Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
Simple enough..take a screenshot of what your typical 3G reception is in your home or at work. If you have the luxury of a 3G coverage map from your provider indicate what it says you should expect and generally where you are located if you feel like it. I'm in Southern California and the AT&T website says I am completely surrounded with 3G coverage. This is my typical coverage unfortunately.

Edit: by typical I mean after having this new iphone for a day. The first iphone using edge consistently was getting almost full bars.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 85

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
London
Well I don't have my 3g iPhone yet but on my current (k810i) phone I am constantly on 3g network where ever I go, even way out walking in the woods I am usually connected to 3g. (Live just outside London)

Blackforge

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
I'm at home in Athens, AL

Average is 4 bars. Lowest is usually 3 and I do get all 5 sometimes.

In fact 3 days ago, the coverage map didn't even cover my town. So I was a little surprised when I drove home and never lost 3G signal. Checked the map Friday and the 3G map size in my area had doubled and now pretty much covers mostly everywhere I go. It looks like AT&T may have rolled out 3G in more places or expanded areas. So check that coverage map!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 56

dlamin517

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
i did the speed test on iphonespeedtest.com
this was my max sitting in my room.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 71

iflipper

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2006
Leeds, UK
I get 1 bar of 3g reception depending on which room I'm in in my home, otherwise it's 5 bars and GPRS only. This is North East Leeds in the U.K. I'm expecting full 3g when I go to the city centre as I always got 4-5 bars and Edge there.

*edit* nvm found out in another thread "Hold the home and sleep buttons together" so I'm about to try

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
I get 1 bar of 3g reception depending on which room I'm in in my home, otherwise it's 5 bars and GPRS only. This is North East Leeds in the U.K. I'm expecting full 3g when I go to the city centre as I always got 4-5 bars and Edge there.

PS how do I take a screenshot?

Hold the home button on the bottom and click the top button on the phone. You'll see a flash. The photo is is in your photos app camera roll.

BobboZR2

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2008
Ocean County, NJ :cool:

This is here in my bedroom at my computer desk where on Sprint Roaming (which is technically Verizon's network) I was lucky to get 2-3 bars.

3GReception2.jpg
3GSpeedTest.jpg

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK

*edit* nvm found out in another thread "Hold the home and sleep buttons together" so I'm about to try

That's odd, perhaps your house doesn't like phone signal (that particularly affects 3G, much moreso than GSM). I'm in NW Leeds (Headingley-ish) and get full 3G signal inside (attic) or 3/4 bars downstairs.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I don't get 3G at my house for some reason.

I did an expirement earlier, had Pandora streaming, got in the car, and I was amazed I had my wireless connection a good 300 yards away from my house or more. Then it kicked into Edge for a short distance, and then 3G.

So I am surrounded by 3G but it is not getting to my house. Which is fine because apparently have my wireless antenna covering the enitre neighborhood.

phatcat

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
5 full bars on edge on average in Naperville il. Now I get about half with 3G and more dropped calls.

3G may be going back and I'll reactivate my old and trusty 4gb model

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Full bars here. But there's an AT&T cell tower literally less than 100 feet away from my house, so I'd expect nothing less.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.PNG
    IMG_0001.PNG
    112.8 KB · Views: 72

albeli

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2008
Here
I'm going from 1 bar to 5 bars, depending where in/around my house I am. Crazy.

ETA: screen cap--best reception

2664500558_6009143573.jpg

rick98761

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2005
Kansas City, MO
I think the reason we are getting lower bars is because the 3g towers are fewer and far between. I get 1 to 2 bars a lot of the Time. Call quality is still great so it's not really a big deal. When I leave 3g area with 1 or so bars, I usually enter an edge area with full bars. Seems lime the phone is just hanging onto 3g for as long as it can, even though it could get an better edge signal. I don't think it will ever lead to a dropped call.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.