Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2020 iPhone with Touch ID AND Face ID

• Both

• Only Face ID

• Only Touch ID

• I don’t care!’

Results are only viewable after voting.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
What’s your preference for the 2020
IPhone as far as Face ID AND TOUCH ID are concernef

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
You guys fully understand that Face ID is less secure and all it was Meant to be was a Marketing tool. Even if you never enroll in FaceID it’s still tracking Faces if anyone is looking at the device.
Just imagine you can skip a YouTube video today after 5 seconds. But soon, you can only skip that video if any when FaceID cameras detect a person is actually looking at the ad.
Ive never enrolled in FaceID on my iPad Pro but when I glance at myNews a feed it quickly Updates. Because Face ID cameras have detected a glance which triggers an immediate Update to fresh News which always gets me to look more at the top stories.

Its pretty frightening and genius.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
If you can have both why not? I don't really like the whole concept of the FaceID tech - concerns about privacy (not necessarily from Apple's specific implementation, but the tech in general) plus health issues from having focused beams of IR blasted into your eyes several times a day mean I won't use it even if it's on my phone. I'm not particularly bothered if it's there for others to use as long as I also have TouchID though.

Reactions: snipr125

PugMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2019
Both :D
I'd prefer TouchID but I'd like to retain FaceID as an option. My P30 Pro offers both, that's great.

Bethanie21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2015
I voted for both. I use FaceID on my iPhone and TouchID on my iPad, and honestly they both work. That’s all I look for.

Koobs

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
You guys fully understand that Face ID is less secure and all it was Meant to be was a Marketing tool. Even if you never enroll in FaceID it’s still tracking Faces if anyone is looking at the device.

You do understand that there are cameras everywhere in the world these days? You pretty much can't go anywhere without being recorded.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Just imagine you can skip a YouTube video today after 5 seconds. But soon, you can only skip that video if any when FaceID cameras detect a person is actually looking at the ad.
Ive never enrolled in FaceID on my iPad Pro but when I glance at myNews a feed it quickly Updates. Because Face ID cameras have detected a glance which triggers an immediate Update to fresh News which always gets me to look more at the top stories.

You must work for CNN because that’s definitely fake news

wardie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
You must work for CNN because that’s definitely fake news

Well the less secure bit may be fake news, but the continuous monitoring bits are true if you have Attention Awareness switched on. Not sure Apple is sharing that with 3rd parties though (the attention events not the face scan hashes).

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
FaceID can tell you’re paying attention so the screen won’t time out and lock. TouchID cannot.
Touch ID may make unlocking your phone easier in some scenarios, & then Face ID can take over with its attention monitoring.

The only negative to having both would be the cost on the phone imo.

Reactions: snipr125

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Personally, I’m happy with just FaceID. But I think there’s been far too many rumblings about TouchID returning for it not to be true.

Reactions: Wide opeN

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
Going back to touch ID after face ID, is like going from CDs back to cassette tapes.

Apple is ahead of the game.

Face ID must be ahead of its time for people to freak out about it like they have been. Apple even improved it so I can actually look at my phone on an angle and it still open. The cons against Face ID list is getting smaller and it’s even faster this year.

Having both, Face ID and Touch ID, only creates less room in your phone, perhaps inviting a smaller battery, no thank you.

I feel apples only bringing back touch ID because of people freaking out about advancement in technology.

So let’s take a step back and take a breather is their philosophy I guess, for those ‘older’ folk.

• Haha
Reactions: Wide opeN

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Going back to touch ID after face ID, is like going from CDs back to cassette tapes.

Apple is ahead of the game.

Face ID must be ahead of its time for people to freak out about it like they have been. Apple even improved it so I can actually look at my phone on an angle and it still open. The cons against Face ID list is getting smaller and it’s even faster this year.

Having both, Face ID and Touch ID, only creates less room in your phone, perhaps inviting a smaller battery, no thank you.

I feel apples only bringing back touch ID because of people freaking out about advancement in technology.

So let’s take a step back and take a breather is their philosophy I guess, for those ‘older’ folk.
I don’t think the technologies are that far different with the previous being as archaic as you try and make out lol.

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
I don’t think the technologies are that far different with the previous being as archaic as you try and make out lol.

LOL , I made my subjective, a bit over the top point. :)

I just think people need to move on, if we didn’t, we would still be riding horses because of those who feel uncomfortable moving onto the automobile. ;)

AMP12345

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2016
I would like to see an iPhone with both. I think Touch ID is more convenient when my phone is sitting on my desk or off axis from my face but living in Minnesota Face ID would be nice for when I have gloves on in the winter. Though I don't know how well Face ID will handle the middle of winter when most of my face is covered to try to stay warm.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I have an iPad that has touch id - this time of year (winter in Maine) I find that touch ID almost never works - at least it takes several tries where Face ID on my iPhone works all the time.
I have found touch -id in winter has always been unreliable in winter over a bunch of phones.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I have an iPad that has touch id - this time of year (winter in Maine) I find that touch ID almost never works - at least it takes several tries where Face ID on my iPhone works all the time.
I have found touch -id in winter has always been unreliable in winter over a bunch of phones.
It’s pretty good in Britain where we get near winter conditions for most of the year. Probably doesn’t suit American winters.

AlphaGuitarist

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2014
It’s pretty good in Britain where we get near winter conditions for most of the year. Probably doesn’t suit American winters.

I’ve been to the UK twice during winter and it was nowhere nearly as nasty as it gets here (I live in New York). You guys are lucky!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.