Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kevbasscat

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2016
Banning, CA 92220
These are my TV/movie headphones. I've kept a pair of 7506 (and their cousin, the V6) on hand for decades.

In Japan they have their own version of these broadcaster monitoring headphones for professionals, that they don't sell outside Japan, although they are available through some speciality sites. I've forgotten the model number, but the frame, pads, the basic build is sturdier and much nicer same 40mm and 50mm drivers. I've been a working musician for 51 years. When I go into the studio, whatever studio, the majority of their headphones are either V6's or 7506's. I could never bring myself to wear some sweaty used phones other's have used though, so most musicians carry their own sets. They are the "standard" in this industry.

I discovered there are much more comfortable ear-pads though, as Sony tends to make theirs too thin for some of us "big ear folk," lol. So we upgrade them to avoid ear pain from rubbing against the actual body of the enclosure. These Beyerdynamic EDT 250 V pads are velvet and give just enough lift to solve that issue while putting your ears in a soft velvety world of sound. You can find them on Amazon.
Upgraded Earpads For MDR-7506.jpg

Edit: With that said, these are "working man's reference phones." Most have other phones for home use. I prefer not to, as I have a pair of JBL L-100's and L36's, the monitors most rock music was mixed on. You are literally "inside the music with these speakers. The new series of L-100's are $4,000 pair today. I think they were $900 when I bought mine in the 70's. So given inflation, not too far off, but danggggg! If you lije your music real, live and loud, these are your babies.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Much prefer the older V6 model for audio referencing. Especially with those Beyerdynamic replacement cushions. They're brilliant is what they are. I own several replacement sets for multiple cans on the off chance they go out of business.

Reactions: rhythmac

Kevbasscat

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2016
Banning, CA 92220
Much prefer the older V6 model for audio referencing. Especially with those Beyerdynamic replacement cushions. They're brilliant is what they are. I own several replacement sets for multiple cans on the off chance they go out of business.

That's a mighty off chance lol, unless you know something I don't. I've only had one pair of V6's and they grew legs and walked off. I should buy another pair, it's been 20 years at least. I'm listening to the MDR 7510's atm. warmer bas flatter highs, which I prefer. I always felt there was a spike at around 1.25 Khz on the 7506's, but that's maybe just my ear. My ear is what it is, and telling myself it isn't doesn't change my perception or reality. Idk if you've listened to the MDR 7510's. They have the 50mm drivers that are tilted into your ear canal. Warmer and smoother to me. Some people love them some hate them, they're pretty subjective. Not many in the middle of the road.

Those Beyerdynamic replacement cushions are heaven, and add hours of cushy listening enjoyment. I'm just kicking myself for finding out about them this last year though. Wicked Cushions made ear pads that were thicker and of better material, and those were what I used prior. Not bad, but not velvet. Actually if Beyerdynamic's ear pads are that nice, it makes me want to buy a pair of their headphones, just to experience their quality. But alas, I'm just a one trick pony haha.

Kinda funny. All these gorgeous great phones on here, and we go on and on about a $75 pair:). I love that in the studio, they let just enough sound in so I don't need guitarss or drum mixes in my phones so the overall sound level is quieter, and that's a big plus for me. Ear fatigue is the source of a lot of poor mixes. I hate coming back the next day, and realizing we waisted hours for naught. Learning to recognize it early just takes years to develop awareness early. I suck at honestly. Usually a couple hours late. Some people:)... lol.

Reactions: 0388631

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Nah not at all. I was joking a little. The Sony cushions disintegrate if you use them for more than a few hours a day. When I replaced the cushions on an older pair of V6s I owned I had no idea how to do it apart from a crude text post I'd read online. It's only in the last 5 years that people have uploaded videos of it to YouTube.

I was talking to a studio owner a while back who said something similar. The V6 is the base for golden standards in terms of over ear monitors. You think they'd bite the dust with how the wiring is set up but they last. I'll admit I love good cans with a detachable audio cable. Makes storage neater.

I've never liked the 7506 and even then people always said they were a step down from the V6s. Listening to good mastered classical, for example, on the V6s, is mind blowing.

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
Do you have any other cans to compare them with?

I'm looking to buy a set but don't know if I should. I just spent a few weeks with the Sennheiser 58X Jubilee but sold them because they were very similar to my Monoprice 1060. Those are open backs, as well as my Sennheiser 558 and Philips SHP9500.

Those BeyerDynamics are closed back and I have the Fostex T40-RP, not sure if I should indulge myself even more.

eurasian

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2017
I can say that they seem exceptional. Very good, ergonomic finishes (they can be used for hours and are not uncomfortable), they isolate quite well from ambient noise (eye, they have no active noise cancellation) and the sound quality is incredible; controlled and marked bass, medium and very sharp treble. Although it is recommended to use with an amplifier to have its full potential, this 80 ohm version works well connected to the computer, mobile, etc. From my point of view, unbeatable quality / price ratio.

Reactions: sman789

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
Resurrected the first nice pair of headphones I purchased, ~6 years ago.

JVC HA-RX700, great value set of closed headphones. The only negative is they have the worst ear pads imaginable, thin material that gets schweaty. Here's what they look like:

113059_HA-RX700_J.jpg

Putting on new pads, these will help calm the itch of buying the DT770 as seen above :D. The closed back is nice for multiplayer gaming with my microphone, I use a standalone XLR mic that's pretty sensitive.

