Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dark Mode better than Light Mode?

• Yes

Votes: 86 58.5%
  • No

Votes: 61 41.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
I voted yes. Aesthetically it’s a draw for me, I’m equally happy with either, but on an OLED screen I like the fact that dark mode lights up fewer pixels so helps with battery life so I have it enabled all the time. The only problem for me now is that AppStore shows that I have app updates I immediately go and look at the changes to see if any of the app updates have “added a dark mode” as one of its new features. There are still quite a few of my apps that I wish would offer that option although a few already do.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I keep switching back and forth. For me inconsistency is frustrating. Between safari pages white pages and apps like LinkedIn and Starbucks loading in white it’s frustrating

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Give it time. Tbh I'm pleasantly surprised at how much dark mode support there is.

I keep switching back and forth. For me inconsistency is frustrating. Between safari pages white pages and apps like LinkedIn and Starbucks loading in white it’s frustrating

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Give it time. Tbh I'm pleasantly surprised at how much dark mode support there is.

right on. The majority of apps support dark mode for me except gmail and Facebook. I believe Instagram already supports it. I was at the theater last night and before the show began I turned on dark mode and it was pleasant to use in the dark. I only ever turn it on if I wake up in the middle of the night and go use the restroom. Nevermy default though.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
For me the problem is the jarring keyboard experience with the apps that don’t support it. At the very minimum Apple should be replacing the stock keyboard across all apps. It isn’t the interfaces that are making it weird for me. I don’t use it because of the changing keyboard experience across all the different apps.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
For me the problem is the jarring keyboard experience with the apps that don’t support it. At the very minimum Apple should be replacing the stock keyboard across all apps. It isn’t the interfaces that are making it weird for me. I don’t use it because of the changing keyboard experience across all the different apps.

What happens to those that don't support Dark Mode?

I'm slowly getting into Dark Mode, while my best friend loves it and uses it exclusively.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
right on. The majority of apps support dark mode for me except gmail and Facebook. I believe Instagram already supports it. I was at the theater last night and before the show began I turned on dark mode and it was pleasant to use in the dark. I only ever turn it on if I wake up in the middle of the night and go use the restroom. Nevermy default though.

Deleted. I misread your post.

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017
Depends. My current iPhones are IPS LCD screens, so I don't care, using dark theme isn't going to save more battery, and burn in is usually not an issue. But if it was an OLED screen, I want black bezels and dark themes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.