Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
There has been a huge media push in China to support the Huawei and buy homegrown products over products made outside of China to show support. I think the impact from the ban will be in enterprise networking equipment...not retail phones.

This is exactly it. Their growth was primarily at home, at the expense of their Chinese competitors (and Apple).

Reactions: jamezr

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Yeah, news is bad. Imagine if Huawei sold 100 or 200 million of these smartphones leaving Google with roughly less $4 Billion or $8 Billion that they could have collected in Licensing fees for Google. Keep in mind that Google sells licensing fees for roughly $40 per smartphone to Huawei. Easy money for Google selling licensing fees which they will now miss out on because Trump did not approve of the deal. Surely that will affect the upcoming earnings and earnings numbers for Google and Huawei. Both companies and people will lose out thanks to Trump's trade war with China :rolleyes:o_O

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I am all for Huawei dropping Android altogether and going full steam on Harmony for all their Smart devices, give iOS a good run for its money in terms of integration.

2020 will be a tough year for Huawei but if they focus on all the right things and continue to drive customer care and brilliant well specced devices while doing plenty PR damage control,they can pull through and begin turning around between 2021 and 2022.

They will have to rebuild their brand in mobile unfortunately.

Reactions: stylinexpat

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I am all for Huawei dropping Android altogether and going full steam on Harmony for all their Smart devices, give iOS a good run for its money in terms of integration.

2020 will be a tough year for Huawei but if they focus on all the right things and continue to drive customer care and brilliant well specced devices while doing plenty PR damage control,they can pull through and begin turning around between 2021 and 2022.

They will have to rebuild their brand in mobile unfortunately.
I don't see how they can outside of China. How many people in the US, Europe, Australia etc are going to want to buy an expensive smartphone if they can't use their favourite apps?

Reactions: Shanghaichica

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
I don't see how they can outside of China. How many people in the US, Europe, Australia etc are going to want to buy an expensive smartphone if they can't use their favourite apps?

They would need to be compatible too. People that use chat apps that can not transfer/migrate chat history over to new phone may not be so willing to switch platforms.

Last edited:

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Without Google Apps...the next Huawei phone is dead in the water outside of China.
Just ask Apple how hard it was trying to replace GAPPS on the iPhones. Look how long it took them to sort of get Apple Maps to compete with Google Maps.

True.
But apple didn’t blatantly copy google maps they did their own thing, that takes time. Huawei os and apps won’t take time.

if China nationalizes Huaweis Os, and makes it mandatory for other Chinese oems to adopt, that would do it.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
True.
But apple didn’t blatantly copy google maps they did their own thing, that takes time. Huawei os and apps won’t take time.

if China nationalizes Huaweis Os, and makes it mandatory for other Chinese oems to adopt, that would do it.
It would work for phones sold in China. But without GAPPS the western world will not buy these phones. Then Apple took the time and investment to gather the data and map the world so to speak.
I cannot ever see the US allowing Huawei to map the whole US so their homebrew maps application will be accurate.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
It's sure going to be interesting what kind of sales figures the Mate 30 does outside of China with proper Google apps.

I'd say the majority of people in the West would be put off not being able to use the YouTube, Google Maps etc apps. Plus all the US made aps. Although according to one person on here who is anti Google & Android, I'm a fan boy because I wouldn't buy a Huawei without those apps.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
It would work for phones sold in China. But without GAPPS the western world will not buy these phones. Then Apple took the time and investment to gather the data and map the world so to speak.
I cannot ever see the US allowing Huawei to map the whole US so their homebrew maps application will be accurate.

The Chinese do as their told, if their told to buy the new os they will without question.

They wouldn’t have to do much for the Western world, make sure the top 7 apps are available on their phones, then undercut on price.

Let’s face if if they are indeed the technological arm of the Chinese military like some claim (no dog in this fight), then profits and revenue really wouldn’t matter at the expense of OS proliferation and market share.

Sure but I never claimed Huawei would do that, they can just harvest/copy the data from google, apple and anyone else. Who are these companies going to complain to? China? That’s didn’t work out well for Motorola or a number of other American and European companies.

Huawei is in a position that Microsoft, blackberry, and everyone else never had, the support of the Chinese government. Even apple and google cant claim the full support of the American govt.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Apple?
Why people are still thinking Apple is somewhat benefit from this trade war? Apple is getting the shaft as well, having to absorb the tariffs and figure out how to move manufacturing and/or negotiate with everyone. That is costly for a business.

Who's the beneficiary here? Samsung. Samsung practically goes unchallenged in many western market with no top competitor from China. All the disruptor brands like Xiaomi, Realme, etc don't have much presence in the US/western market. Huawei is arguably the only major Chinese player that managed to pull their brand up to compete with the likes of Samsung. Without Huawei, who's going to compete with Samsung? Pixel is not gaining much traction, while Motorola is a has been.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
It would work for phones sold in China. But without GAPPS the western world will not buy these phones.
Can you imagine the resale value of a Huawei without GAPPS support? I'm all for supporting an underdog but the lack of GAPPS could quickly be followed with a block by Netflicks and other US businesses.