20190925_064809_HDR.jpg 20190925_064829_HDR.jpg 20190925_064851_HDR.jpg 20190925_065844_HDR.jpg

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
A bit more tinkering. I have the Monoprice M1060, a planar headphone. Check the massive driver:
20190925_224017.jpg

They're great for the price and you can easily modify them to your liking. BUT they have this headband where the cups can turn on the X and Y axis infinitely. It's a floppy mess!
20190925_223701.jpg

I've taken it off and put on a rigid HiFiMan headband on.
20190926_010059.jpg

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Do let us know how you find them; above all, how do they compare with the B&W P9s?
Will do. I'm comparing them to the Sony WH-1000XM3's. So far I am slightly underwhelmed with the Bose. The Sony's compare more equally to the B&W P9's. The Bose seem a little mutted, lacking, especially with the bass. I find them kind of flat. Beautifully designed and made but so far not very exciting......

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Will do. I'm comparing them to the Sony WH-1000XM3's. So far I am slightly underwhelmed with the Bose. The Sony's compare more equally to the B&W P9's. The Bose seem a little mutted, lacking, especially with the bass. I find them kind of flat. Beautifully designed and made but so far not very exciting......

Thanks for the feed-back, and, to be honest, I'm not terribly surprised.

kamikazeeMC

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2017
Perth, Western Australia
Haven't used them much lately as they're disconnected and wanted to clean my desk up. AKG K712 Pro with a ZMF suede Pilot Pad (headband had a hot spot on my head), Magni 3 was fed off a Sound Blaster Z card.

AirPods because I don't notice them when wearing out and about and I can sleep on my side with them. Thinking of picking up a pair of BT NC over ears.
IMG_2441.jpg

Reactions: sanzo and AVBeatMan

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Interesting review of Bose as a company and its products. I've never been a fan of Bose ever since the piece of **** stereo they put in my Dad's 1990 Chevrolet Corvette.

The headphones of theirs I've seen have always looked and felt like a lower quality product but with a high price.

silent alarm

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2019
East Coast
M50's and Sennheiser HD 6XX's here. M50s are more neutral than people give them credit for, they're pretty good monitors.

I use M50's for everything and the 6XX's come into play when I'm mixing songs together - just another variable to account for to make sure it's a bulletproof mix.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
FWIW, I might be selling my lightly used HD-6XX, they're an Ireland build (vs. the current, priced bumped product), plus a set of Dekoni Elite Sheepskin earpads. They're brilliant, I just want to move to closed back, generally don't stockpile too many headphones I don't use. Box, mint condition, etc. :)

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
So just a few days ago by a random YouTube algorithm, this guy Zeos and his channel appeared in my feed. So I watched one of the videos of a review he did on something I don't remember right now. I immediately liked this guy and his channel so I subscribed.

Some of you probably already knew of this channel as he has over 1,200 videos on headphones, amps and DACs and more, but I just found him.

Anyway, the magic of the algorithm struck again and in my YouTube feed just now appeared his review of the Schiit Jotunheim amp/DAC he did from 3 years ago and of which I just ordered this past weekend. Funny how that works.... anyway, Zeos approves of the Jotunheim and calls it "perfect."

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
So just a few days ago by a random YouTube algorithm, this guy Zeos and his channel appeared in my feed. So I watched one of the videos of a review he did on something I don't remember right now. I immediately liked this guy and his channel so I subscribed.

Some of you probably already knew of this channel as he has over 1,200 videos on headphones, amps and DACs and more, but I just found him.

Anyway, the magic of the algorithm struck again and in my YouTube feed just now appeared his review of the Schiit Jotunheim amp/DAC he did from 3 years ago and of which I just ordered this past weekend. Funny how that works.... anyway, Zeos approves of the Jotunheim and calls it "perfect."

He's the man who introduced me to consumer "audiophilism."

I've purchased the M1060 and the T50RP after listening to him jabber about them lol.

Speaking of which, I'm listening to the M1060 right now (DX80 player and M-Stage amp).

Attachments

• 20191106_071200_HDR.jpg
    20191106_071200_HDR.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 183

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I've purchased the M1060 and the T50RP after listening to him jabber about them lol.

Speaking of which, I'm listening to the M1060 right now (DX80 player and M-Stage amp).
I'm going to look those videos up soon and check them out.

In the meantime, the YouTube algorithm strikes again. Here is a factory tour of Schiit that I found interesting tonight.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
The Jotunheim arrived today and I'm listening to it now. I'll reserve judgment on it for a few days yet as I run it through its paces. Today I can't give it a fair review because all I can run with it is the single-ended connection.

The balanced cable for the BLON's came in, the BLON's are on an unknown delivery date still. Probably traveling from the factory in China, I bet. The balanced cable for the Sennheiser HD650's should arrive tomorrow which then I can start to really see what the Jotunheim can do.

The power behind the single-ended connection is quite weak for my DT880's at less than half a watt, almost a 1/3 of a watt at 250 ohms. The Magni actually pushes a slightly higher power than that.

However, once I connect the Senn's and the BLON's to the XLR balanced connection, I'll be getting a full 5 watts per channel for the BLON's at 32 ohms and .9 watts for the Senn's at 300 ohms.

So the BLON's will be the ones I'll really use to make a judgment for the Jotunheim. But short of that, right now with the DT880's and a single-ended connection, it still sounds nice.

Oh, the input I'm using is the Modi Multibit DAC optional board connected to my PC and FLAC files.

As you can see, the Jotunheim is considerably larger than the Magni and Modi next to it.

IMG_20191107_161843.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.