Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
This is going to be a total mess of random thoughts, but basically I’m looking to start a podcast for fun and well to practise presenting, but want to learn how to do it almost professionally as I go along. Been reading a lot this weekend but eventually got lost in the myriad of suggestions and websites trying to sell their own software and services, so figured I’d ask here for some guidance.

I know I’ll need software and a mic or two, so if I could find easy to use software that lets me do everything I’d eventually want (no idea what features podcasters really love or need) including maybe being able to edit the occasional video episode later on then that would be a great place for me to start tinkering. I use macs and iPhones so preferably software that has OS X and iOS apps. Something with a cool modern interface would really make tinkering and exploring the software appealing to me.

Saw a bunch of mic suggestions, and some are super pricey, but I’m not ready to spend big. Maybe eBay and get some nearly new mics? Is there a mic that works by plugging into the Mac and can also then plugin to say a Sony A7? Or would I need two separate types of kids there?

what about ease of publishing, or finding ambient audio to play during the podcast for atmosphere, any ideas about that sort of thing. Got tons of Qs but will stop thete for now, really would just be hapoy to read people’s experiences or knowledge on the area without some sales pitch attached to their product!

3SQ Machine

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
Are you using only MAC hardware?

I've been doing music production for 10 years (as a hobby, although did produce an album) and recently started podcasting. I exclusively use Logic and sometimes GarageBand on iOS/iPadOS for portability.

You can go crazy on equipment. My advice--start low cost and go slow. Upgrade equipment after you've established your workflow because otherwise you'll find yourself with lots of expensive little-used "toys" in your arsenal.

You also need to decide if you are doing interviews. If so, are you doing them in-person? If in person, you may need portable equipment. I have a digital recorder with a 360 degree mic that records in WAV (lossless) format. It's decent, but not studio quality of course. However, the small form factor and built-in noise/wind cancellation is key and recording in WAV means I can work with the sound later in a DAW and apply any filters. Some only record in MP3 (avoid them).

You can also lug around your laptop if you wish or try to do it on your mobile device. Personally, I found using my iPhone a little finicky for doing audio recording + it does take up a lot of space if recording lossless (WAV). The iPhone mic is actually not bad for recording. GarageBand (free) will allow you to test this out if you don't even want to invest at all and you have plenty of free space to play around. You can then teach yourself garageband on ios and develop a decent workflow.

Most people will, but some podcasters strictly do monologues. Either way, you're going to need some studio equipment to record intros, narrations, etc. USB mics are OK to start but eventually you'll want to use an audio interface with a good powered condenser microphone. Even the inexpensive MXL 770 will give you exceptional sound compared to usb mics. However, legit audio interface + mics + soundproofing + DAW and you start to add up the cash.

Anyway, think about the type of podcasts you want to produce and the type of recording you want to do (in house/portable, etc.). You'll need to figure this out first before investing in equipment.

Reactions: TJ82 and a2jack

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Cheers guys. I'm in the UK so picked up some pieces yesterday that were readily available.

Got two Rode PodMics, two desk stands and a Focusrite 2i2 interface. For software I picked up Logic Pro X. Seems to be pretty common kit for starter podcasters. Haven't opened any of it up yet so still have time to return, though was hoping to maybe test it all out this evening. I was hoping to find an app for script writing or something that has a nice layout for planning your podcast, but didn't really see anything. Have been using Word but something dedicated would be confidence inspiring!

iPhonagain

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2009
Indy
oh that's a nice setup you got there! Rode and Focusrite 2i2 have great reviews and a lot of Podcasts and YouTube videos I watch use them.
Good job picking all that out!

Reactions: TJ82

3SQ Machine

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
Wow you're jumping right in. Good for you. That equipment can last you for a long time. My Focusrite 2i4 (2d Gen) is still going strong about 6 years later. Make sure you connect with XLR or you risk hiss/static. I think those Rode mics may be able to connect to iPhone, but double-check on that for portability.

I actually wasn't going to suggest Logic as a jumping off point but you're ambitious. The "trim silence" feature will be very helpful.

And for my podcasts, I actually write a script as the hardest part for a me is to keep focused on timing and avoiding the dreaded "ums" or other filler words. It's even harder to critique your own voice.

Reactions: a2jack and TJ82
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.