Given the plethora of android phones on the market, I question if many would be willing to make life hard for themselves by buying a Huawei with a homebrew OS.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Apple?
Why people are still thinking Apple is somewhat benefit from this trade war? Apple is getting the shaft as well, having to absorb the tariffs and figure out how to move manufacturing and/or negotiate with everyone. That is costly for a business.

Who's the beneficiary here? Samsung. Samsung practically goes unchallenged in many western market with no top competitor from China. All the disruptor brands like Xiaomi, Realme, etc don't have much presence in the US/western market. Huawei is arguably the only major Chinese player that managed to pull their brand up to compete with the likes of Samsung. Without Huawei, who's going to compete with Samsung? Pixel is not gaining much traction, while Motorola is a has been.
i'm confused...where did I say Apple would benefit?

You should go back and read my posts again. I only brought Apple in the discussion to show how hard it would be to launch and mobile OS without GAPPS. Apple struggled with Apple maps for years to get to on par with Google maps.
The post of mine you quoated said nothing about the things you replied to me about :confused:

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
They need to rollout Harmony OS, ASAP. Honestly, if they can get it right and build their own ecosystem with it, things would turnaround in a few years, although I do believe I have said previously, I think 2020 will be tough for them needing to rebuild and kind of rebrand, but 2021 onwards they could begin to reap the rewards.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Despite the naysayers...

Despite U.S. supply chain ban, Huawei continues to grow handset shipments

Still, Huawei's smartphone business has been doing better than even its most optimistic executives dared hope for. During the first three quarters of the year, the firm has shipped over 185 million units, a 26% year-over-year increase. Breaking down the figures, Huawei delivered 59 million units in the first quarter, another 59 million in the second quarter, and 67 million in the third quarter. Typically, Huawei releases its most technologically advanced phones in the fourth quarter. And under normal circumstances, it would expect strong sales of the Huawei Mate 30 and Huawei Mate 30 Pro. But this is not a typical year. Huawei normally shows an increase in deliveries from the first quarter to the second quarter, but this year shipments during Q2 were exactly the same as the number shipped during Q1.

Germany set to allow Huawei into 5G networks, defying pressure from the US
Germany will not ban Chinese telecoms giant Huawei from helping to build its national 5G networks, snubbing calls from the U.S. to bar the company over national security concerns.
A spokesperson for Germany's Interior Ministry confirmed in a phone call Wednesday that the decision had been made on Tuesday.
The move is a blow to the U.S., which has been pressuring its allies to exclude Huawei from 5G infrastructure, claiming its presence in the networks would enable Chinese espionage. Countries including Australia and New Zealand have already banned the company from their domestic networks.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Well now this is very interesting....

Huawei reportedly in talks to license its 5G networking technology to U.S. carriers

Earlier this month, we told you that the Trump administration had painted itself into a corner by banning Huawei, the world's largest networking equipment company, from providing gear to U.S. carriers. The problem is that U.S. tech companies don't offer the necessary technology to help American wireless operators build out their 5G networks. And Huawei's competitors, like Nokia and Ericsson, are more expensive. U.S. officials tried to get domestic tech firms like Cisco and Oracle to produce this equipment, but both declined stating that it would take too much time and money for them to enter this business.

Besides having its products banned in the U.S., Huawei cannot access the American supply chain it spent $11 billion on last year. It is all because U.S. lawmakers consider Huawei to be a security threat to the country because of a law in China. Under this law, the communist regime can demand that Huawei gather intelligence on American companies and consumers and send it back to Beijing. As a result, there is a fear that Huawei's products-both phones and networking equipment-contain a backdoor that can be used as a conduit for this intelligence. Huawei, of course, has repeatedly denied this allegation.

On Friday, Reuters reported that in a surprising move, Huawei is engaged in conversations with some U.S. telecom firms about licensing to them its 5G networking technology. Without naming the American companies involved in these talks, Huawei's Senior Vice President and board director Vincent Pang said that the conversations included discussions about both long term and one-time licensing deals. Such one-off transactions were first discussed by Huawei founder and CEO Ren Zhengfei when the executive spoke last month with The New York Times and The Economist. At the time, it was unknown whether any U.S. firms would be interested in a one-time licensing deal.

Huawei's Pang wouldn't guess whether a pact would be signed between his company and any of the anonymous U.S. carriers. But he did warn those American firms interested in a one-time licensing deal that the cost of continually improving the technology is expensive. For example, it cost Huawei billions of dollars since 2009 to develop its 5G networking equipment.

More here:

Reactions: MarkX
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.