Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
aa004c3d0390dec3e75d6543f529753b.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Sure you have. You've replied, liked and commented numerous times on their album art I've posted in the other thread. You've probably never listened to their music before, though.

No, that is true; evidently, I liked the look of their album sleeves, and their album art - and, besides, I tend to "like" many of your posts.

However, I have noticed that quite a number of bands/groups have been cited in recent months that I have never ever heard of, and I used to pride myself on having a reasonable knowledge of music - but, clearly, that no longer applies to contemporary music.

But, you are quite right: I have never actually listened to their music.

Nevertheless, I did take the time to track down and read a review of your new set of headphones (in Audiophile On).

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
They're pretty fantastic, and unlike some audio-phile-ish headphones, they can be powered from devices without an amp, due to the lower impedance (35ohms), but improve with a small headphone amp. $130 is sort of a steal for these in terms of SQ in the sub $250 headphone market. They're an open back design, so that means sound leakage both ways, but a glorious open soundstage (and I find a little easier to wear, they sort of "breath"). I will say some planars can be a little bright, meaning the high frequency can be kind of piercing, and if you're not into that, it can be fatiguing unless you EQ it a touch.
I really did want them. I was just annoyed at the price change as I ordered, so I didn't pull the plug on them. It wasn't until a few hours they were suddenly "sold out", but you could still get them at regular price. ? If they go on sale again, I'll be sure to pick them up.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I was able to re-purpose the Magni and the Modi today in the back room. I set up a headless Raspberry Pi 3 and copied all of my music from my main PC to a large USB flash drive. Then I use VLC on the Raspberry Pi in conjunction with a VLC Remote app on the Google Play Store for my Android phone to control the music.

The app seems a bit flakey at times though and if I can't iron out the drops I'll look for a different way to do it. But for now, I have it working well enough given my goal of having a headless digital source for the Schiit stack in this room and to control it from my phone.

I do have a case for the Raspberry Pi but I don't like the poor fit it has on it. I did order a new one earlier today.

View attachment 877790
I think I figured out the songs cutting out problem. I replaced the USB thumb drive that housed my music with an external SSD. I’ve been listening for a couple of hours straight and encountered no issues.

Adding the SSD takes up a bit more desk space, but not much more.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
My beaten up studio 3s, with the pads all roughed up, and its broken arches repaired with electrically isolating tape.

I just got new foam pads for them and my QC35s this past "Buen Fin" (The Good Weekend, Mexico's third world version of USA's black friday-ciber monday weekend, which comes 1-2 weeks before the actual BF).

Attachments

• IMG_2373.jpg
    IMG_2373.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 266
Reactions: JayMysterio

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
How do you rate the 58x vs the 6xx? I tried the 58x for a few days but sold them, too similar a sound to my modded m1060.

I'd rate both a 10/10 in their own way. They can sound similar to each other as they have the "Sennheiser sound" but the 58X seems to have more bass than the 6XX. The 58X can seem more lively than the 6XX which is a bit more laid back. Both have plenty of detail. But for sound quality and things like separation and detail my Focal Elex trumps both of them.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
What software are you using? I messed around with Volumio a few years back then got distracted with retro pi.

Edit: Ah, just read above you're using VLC.
Yup. VLC. Seems to work rather well too. It only cost me like $2, maybe $3 for this VLC Mobile app on the Play Store to make it work the way I wanted.

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
Budget King, the Philips SHP-9500:
20191210_102901_HDR.jpg
I got them second hand for dirt cheap. I painted the grill because I didn't like the L/R markings for the the sides. Using my iBasso DX80 DAP in DAC mode on the MacBook, Audirvana as the player (it can use external DACs in exclusive mode).

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Starting a new role and will be doing quite a bit of travel.

Go to headphones for battery, sound quality, and noise cancellation from the experts here? Figured best place as any to ask :)

Thanks!

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Stumbling upon this thread, I am struck by how many headphones I seem to own these days.

I just got a pair of Bose QC35 Series II for free for sitting through a sales call for a vendor I was considering for my company anyway. Fair enough, I suppose. I now have a 45-60 minute train ride as a part of my daily commute, so they'll come in handy. I'm still getting used to them, and was never historically a fan of Bose in general, but hey — free, right?

I also have a set of old Grado SR-60's I bought ages ago (good sound, but a bit too much bleed for listening with other people too close by) and some Sony MDR-V700's I used to use for playing occasional DJ sets (good enough for those purposes, not as great for discerning listening at home).

Why do I still really want some AirPods Pro? I think they'll suit me better on my commute, as they're much smaller and will feel less isolating while walking down the street. Many people walk down the streets of New York City with big headphones on, but that's just not me: I like to be at least somewhat in tune with my surrounding environment.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Starting a new role and will be doing quite a bit of travel.

Go to headphones for battery, sound quality, and noise cancellation from the experts here? Figured best place as any to ask :)

Thanks!
I think you were the one I bought the B&O H7's from a few years back. They were great cans and I loved them a lot. I've since given them to my sister who is enjoying them these days.

They fit well over the ear, had very nice sound, fit and wore well and the battery life was phenomenal. I think the current version of the H7's is the H9 3rd gen with ANC. https://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/headphones/beoplay-h9?variant=beoplay-h9-3-matte-black

I've not tried any of these other ones, but for portability and especially ANC, I hear (no pun intended) that Bose and Sony are at the top of the game with those two things in mind.

You might also poke around the forums at https://forum.hifiguides.com/c/headphones as well.

Also, check out Z Reviews YouTube channel and search his page for any particular model you're looking at. There's a good chance he's probably already reviewed it. https://www.youtube.com/user/ZeosReviews

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I think you were the one I bought the B&O H7's from a few years back. They were great cans and I loved them a lot. I've since given them to my sister who is enjoying them these days.

They fit well over the ear, had very nice sound, fit and wore well and the battery life was phenomenal. I think the current version of the H7's is the H9 3rd gen with ANC. https://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/headphones/beoplay-h9?variant=beoplay-h9-3-matte-black

I've not tried any of these other ones, but for portability and especially ANC, I hear (no pun intended) that Bose and Sony are at the top of the game with those two things in mind.

You might also poke around the forums at https://forum.hifiguides.com/c/headphones as well.

Also, check out Z Reviews YouTube channel and search his page for any particular model you're looking at. There's a good chance he's probably already reviewed it. https://www.youtube.com/user/ZeosReviews

I think you are right! Glad they served you well and they had a great life of usage :)

I definitely will utilize those resources. Thanks so much and in my initial research it definitely seems like the Sony Wwhatever name and the Bose QC35 and the 700 are the best out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.