Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dark Mode better than Light Mode?

• Yes

Votes: 86 58.5%
  • No

Votes: 61 41.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Just wondering what everyone thinks of dark mode now that iOS 13 is finally out.
Honestly it’s a bit odd for me after not having it on my Apple devices for well over a decade but I just got iOS 13 today so I’m gonna stock with it for a few days. Also, sucks that some of my most used apps (IG, FB) don’t (yet) support dark mode so I’m switching between dark and light apps constantly.

scmill

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2018
Spartanburg SC
I was disappointed in it. On the Home screen, apps in folders just looked odd. I was already using a dark blue background there and a dark background in my Kindle app. I think I'm OK just staying as I was.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Didn’t really like it at first, but I’m starting to get used to it. It reminds me of watchOS, which I quite like.

My only problem so far is with bright white webpages and white mail. Makes the navigation bars more prominent and the screen appear smaller, which on my SE isn’t a problem to take lightly. I haven’t used it in bright sunlight so not sure if it will be a problem then.

At first I had it only set to come on at night and light mode be for the day, but the switching back and forth was hard to get used to.

Unlike the last commenter, I find dark mode much better on iOS than on the Mac. I just can’t get used to dark mode on my Air.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
If they forced the keyboard to be black in other apps, yes. But the way they’ve handled the keyboard theming is stupid, so I currently don’t use it. Too jarring.
[automerge]1569385157[/automerge]
I was disappointed in it. On the Home screen, apps in folders just looked odd. I was already using a dark blue background there and a dark background in my Kindle app. I think I'm OK just staying as I was.

You can turn off the option of dark mode dimming the wallpaper. It’s in Settings > General > Wallpaper

Reactions: scmill

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
I love the music app in black. And the photos app. And Mail. And Calendar and pretty much any other stock app. It looks so cool. But i also have a black front / bezel. Sadly the Dark Mode doesn't look so good on a white bezel iPhone.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
I think I prefer it for the most part. If they added a little more color to all of that white space I might think otherwise.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
So, after a week I think I’m done with dark mode.

It’s not bad, I just don’t like that it’s not consistent throughout my usage (even though it’s as close to consistent as it can probably get). It’s just a little jarring when you open safari and it’s all black, then go to an all-white webpage. Or the fact that some widgets are shaded differently.

I do wonder just how much of a battery life lift dark mode gives, but I doubt it would be enough for me to use dark mode permanently in my 11 Pro Max.

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
I have it set to come on depending on the time of day but to be honest, it doesn't really do anything for me.

Mail app especially - The way emails display is really ugly

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
I really enjoy it, sometimes when it's really bright out (usually during the day if I'm doing something outdoors) I'll switch it to light mode so the screen is easier to see, but other than that, I'm always using that mode.

Puppuccino

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2019
United Kingdom
Yes, please.

I joined the public beta so I've gotten used to it for a while now. It's not perfect in all apps, but you do get used to it after a while.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
If I'm in a really dark room? Yes. Scheduling it to come on at a certain time every day? No

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
Curious, is light mode really just the mode we've always had in years past or did they actually make new tweaks to that also?

Dark mode is...ok. Still using it, but it has a lot of inconsistency.

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
For me, Dark Mode is a huge yes. I find it much better to use and with an OLED screen the potential battery savings are appreciated. Is it perfect? No. Not by a long shot. Once it becomes more consistent I will be even happier with it than I am now.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I have it set for sunset to sunrise. It’s ok...but I don’t think it’s worth the hype that it was given.

ovo6

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2015
My phone is smoother when I use dark mode is it just me ? I guess it uses less energy idk

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I said no because dark mode and light mode are equal for me. I use the sunset feature so light in the day, dark at night. The question, is dark better than light is a no for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.