’s boring.
I've got a fairly robust 7.2 surround system and a 60-inch plasma that yeah, is a few years old, but especially for the time does a great job of accurate reproduction. I love visual storytelling mediums and appreciate the power they have for communicating in ways other mediums cannot. From what you've described I think the only difference between us is that I just don't value the vast majority of movies and tv shows enough to spend cash and my full attention on them. Pretty sure equipment balances on both sides of the equation. ?‍♂️

Reactions: PC_tech

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
Big fan of brainwashing and manipulation? What a weird thing to be a big fan of.
Not if it's free. :D
[automerge]1575480489[/automerge]
by now I think everyone knows (or should know) that movies that are given away for free are the ones you never wanted to see and don't have the patience to sit through.
90% of the movies on every ppv or subscription channel fall into that category, too.

Reactions: ohio.emt

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
90% of the movies on every ppv or subscription channel fall into that category, too.
Probably more like 99%. Any more I feel like if you want to get the top 10% of all tv and film through subscription services it's totally doable, but you have to be subscribed to at least 10 services.

Reactions: ohio.emt

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I've got a fairly robust 7.2 surround system and a 60-inch plasma that yeah, is a few years old, but especially for the time does a great job of accurate reproduction. I love visual storytelling mediums and appreciate the power they have for communicating in ways other mediums cannot. From what you've described I think the only difference between us is that I just don't value the vast majority of movies and tv shows enough to spend cash and my full attention on them. Pretty sure equipment balances on both sides of the equation. ?‍♂️
Interesting. Most people that spend money on a system usually like movies. I agree movies the last 10 years haven’t been great but the 80’s-2000 have some amazing movies and some over the last 10 are good.
Why would you spend money on a system if you don’t care for watching movies much? plasmas are awesome. I still have my 2011 in my bedroom I won’t get rid of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.