Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trifid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 10, 2011
It's been 10 years of iOS, and it's hard to believe Apple continues to neglect this, I keep coming across situations where that abominable volume HUD gets in the way.

Today for example I'm looking at news, I play a video in place, not fullscreen, and of course immediately the video starts playing I adjust the volume, and half of the video gets obstructed.

Yes I know in fullscreen video the volume HUD is minimized, that's great, now we need the same change applied OS-wide.

I thought it'd be useful for everyday users to post volume HUDs in different scenarios, who knows maybe Apple will look at this thread some day and realize the atrocious UX and perhaps change it?

So post your use cases, lets make a gallery and show Apple what millions of users are going through every day.

Here's mine:

Apple News:

kKPl7Iq.png

Reactions: dk001 and arnabdas

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Meh. Also been that way on MacOS for ages. And every TV I've owned has some version of volume adjust that covers part of the image.

This would be pretty low on the rankings vs other fixes/additions as not OCD enough to really notice/care about temporary on-screen widget.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Meh. Also been that way on MacOS for ages. And every TV I've owned has some version of volume adjust that covers part of the image.

This would be pretty low on the rankings vs other fixes/additions as not OCD enough to really notice/care about temporary on-screen widget.

Lets see ... I have a LG, two Samsung, and an RCA. On all of them the volume control is minimized in the lower left hand corner ...
On the IPP. Doesn't cover as much but the placement is ludicrous.
Volume_IPP.jpg

Reactions: trifid
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.