Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The Finite State report was written in June 2019. Yet the report uses Huawei router firmwares dated 2016 and 2017.

Yup, it's an "unpatched" exploit. LOL.

You keep posting click bait links thinking it will fool people. Not sure what your real aim is.

Do you always post stuff without reading it?
enuff said...you disagree with independent proof and refuse to even READ the data.

Either Huawei engineers are complete idiots and morons and nobody should buy their products because they are inherently designed to be insecure...OR they leave them this way so they access all the stuff they left waiting to be exploited.

I have posted a LOT of information to prove my position. You...not so much....

lol...OMG...ok..how about 20 years worth of exploits.....
our research uncovered a substantial lack of secure development practices resulting in significant numbers of vulnerabilities. In some cases, engineers chose to use 20-year-old versions of software libraries rather than current, secure alternatives. Huawei engineers wrote insecure functions with misleading names indicating that the function was safe from conditions such as buffer overflows when in fact it was not.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
enuff said...you disagree with independent proof and refuse to even READ the data.

Either Huawei engineers are complete idiots and morons and nobody should buy their products because they are inherently designed to be insecure...OR they leave them this way so they access all the stuff they left waiting to be exploited.

I have posted a LOT of information to prove my position. You...not so much....

Yup, you posted a garbage “report” that pretended to be objective.

Writing a so called analysis in June 2019 using 2016/2017 firmware. It’s pretty clear the report had one goal. Enough reading for me. LOL.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Yup, you posted a garbage “report” that pretended to be objective.

Writing a so called analysis in June 2019 using 2016/2017 firmware. It’s pretty clear the report had one goal. Enough reading for me. LOL.
So prove the report is garbage..... Where's your data other than you don't like what it says.....

Let me connect the dots for you........if they are using router firmware from 2016 for one test and it has 20 year unpatched exploits and vulnerabilities....yeah that is bad...but not in the way you wrote... :rolleyes:

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
The Finite State report was written in June 2019. Yet the report uses Huawei router firmwares dated 2016 and 2017.

You keep posting click bait links thinking it will fool people. Not sure what your real aim is.

Do you always post stuff without reading it?

Well the whole point is to push the anti-China/anti-Huawei narrative at the end of the day so clickbait articles are all the rage.

Had all this been a real major concern the entire world would have banned them, but in the end it’s all about a trade deal.

Nokia are distancing themselves from their CTO’s statements over the Finite State Report
Also it seems not all suppliers are treated equally in these checks which is really telling:
He conceded that Nokia's equipment was not subject to the same checks in the UK as Huawei, but said it did face scrutiny around the world.
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-48790746

It’s becoming more evident what this is all about and how unfairly Huawei are being targeted over other suppliers to, its interesting that the clickbait articles never seem to draw full comparisons to other suppliers, mainly due to the fact that they don’t seem to thoroughly check their gear to:
No-one external has scrutinized the code from the other companies. We probably feel quite comfortable with Ericsson and Nokia. No-one feels threatened by the Swedes and Finns, they are unlikely to want to spy on British citizens. But we know from whistleblower Edward Snowden that the NSA does like to snoop on friendly countries. I’ve read quite a bit of the mobile information from the Snowden leaks and some of it is wrong in the way mobile networks work, failing to understand the difference between voice, signaling and text messaging transport, so I am a little cautious, but Snowden does claim that the NSA re-routes Cisco export kit and installs backdoors.

To throw out Chinese kit we have no reason to suspect and switch it to Cisco kit which we do have grounds to worry about is foolhardy. Indeed my former boss Lord Sugar recently tweeted as much.

There might even be grounds to worry that the NSA isn’t just looking for the U.K. to drop Chinese kit so that we buy Cisco, but looking to make sure that there is something with American back doors in place.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/simonr...i-who-else-should-cause-concern/#71c51fce242c

It’s all rather messy and will continue to be until a favourable deal is done and everything can return to normal making all of this pointless.

We’ll just have to ignore the clickbait articles until there is full and thorough comparison and equal checks on all equipment, but I doubt that will ever happen as it goes against the narrative people want to set anyway.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
again....this is an independent study and it is 56 pages this lab studied millions and millions of lines of code.

