Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
This would be quite bad if Google stopped supporting updates to all the people that bought Huawei smartphones in the past. Would be quite a slow to Huawei from the Trump administration to China and Huawei. This would get quite ugly between China and the US if this takes place.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Goo...ing-Android-updates-to-Huawei-phones_id116143

https://www.androidauthority.com/huawei-loses-access-to-google-android-987873/
Kinda saw this coming a while ago. This will kill off Huawei's phone sales if they don't have access to Playstore apps and updates.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Kinda saw this coming a while ago. This will kill off Huawei's phone sales if they don't have access to Playstore apps and updates.
I think Huawei has sold a few hundred million smartphones now. Who will hold responsibility and accountability for all those people who paid for a smartphone with a Google operating system in it of which Google now decided to pull the plug on..? At the least that they would need to do is be required to support all previously sold smartphones with OS support. They should not be allowed to just completely pull the plug and abandon all those who bought their products before.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I think Huawei has sold a few hundred million smartphones now. Who will hold responsibility and accountability for all those people who paid for a smartphone with a Google operating system in it of which Google now decided to pull the plug on..? At the least that they would need to do is be required to support all previously sold smartphones with OS support. They should not be allowed to just completely pull the plug and abandon all those who bought their products before.
Great points!

Reactions: stylinexpat

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
So if a security flaw is detected from today onwards on a Huawei phone, everything on your phone could be at risk because it can't be updated? Can Huawei not release any kind of update or is it soley down to Google (who obviously won't help now)?

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
So if a security flaw is detected from today onwards on a Huawei phone, everything on your phone could be at risk because it can't be updated? Can Huawei not release any kind of update or is it soley down to Google (who obviously won't help now)?
Theoretically Huawei could blame Google for it as Google sold them the OS and Huawei along with the end user (consumer) paid for it.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Theoretically Huawei could blame Google for it as Google sold them the OS and Huawei along with the end user (consumer) paid for it.
I"m not sure that is correct...they license or pay a royalty to Google. Not the same thing as a sale as you said.
Then since Android is basically open source...the OS will continue to work as the license or royalty agreement states.
What would no longer work is the Playstore and any further security/app updates or OS updates going forward.
Gmail would not work...I'm not sure about maps or Google Assistant though

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
And Google couldn’t care less. Google is a US company, and they merely follows the law. Heck, the fact Google immediately took action without much fuss showed that they actually couldn’t care less. This is more like a wake up call to all Android OEMs that their lifeline can be pulled by Google just like that, albeit too late now as there’s no room for a third smartphone platform.

Of course, the victims in the end are consumers, especially those outside China and US, and they’re not involved directly with the political fights, but gets wounded and salt on top as collateral damage.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Stuff like this is why people like Apple, and to an extent the Google Pixel line now. 1st party support.
Yep, part of the reason I have ordered my iPhone X S Max. I am sick of companies depending on Google.

I will always keep Huawei around though, and I hope they simply launch their own OS and forget Google’s Android. Such an innovative company being let down by stupid outside factors.

Reactions: decafjava

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
And Google couldn’t care less. Google is a US company, and they merely follows the law. Heck, the fact Google immediately took action without much fuss showed that they actually couldn’t care less. This is more like a wake up call to all Android OEMs that their lifeline can be pulled by Google just like that, albeit too late now as there’s no room for a third smartphone platform.

Of course, the victims in the end are consumers, especially those outside China and US, and they’re not involved directly with the political fights, but gets wounded and salt on top as collateral damage.
This is what I keep saying, it's a major wake up call for other Android OEMs.

I wonder if Huawei will partner with another OEM on an OS based on AOSP.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Yep, part of the reason I have ordered my iPhone X S Max. I am sick of companies depending on Google.

I will always keep Huawei around though, and I hope they simply launch their own OS and forget Google’s Android. Such an innovative company being let down by stupid outside factors.

Their hardware is impressive to say the least. But yeah anytime you're reliant on a third party for software, this is what can happen.

Got to credit Apple, and now Google as well. It's not easy to build first party software, integration, app stores, after sales support, etc. Or else everyone would be able to succeed on their own.

Reactions: jamezr

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
This is what I keep saying, it's a major wake up call for other Android OEMs.

I wonder if Huawei will partner with another OEM on an OS based on AOSP.
Give them time and they will succeed. Short term they will have problems which will not be good for them but this is another lesson for them not to be reliant upon others ;)

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
I just got an update from Google from Google's Play Store for Google Docs so updates are still working as of now for Huawei's P30 Pro
Screenshot_20190520_180408_com.android.vending.jpg

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I just got an update from Google from Google's Play Store for Google Docs so updates are still working as of now for Huawei's P30 Pro
Well, the US gave 90 days grace period, so everything from now on until 90 days forward are not reflecting the new policy.
Secondly, google said that existing handsets will continue to work, along with app updates. The problem will be future handsets and future version of Android for current handsets as there will be no future licenses given.

In short, it’s like the old days where any Android handset won’t get updates. Existing Huawei devices will still work and app updates won’t be affected, but no guarantee to get Android Q forward. Plus Huawei can no longer include the Play store in their future Android handsets (if they stick with Android). This is also problematic for Huawei’s laptops as Microsoft will be under the same restrictions.

Reactions: stylinexpat

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I wonder what happens to unsold phones that are sitting in carrier stores? Do they have to be recalled or can they still sell them with android os and the play store preinstalled.

Last edited:

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
US lifts Huawei ban, but only temporarily and in a limited scope
After a day of speculating about the company’s future, the Department of Commerce has given Huawei a temporary license to maintain its current products (via Reuters).

Huawei’s limited license is only in effect through August 19, 2019. The permit allows the company to work with U.S. corporations to support current customers. The Shenzhen-based company will be able to maintain business relationships with Google, Intel, Qualcomm, and others to release software updates to existing hardware.

This 90-day general license is also good news for some smaller regional networks that rely on Huawei’s infrastructure. Two regions that were already affected by the company’s ban were rural areas of Wyoming and Oregon.
https://www.androidauthority.com/huawei-temporary-general-license-988407/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.