Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RalphTomaccio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2014
Slatersville RI
Apparently, I have managed to get a pop up ad virus in Safari. Almost every time I click on a legitimate link in one window or go to a new web site, a new window opens either with some ad, a warning that Flash player is corrupt or needs updating, or "Your system is corrupted with 3 viruses". Very annoying.

I am using a mid-2010 iMac running the latest OS allowed - version 10.13.6. No jokes, please. I'm 73 and my computer needs are minimal. It is serving me just fine for now, except for this issue.

Here's what I've tried so far:
1. Checked Safari Preferences/Security to make sure "block pop up windows" is selected
2. Ran Disk Utility
3. Ran Onyx
4. Reinstalled the OS

My question: Is there any way to get rid of this virus without having to spend money to do so? Any other suggestions?

If not, what is a reasonably priced good piece of software that you recommend?

Your help is most appreciated. TIA

Ralph

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
I have the same problem. In my case I'm running High Sierra in a non supported mac (iMac 8,1) and just after updating Safari to 13 started to see this popups. Malwarebytes did not help in this case. I'm thinking that is caused by the dos dude patch that could open some door or something like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.