Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
Well I've had my Power Beats Pro's since launch. I mainly use them for the gym and use regular Airpod's for all my casual listening and talking. Last week after working out my right headphone stopped working. After frustratingly trying to reset them per the instructions, the case finally reset and it started working again. Then on Mon it stopped working again and they could not be reset no matter what I tried. I did "Forget this Device" and then they would no longer pair at all. I made an appointment with the Genius and they could not get them to pair either, on my phone or any others in the store so they sent them in. We'll see what happens.

foley7

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2009
Seems to be a lot of actual owners on here so I will ask a question. I purchased a used Powerbeats Pro True Wireless Headphones from a reputable vendor on eBay. Everything checks out that they are legit. I verified the Serial Number with apple through chat last night. The box and wireless charging case have legit SN. However the left and right earpieces each have a different SN from the case and from each other. Apple claims that the serial number on the case is the only SN they track. Can someone who bought these new from Apple, Bestbuy, etc see if all 4 of the SN on the product match? I scoured the web and most say that their SN do not match but i was hoping to get confirmation here. I'm trying to determine if they are counterfeit.

TweakOnline

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2012
Europe
I didn't like the sound of the PowerBeats Pro. I thought at first that I was given a defect sample. I exchanged them for a new one and tried them out directly. This is what I thought:

+ Excellent design, fits nice in my ear
+ Battery should be fine, I haven't tested it but 9 hours seems to be pretty great
+ Controls are awesome, very easy to be accessed

However...
- Lacks bass, the AirPods (1st generation) has a much deeper bass
- Superficial, low and high tones are not as exciting

I have compared these PowerBeats with my AirPods (1st generation) and Plantronics Backbeats. Both headphones offer more bass (which is a must, as a heavy Defqon1 listener) and deeper tones. I have returned both PowerBeats, sold the AirPods and bought the AirPods Pro instead. Much more happy with my choice. :)

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
I didn't like the sound of the PowerBeats Pro. I thought at first that I was given a defect sample. I exchanged them for a new one and tried them out directly. This is what I thought:

+ Excellent design, fits nice in my ear
+ Battery should be fine, I haven't tested it but 9 hours seems to be pretty great
+ Controls are awesome, very easy to be accessed

However...
- Lacks bass, the AirPods (1st generation) has a much deeper bass
- Superficial, low and high tones are not as exciting

I have compared these PowerBeats with my AirPods (1st generation) and Plantronics Backbeats. Both headphones offer more bass (which is a must, as a heavy Defqon1 listener) and deeper tones. I have returned both PowerBeats, sold the AirPods and bought the AirPods Pro instead. Much more happy with my choice. :)
AP and APP have inferior bass to the PBP.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I was under the impression that to connect my PowerBeats Pro to another device I just simply had to select them from the list of bluetooth devices. However if my PBP were last connected to my iPad, although I can see the PBP in the list on my Apple Watch when I tap them they never connect and give me an error saying they couldn't be connected.

To get my PBP to connect to my Apple Watch I first have to connect them to my iPhone.

Does anyone know how to get them working properly so I can't need to take this intermediary step?

Many thanks.

M.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Seems to be a lot of actual owners on here so I will ask a question. I purchased a used Powerbeats Pro True Wireless Headphones from a reputable vendor on eBay. Everything checks out that they are legit. I verified the Serial Number with apple through chat last night. The box and wireless charging case have legit SN. However the left and right earpieces each have a different SN from the case and from each other. Apple claims that the serial number on the case is the only SN they track. Can someone who bought these new from Apple, Bestbuy, etc see if all 4 of the SN on the product match?
I don't have the box anymore, but the serial numbers on the earpieces are different from each other and from the charging case. I bought directly from Apple.

mbg56

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2019
I've had my PBP for about a week now and really like them. I have had an issue a couple of times when I pause the music play with one tap on the "B" I can not get it to start playing again with another single tap.

I tried putting the headphones back into the charge case to reset them without luck. If I reset my phone it works fine again. I'm using the SiriusXM app on my iPhone.

