Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
FCC plans Huawei/ZTE ban, may require ripping out existing network gear
When it comes to 5G and America's security, we can't afford to take a risk and hope for the best. We need to make sure our networks won't harm our national security, threaten our economic security, or undermine our values. The Chinese government has shown repeatedly that it is willing to go to extraordinary lengths to do just that. And Chinese law requires all companies subject to its jurisdiction to secretly comply with demands from Chinese intelligence services. As the United States upgrades its networks to the next generation of wireless technologies—5G—we cannot ignore the risk that the Chinese government will seek to exploit network vulnerabilities in order to engage in espionage, insert malware and viruses, and otherwise compromise our critical communications networks.

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
The Huawei dilemma: Washington still stuck trying to balance national security against US tech supremacy

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
US will grant Huawei trade exceptions 'very shortly'
The Commerce Department's de facto blacklisting of Huawei might loosen slightly in the near future. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross told Bloomberg in an interview that licenses allowing US companies to deal with Huawei would arrive "very shortly." There have been 260 requests, or "more than we would've thought," but Ross cautioned against assuming that the US government would rubber stamp them. Companies should assume they won't get a license, even if the US expects to approve "quite a few" of these exceptions.

Ross didn't give hints as to which firms had applied for licenses. However, the trade ban has conspicuously affected Google more than some companies. Huawei can't offer new phones with a version of Android using Google apps so long as the blacklisting remains in effect, and its ability to update existing phones will go away when temporary licenses expire. A more permanent license might let Google and Huawei resume their earlier business.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
US will grant Huawei trade exceptions 'very shortly'

Some possible good news for Huawei. I saw the Mate 30 Pro at the Huawei shop while in China. It's a great smartphone but I did not see a day and night difference between it and my P30 Pro.

Reactions: decafjava

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Someone is using mouth to speak the truth?

"If somebody from the government believes that Windows on a laptop sold by Huawei would create a national security risk to the United States, then of course that's something that we want to talk about and think hard about. But we don't think that is the case,"

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I loved my P30 Pro and I'm sure the Mate 30 Pro is just as good. But there's far too much red tape and uncertainty to even consider Huawei now.

Reactions: jamezr

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
I loved my P30 Pro and I'm sure the Mate 30 Pro is just as good. But there's far too much red tape and uncertainty to even consider Huawei now.

That’s just the thing, the Mate 30 Pro is even better than the P30 Pro, I mean what other phone OEM has 27W WIRELESS charging!? Most of them have 25W wired charging lol. +7000fps slo-mo @ 720P, huge 4500mAh battery with a 40W Charger IN THE BOX!

This is a tech marvel of a device and we cannot even buy it due to some stupid politics ?

Anyway, hopefully we see an end soon to all this crap soon, I’m still loving my P30 Pro, but it’s sucks to know that there is a phone that is above and beyond anything else around.

This whole situation has made me less comfortable with Android, as the US gov. could pull the same stunt with another OEM at any given time.

I really hope Huawei can build their own ecosystem, even if they get the Android license I hope in the background they continue to invest in HarmonyOS heavily and get developers on their side.

I remember there was a time where Samsung had a little falling out with Google when Samsung did the Magazine UI in their Note tablet’s, that we’re head and shoulders better than any other Android tablet, and Google had to reel Samsung back in, I believe Samsung could see that Google had far too much control over Android. I think this year it’s more clear that the US gov are the ones with control over it, I’m sure it has lesser OEMs with less resources worried.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Huawei, ZTE 'cannot be trusted' and pose security threat: U.S. attorney general

"their own track record, as well as the practices of the Chinese government, demonstrate that Huawei and ZTE cannot be trusted."

Reactions: Healer Flame

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
One hilarious read about the supposed “threat” that is Huawei
You'll be surprised to hear why the Commerce Department withdrew a "Huawei-killer" rule change

I mean a “threat” is a “threat” no? No matter how much money they spend.

Oh US gov, never a dull day.

Reactions: JPack

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
One hilarious read about the supposed “threat” that is Huawei
You'll be surprised to hear why the Commerce Department withdrew a "Huawei-killer" rule change

I mean a “threat” is a “threat” no? No matter how much money they spend.

Oh US gov, never a dull day.

Perfect example of the U.S. wanting to have a cake and eating it too.

Fortunately, it doesn't work that way in the real world.

Reactions: Tsepz

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Perfect example of the U.S. wanting to have a cake and eating it too.

Fortunately, it doesn't work that way in the real world.
I believe with the GDSA we are going to see a similar situation with US companies and government
With the sheer amount of users with these Chinese phones like Huawei, Vivo, Xiaomi, OPPO etc... Who have major share in huge Smartphone markets like India, they will gladly oblige to making support for their new app store at some point once they realise that they will lose Millions of users if they don't.

Money talks, even when dealing with supposed "threats"

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
US Latest Sanctions on Huawei May End Up Backfiring

Reactions: Tsepz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.