Two people here are calling it clickbait because they don't like the concclusions.

IF you think it is clickbait then show us some proof to dispute what it says......

The data speaks for itself!

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
More and more proof keeps coming out...eventually in this digital world nothing is a secret forever.
More proof that Huawei employees worked closely with the government intelligence agencies.

Along with the question of hidden backdoors in hardware and software products, it is these state security links that Huawei has gone to the greatest lengths to deny. But the debate will now intensify again, after the Telegraph reported on Saturday (July 6) that "Huawei staff have admitted to having worked with Chinese intelligence agencies in a 'mass trove' of employment records leaked online."

The investigation—conducted by the Henry Jackson Society, a think tank that has warned on Huawei before—claimed this was indicative of "far closer links between the telecommunications company and military-backed cyber agencies than previously thought."

A Washington Post opinion piece, also this week, commented on the same issue, saying that "that Huawei maintains ties to the military in its home country isn’t unusual—it’s true for all telecommunications giants," the problem is that Huawei has been "dishonest" about its links—"the existence of the ties are not as worrying as the lengths Huawei and Beijing go to keep them secret."
https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdof...lligence-agencies-report-claims/#79ab4e134b24

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Here’s the clearest evidence yet of why Huawei can’t be trusted, and it involves North Korea

New reporting from The Washington Post makes clear that Huawei helped North Korea build and launch its internal Koryolink wireless network a decade ago, a project for which Huawei teamed up with China’s state-owned Panda International Information Technology company. It’s also a project that got underway after North Korea’s then-supreme leader Kim Jong II made a visit to Huawei’s headquarters in China, which led the company to contribute things like wireless network infrastructure and encryption services to the repressive regime’s plans.

This is disturbing news on a number of levels. Koryolink is one way North Korea keeps tabs on its citizens, with the new reporting making it clear that the network includes eavesdropping mechanisms made possible by the Huawei technologies. Among other things, North Korean officials can use the network to intercept calls and texts, in addition to capturing screenshots of user activity at random so that authorities can see what they’re up to.

https://bgr.com/2019/07/22/huawei-vs-us-north-korea-wireless-network/

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Little by little as more facts come out.....it is becoming quite clear that Huawei can't be trusted.

If they really helped setup south Korea’s wireless network, I don’t think they can recover from that.

Can’t see how they can continue with android.

Google employees got bent out of shape with the possibility of creating a search engine specifically for China.

Google employees go public to protest China search engine Dragonfly
https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...arch-engine-dragonfly/?utm_term=.f7534d6e5434

This is much worse.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
If they really helped setup south Korea’s wireless network, I don’t think they can recover from that.

Can’t see how they can continue with android.

Google employees got bent out of shape with the possibility of creating a search engine specifically for China.

Google employees go public to protest China search engine Dragonfly
https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...arch-engine-dragonfly/?utm_term=.f7534d6e5434

This is much worse.
yep...Huawei partnered with China’s state-owned Panda International Information Technology company to create a network for North Korea to spy on it's own people. To intercept calls and text messages to oppress its people.

This after denying it ever did such things and claiming it has been wrongly accused by the US government.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
Really? Well for one thing...if you text your relative that you disagree with the current regime...you end up in prison or worse....

Just because there isn’t such harsh penalties in America doesn’t make the spying anymore acceptable. It’s an invasion of privacy full stop.

Reactions: Heineken

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Just because there isn’t such harsh penalties in America doesn’t make the spying anymore acceptable. It’s an invasion of privacy full stop.
That has not been debated...spying is one thing. Spying then making citizens disappear because they disagree with you are miles apart. I really can't believe someone would equate the 2 things to be honest.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
When the mighty dollars come marching in from Huawei, POTUS look the other way. Everybody is happy.
Huawei has friends in US. This is a passing phrase.

Trump Touts Tech Industry Support for Huawei Exemptions
https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-agrees-to-timely-licensing-decision-for-huawei-sales-11563836623

It’s that hypocrisy coming in again.
Let’s not even begin to talk about US support for Saudi and its endless questionable treatment of women and journalists.

Great stuff for them, will be interesting to see how badly Trumps flip flopping has affected them Y-on-Y when we look back next year.

Reactions: stylinexpat
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.