Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nionelle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2014
Hi, me and the Mrs are looking at moving into our own place soon and are discussing multiple options for our home study / gaming room and would love to see what you guys have come up with for shared spaces :)

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
Going to change it up soon (monitors probably) but this has been our office for the last year:

qFh6EPK.png

sk8andmetal

macrumors regular
we have independent room but here our setup:
Mac mini late 2012, i5, 16GB Ram, SSD 256 with Dell P2414H monitor
iPad mini 2 white 32GB
iPhone 5S white 16GB
Dell Latitue E6240, i5, 8gb, SSD 256Gb

Retina mac book Pro 13 mid 2014 i5, 16GB Ram, SSD 256Gb with Asus PA214Q
iPad 2 black 16Gb
iPhone 4S black 16Gb (soon to be replaced with iPhone 6)
Samsung GS5 16gb (corporate phone)

We are sharing printer (Canon MG5250), NAS (Syno DS214play),
Living room TV: EU48H6800 curved smart TV
BedRoom: LG 32" with aTV 2 connected to it.

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
which computer is running each of those?

mac pro?

Custom Windows PC's for both. I will be selling my wife's rig soon since she's not using it much. Giving her my MBA.

----------

I am digging this set up. Nice and clean with an extra chair to pull up. Why are you changing it?

Thanks. My wife's not using the PC as much these days (baby does not allow for it right now). So I'm selling her rig and giving her my MBA. Might get me a Surface Pro 4 when that comes out :D

I've been thinking about selling my ACD and getting a 21:9 monitor.

I do love the setup though.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Custom Windows PC's for both. I will be selling my wife's rig soon since she's not using it much. Giving her my MBA.

----------

Thanks. My wife's not using the PC as much these days (baby does not allow for it right now). So I'm selling her rig and giving her my MBA. Might get me a Surface Pro 4 when that comes out :D

I've been thinking about selling my ACD and getting a 21:9 monitor.

I do love the setup though.

custome meaning youre running a hackintosh on the right one? Clover or multibeast?

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
custome meaning youre running a hackintosh on the right one? Clover or multibeast?

Nope. I'm running windows 8.1 with ObjectDock :cool: That plus dexpot gives me most of the features I love from OSX in Windows. The only thing I wish I could do is message and facetime from my pc. Can't stand that apple locked that down to OSX.

Kurfer

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
I should post a picture of an iphone laying on a random counter/table because that's the only computer my wife uses. I have a "don't hookup with gamer chicks" policy and followed it very very strictly.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I use my Air or iPad on the sofa in the living room where I can watch my TV. Hubby has a desk that he's dying to get rid of, currently in the dining room. I don't understand how he uses the computer and watches TV in the den at the same time. He doesn't seem to pay much attention to the shows he watches. ADHD at its finest.

Reactions: AZhappyjack

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Reading this thread, I'll confess to no small surprise at the number of people who seem to be able to - or are content to be able to - work in the same room as one another.

Whatever about sharing a bedroom, or a bed, there is no way on earth I could share my personal office - or study - space with anyone in my home; I really like - and need - privacy and solitude (and personal space) when writing, thinking or researching.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Reading this thread, I'll confess to no small surprise at the number of people who seem to be able to - or are content to be able to - work in the same room as one another.

Whatever about sharing a bedroom, or a bed, there is no way on earth I could share my personal office - or study - space with anyone in my home; I really like - and need - privacy and solitude (and personal space) when writing, thinking or researching.
Headphones are a great resource when sharing office space.
I work in an open office, and often use them to drown out everyone else.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Headphones are a great resource when sharing office space.
I work in an open office, and often use them to drown out everyone else.

Open plan offices are the spawn of Satan (and very recent studies seem to suggest that all the earlier stuff about 'shared' ideas was just so much tosh…)

For real work, serious work, thinking and writing work, I need solitude, privacy, and quiet. For mundane nonsense, yes, an open plan office will (just about) do, but agreed, headphones can be a real blessing.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Open plan offices are the spawn of Satan (and very recent studies seem to suggest that all the earlier stuff about 'shared' ideas was just so much tosh…)

For real work, serious work, thinking and writing work, I need solitude, privacy, and quiet. For mundane nonsense, yes, an open plan office will (just about) do, but agreed, headphones can be a real blessing.
Even some dividers would be a help!
Can't wait for our upcoming move. Hope we get a few rooms rather than one big office.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Even some dividers would be a help!
Can't wait for our upcoming move. Hope we get a few rooms rather than one big office.

Dividers offer some degree of pretend privacy, but a private office, - or space - is better still for serious work.

This idea of 'one big room' - predicated on a misunderstood interpretation of flatter hierarchies, and the notion of 'shared' space (you can walk to someone's office if you wish to pick their brains, and send them a text in advance to request a chat so your arrival is not unexpected...)

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
We have a T-shaped desk in our home office - with our iMacs sitting back-to-back.

I also work from home, so I have my work laptop (Lenovo T420 running RHEL) sitting on the wing to the right of my 27" iMac.

We share 2 printers (HP PhotoSmart 65xx and HP LaserJet 1536dnf) and a Drobo NAS.

desk.png

Reactions: mhuggett

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
nice couple goals here! :) My wife proposed to get a couple's setup too but I kinda need my introvert time in my ''mancave''. We do play games together on the same desk though where one of us will get the Macbook Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.