Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The desk is a walnut countertop from ikea. It's really heavy but it's not solid walnut it just has a layer of walnut wood over the top. Not as good as solid walnut but better than laminate.

Better than laminate, agreed, but while a walnut veneer is lovely, solid walnut is possibly my favourite wood.

Anyway, it looks gorgeous, and do enjoy it.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
I love it. New wireless keyboard from Microsoft and some cool Scandinavian headphone brand being added to the setup.
CEB7-CC8-C-D5-AA-4318-B91-C-7-F03-D505-CA37.jpg

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
I like to keep my setup small and ergonomic. Everything I need is easily within reach on an IKEA Idåsen table top.

Today I took delivery of the Herman Miller Cosm Chair, love it! Ergonomically and aesthetically this chair is just amazing. Major improvement for my workflow! I can now easily work 12 hours in a row and feel like I've only just sat down in it.

IMG_0311.jpg

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
I like to keep my setup small and ergonomic. Everything I need is easily within reach on an IKEA Idåsen table top.

Today I took delivery of the Herman Miller Cosm Chair, love it! Ergonomically and aesthetically this chair is just amazing. Major improvement for my workflow! I can now easily work 12 hours in a row and feel like I've only just sat down in it.

View attachment 879774

Nice set up. What are the white monitors?

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
Nice set up. What are the white monitors?

Thanks! These are the Avantone Mixcubes. They’re for reference checking your mix. Since they sound so dry the old saying is “if it sounds good on the mixcubes, it’ll sound good anywhere”. It’s not that they sound bad though, It’s just that they don’t alter anything to your sound. They’ll tell you like it is, so to say. :)

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Thanks! These are the Avantone Mixcubes. They’re for reference checking your mix. Since they sound so dry the old saying is “if it sounds good on the mixcubes, it’ll sound good anywhere”. It’s not that they sound bad though, It’s just that they don’t alter anything to your sound. They’ll tell you like it is, so to say. :)

Very cool. I currently use a set of g1 KRK rockit 8s & Fostex PMo.4s for reference. Ive been looking into a third set that is small w/ even & clean response. While the KRKs are fantastic for this, they’re really big taking up precious Realestate.

Your mixcubes look to fit my spacial needs, are reasonably priced & they look very sharp on the workspace. Something to start saving some pennies for anyhow.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
2016 Pre-rugrat.
mancave 10-30-16.jpg

2017 Bun in the oven.
GetFileAttachment.jpg

Fast forward to December 2019
Explosion.JPG

The formula to this hair pulling Mess?

Move+NewJob+kiddo+kiddo numero dos/nosleep+promotion+curious toddlers*broken toy mending ♾️ =unending explosion of disarray.

Truly, the photo doesn't capture the level of disarray that this room has spiraled into :D I do have a cunning plan in the works to recapture this space but will take some time, elbow grease and $$$ to accomplish.

That and I have to potty train my oldest first.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Are they actually all in active use? I'm guessing there must be an end to their practical use. Kudos though, it looks like beautiful chaos.

A moment of silence for our brothers in the poopzone.
takes off hat

Practical? Certainly not. It’s as much a hobbyist collection as practical daily drivers. I disclose fully to thoroughly enjoying the practice of building up and maintaining 1998-2005 powerpc macs so they're comfortably usable in the twilight of 2019. My own daily drivers are an intel a1127 macbook 5,1 and a1186 macpro 1,1 (both running elcap) with a close second to my a1177 powermac 11,2 (running leopard) which is my current DAW. All of these computers run very well for my day to day needs. My a1047 powermac 7,2 (running leopard and Lubuntu) lives in my garage. Even my 233mhz G3 imac is loaded up with free/abandonware edutainment software for my curious toddler to start banging/learning on.

They all still work.

Last edited:

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada

View attachment 879774

Nice setup. I've often wanted to learn to play the piano. Is it better to get a full size keyboard to learn? What Mac are you using with this setup?

Reactions: Hessel89

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
Nice setup. I've often wanted to learn to play the piano. Is it better to get a full size keyboard to learn? What Mac are you using with this setup?

Thanks! I can barely play well enough to play simple lead melodies that pop into my head ? Most chords I'll draw in Logic tbh.. I never learned to play piano so I can't really comment on the learning aspect but I will say that any less then 4 octaves will feel cramped.. You'd be shifting octaves up and down all the time..

I use a Mac Mini.

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
I recommend learning on a full size keyboard with weighted action. It’s ultimately easier IME to learn on a full-size 88 keyboard and then to smaller keyboards than the other way round. Full size keyboards also aid in the development of your hand muscles, memory & dexterity.

With that being said, play on what you can afford that is a full size 88 keys (7 octaves up/down) keyboard. Definitely worth having a kb attached to your Mac. They are lots of fun with apps like GarageBand or its big brother Logic ?

Reactions: Hessel89

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Really dug out the past pictures to compare with the present - not a lot has changed really, though there are the relatively recent additions of the Philips Hue Playbar and LG Ultrafine monitor.

1dmDIjU.jpg

T9UcN1z.jpg

FlajNpo.jpg

Now...
tht96bb.jpg

6QnoH02.jpg

FXr9uAf.jpg

On my (Ikea Linnmon/Adils) desk currently: Blackmagic eGPU, generic laptop stand, 2016 13" MacBook Pro, LG Ultrafine 5K, Ikea Forsa lamp with Hue bulb, Hue Playbar, Sonos Play:5, generic Qi charger, Magic Keyboard, Magic Trackpad 2, Magic Mouse, Classicbot Classic! I use a reupholstered Giroflex G64 chair which is a lot more comfortable for longer work sessions than anything I've used in the past.

I guess it feels like not a lot has changed over the years, but only the Magic Mouse (I've used the same Magic Mouse since 2009) and corkboard remain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.