Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

contoursvt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2005
I'm finding more and more frequently that people are losing the enjoyment of just sitting and listening to music. For the ones that have a dedicated stereo who like to kick back and relax, post a picture of it and talk about it if you feel like. Its always cool to see what other people have and enjoy

I listen to more music than watch TV. Often times at the end of a hard days work, I like to drift away to music and then drag my ass to bed. I find I get the best sleep this way. A lot of what is there was purchased used otherwise I couldnt afford it, especially the big amp on top (the Threshold).

newsubs_finished.jpg

Source: Squeezebox3 and MSB Daclink III DAC
Main amp: Threshold SA3 50WPC Class A - driving main speakers
Sub amp: El-cheapo Radioshack 250W (ya right) - driving subwoofers
Pre-amp: Soundcraftsmen Pro Control Three
Main speakers: Usher S520
Subwoofers: Home built with old Vifa 10" drivers
Crossover: Audiocontrol PCA set to 50Hz on the subs.

I've got the main speakers running full range - no interaction with the crossover. The cheap radioshack amp does a fine job actually in the small 10x12' room. I doubt the subwoofers ever see much more than about 25W a piece. Its probably why the crappy amp works in this situation. The main amp I love to death because its so smooth and has huge control over the speakers. Much better than my previous 205wpc Souncraftsmen power amp.

The Usher speakers are just incredible for the price. I've heard stuff thats 3-4x the price which to my ears didnt sound as nice overall. The subs I built a few months back using old Vifa 10" drivers. Incredibly tight, deep bass out of them. Due to room gain, I have nearly flat response down to 18Hz and very usable bass down to 15Hz not that I can hear it, but my SPL meter registers the air pressure :)

Umm what else. Music library is basically all my CDs ripped as WAV which is stored on my home server. I listen to a little bit of everything...not into R&B or RAP though. At least not newer stuff.

doubleohseven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
This is my iPod SoundDock- Logitech PureFi Anywhere in Black. I consider this my own stereo since all of my music is on my iPod, and I've got a radio app. Excellent iPod speakers; I recommend them. They have a lot of power for a portable size.

3433005885_942bb280f4.jpg

logitech-pure-fi-anywhere-ipod-speaker-1.jpg

jcrazyjj

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
Macomb, MI
just imagine an older stereo receiver and 2 4"x10" car speaker sitting on a desk.

while quite ghetto it sounds 100x better than the old altec lansing speakers i had.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
This is my iPod SoundDock- Logitech PureFi Anywhere in Black. I consider this my own stereo since all of my music is on my iPod, and I've got a radio app. Excellent iPod speakers; I recommend them. They have a lot of power for a portable size.

I have the black Pure-Fi Anywhere as well, onto which I dock my 2nd gen nano from time to time. I second your recommendation; it's smooth-sounding and perfect for impromptu outdoor get-togethers. The fold-flat legs make it super-portable, and the internal rechargeable battery lasts quite a while. It's also nice to know that, when my nano's battery is on its last leg, I'll still be able to use it in the PFA, running on AC to keep the iPod going.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Almost 10 years old, but what the hell, I'll post anyway.

I just added a second HomePod today to pair them into a stereo setup. I also bought a Philips Hue Go light for added ambient light effect.

In the next year I do plan on adding some nice audiophile-grade gear for a proper stereo setup. In the meantime, the HomePod's will do nicely.

IMG_8616.jpg

Reactions: Tucom
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.