Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
dvdh said:
I used to use safari all the time on my mac, then I started using Firefox on my PC, so I thought to try it on Mac. Unfortunately I keep running into sites that claim that the Java is not enabled in Firefox on the Mac, so I am back with Safari (has been few times that it has let me down.) Maybe in a few more versions, I'll try Firefox again, but at the moment, for my uses, Safari is the far better browser.

For this problem, try getting the User Agent switcher (I think it's not a platform-based extension). It will allow those detector scripts to interpret Firefox as a different browser, for example IE 6 for Windows. You might stop getting that "no Java" error until Firefox gets updated or people start coding proper JS detectors.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
I downloaded Firefox to see what the fuss was about. I like it ok, but overall I'm just sort of "meh" about it.

Safari rocks for me. As does Mail.

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
matticus008 said:
For this problem, try getting the User Agent switcher (I think it's not a platform-based extension).

Thanks, I will give that a try and see if helps out at all. . .

john1123

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2005
Down Under
I like firefox. It is much more functional and much faster than safari. However, it eats my cpu big time so i mostly use safari.

Oh and did i mention that firefox always hangs on me?

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
I notice good and bad aspects to any internet browser, of course. Firefox and Safari are about *even* in my opinion of their features and functionality. <shrugs> I think I'd use Safari more often if it were just slightly faster.
I digress.

DaveP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
I like Firefox and Safari about the same. I give Firefox the slight nod because I think competition is good. (part of the reason why I got a mac :) )

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
KY
the extensions really do it for me with Firefox. I couldn't go without a few of them. Who could live without Farkit? :D

I'm not sure what the buggy issues are with Firefox on Mac. I've never noticed any, but I'd be interested to hear the problems others are having. I do really love the look of Safari, though. I wish someone would put together a safari theme for Firefox.

Azurael

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2005
I use Safari on the Mac and Firefox on the PC... I too used FF on Windows/Linux when it was called Phoenix... Then Firebird... Then Firefox, and have had practically no problems with it, but somehow on the mac, it just doesn't feel 'right' - if they ever properly integrate it, I'll probably replace Safari, but for now I'd rather put up with the frequent 'Could not load any data from this location' or just use one of the PCs for web browsing :(

Jonx

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2004
I've been using firefox since it was 0.5 (phoenix, firebird..) 5 months ago I switched to mac and tried safari, it looks nice and easy to use but I never get used to it, I use firefox all the time I love those little extensions that makes browsing better ( like adblock :p )I think firefox doesn't look like a mac application like safari but its better than safari when it comes to browsing :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.