Wondering if it's the headphones or more likely the app?

Anyone else had this issue?

Thanks

HUNTERabc

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2020
Las Vegas
Just got mine today. Somehow I get a better seal with my $20 over the ear earbuds than thsee.They seem to sit pretty well on my ear otherwise. Little effort to to put them on, but I like them. Not much difference in sound quality than my cheap earbuds, but I like the beats logo, got them in blue.

HUNTERabc

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2020
Las Vegas
Guys question..is it normal for the charging case to lose charge while the buds are in it, even though the earbuds are at 100%? thanks

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I've had my Powerbeats pros for several weeks now and I've had a problem using them to watch TV with a Bluetooth transmitter attached to the TV. The problem is if if I press the Powerbeats logo button the audio turns off and I can't get it to turn back on I have to return the Powerbeats to the case and remove them again to receive audio. It appears the Bluetooth isn't lost when this happens but the audio is gone and no matter what I press will not come back. If anyone else has this problem and has a solution for it please let me know. It's very easy to accidentally press the logo button and therefore lose audio and it's a pain to get it back.

Vdovin

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2019
I've had my PBP for about a week now and really like them. I have had an issue a couple of times when I pause the music play with one tap on the "B" I can not get it to start playing again with another single tap.

I tried putting the headphones back into the charge case to reset them without luck. If I reset my phone it works fine again. I'm using the SiriusXM app on my iPhone.

Wondering if it's the headphones or more likely the app?

Anyone else had this issue?

Thanks

It’s definitely the app had the same issue. Most apps fixed this now. Something to do with the OS13
[automerge]1593122341[/automerge]
Guys question..is it normal for the charging case to lose charge while the buds are in it, even though the earbuds are at 100%? thanks

Maybe very small amount of charge not noticeable.

They last me for about 2-3 weeks depending on the usage. Maybe about 3 or 4 times a week for 1 to 2 hours at a time.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I’m six months in and I can honestly say the experience has gone down hill to the point where I will not recommend to anyone to buy these. I’m fed up with one of the earbuds having a dead battery after sitting in the case overnight. I can’t justify the exceptional fitness stability when the there is a 50% chance I won’t be able to use both when I want to workout. I find myself fidgeting with them to make sure they are seated properly only to find one of them dead when I need them. I tried to get Apple to help but they brushed it off. My only consolation is that I can file a warranty claim in six months with the credit card company I purchased them with. Moving on from Beats products.

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
I’m six months in and I can honestly say the experience has gone down hill to the point where I will not recommend to anyone to buy these. I’m fed up with one of the earbuds having a dead battery after sitting in the case overnight. I can’t justify the exceptional fitness stability when the there is a 50% chance I won’t be able to use both when I want to workout. I find myself fidgeting with them to make sure they are seated properly only to find one of them dead when I need them. I tried to get Apple to help but they brushed it off. My only consolation is that I can file a warranty claim in six months with the credit card company I purchased them with. Moving on from Beats products.

online support? Or did you try a physical store? They should do something if its in the first year.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
online support? Or did you try a physical store? They should do something if its in the first year.
TL/DR: I got the runaround.
Phone support only since the nearest store is 3 hours away. 1st call offered to send a replacement unit, case and earbuds, to use while mine was being repaired but I decided to try one more reset before that. 2nd call was informed that 1st offer wasn’t available but they would send a replacement right earbud. Received an empty box with spaces for case and each earbud to be packaged individually. Called AC support for clarification and was informed the two previous offers were limited to AC+ suppport, which mine don’t have, so I would need to send in the whole unit.
I send them off, case and all, resigned to not have music or podcasts while exercising for a bit of time. Next day, I get a text saying they have it. A few hours later, another text saying they’re sending it back. An email clarifies that they couldn’t complete the repair and more information would be in the box. In the box, just a generic pamphlet saying they tested it and it passed inspection and has the latest firmware. I try them out, still paired to my account with same name and they work. Next morning I put them on and whammo the right one is dead.
The only good thing I have to report from that experience is how quick the turnaround time was.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.