Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcaswell

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2013
Love the Airpods but would like a better fit.
Have you tried those silicone ear hook thingies that slide on to Airpods? Plain Airpods actually fit fine in my ears as-is, but (before I sold them) I usually used EarBuddyz, which seemed to give a slightly better seal and improved bass response a bit, and I did like that extra security they provided against falling out if they got bumped by my bike helmet strap or something.

Takes an extra 10 seconds or so to put these on (can't stay on when placed in the charging case), but then again, the Powerbeats Pro take a little longer to put on too compared to plain Airpods, so the difference is negligible.

I should note that I also tried EarBuddyz Ultra, which incorporate a little silicone earbud piece that I thought would seal in the ear canal (like the Powerbeats), but I found that they didn't really work for me, and actually quite noticeably muffled the sound quality.

nepats81

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2014
Have you tried those silicone ear hook thingies that slide on to Airpods? Plain Airpods actually fit fine in my ears as-is, but (before I sold them) I usually used EarBuddyz, which seemed to give a slightly better seal and improved bass response a bit, and I did like that extra security they provided against falling out if they got bumped by my bike helmet strap or something.

Takes an extra 10 seconds or so to put these on (can't stay on when placed in the charging case), but then again, the Powerbeats Pro take a little longer to put on too compared to plain Airpods, so the difference is negligible.

I should note that I also tried EarBuddyz Ultra, which incorporate a little silicone earbud piece that I thought would seal in the ear canal (like the Powerbeats), but I found that they didn't really work for me, and actually quite noticeably muffled the sound quality.

I bought the Airpods sight unseen when they first released. Never got a great fit so I got the earbuddyz. IMO huge hassle. Now you got to remember to bring your tips, put them on take them off .

Better off getting Jaybird vistas or Powerbeats pro.

Fit is the most important thing. None of you guys would buy shoes that don’t fit.

mikemj23

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
Went with the Blue Powerbeats. Quick review:

-Fit is excellent. I'm using largest ear plugs and there is no way they are falling out (issue with my Airpods).
-Sound is great. IMHO way better than Airpods.
-Love the hard volume control.
-Hey Siri works excellent. Just went on jog and used Siri Shortcuts and changed tracks multiple times using Hey Siri.
-Was concerned about the ear hooks with glasses and sunglasses and no issues there either. We will see how this goes after multiple hours of use.

Overall very happy with the purchase and the blue looks great.

nepats81

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2014
Went with the Blue Powerbeats. Quick review:

-Fit is excellent. I'm using largest ear plugs and there is no way they are falling out (issue with my Airpods).
-Sound is great. IMHO way better than Airpods.
-Love the hard volume control.
-Hey Siri works excellent. Just went on jog and used Siri Shortcuts and changed tracks multiple times using Hey Siri.
-Was concerned about the ear hooks with glasses and sunglasses and no issues there either. We will see how this goes after multiple hours of use.

Overall very happy with the purchase and the blue looks great.

How’s the blue? More of a navy or royal? I’m debating between ivory or blue. Not sure which one will pick up more chicks

davidov85

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2017
I've had my powerbeats pro for 5 days now. A first impression...

In terms of expectations I was mostly concerned about the sound of the powerbeats pro. The reputation of Beats isn't that good with previous models of their headphones being mainly bass heavy and not very balanced. Surprisingly, I was at first slightly disappointed by the bass these buds generate but after swapping out the eartips the bass improved. But one thing is clear, these buds are not bass heavy. I actually think they are quite balanced. I would describe them as being easy on the ears, crisp and slightly softer in the higher tones. But for me, personally, it makes them very comfortable to listen to!

In terms of fit... The eartips make sure you get the fit you like which can be as tight or as loose as you like, depending on your preference/situation. E.g. At work I prefer to be able to hear more ambient noise so I don't have to take them out when someone addresses me. But the tips are not made to be swapped frequently. It's a bit fidgety to change the eartips so you have to pick a size and leave those on. When I wear them it's almost like they aren't there! I just have music in my ears, the powerbeats pro are not heavy at all and are very comfortable to wear!

Ease of use: no discussion that the pairing process is smooth as f***! I did have some difficulty pairing them to my iPhone after having them paired to my windows laptop. I had to go to my Bluetooth settings to pair instead having the popup when opening the case. One thing I absolutely love is the physical buttons! One of the main reasons I picked these over the airpods! So easy to just adjust the volume with a physical volume rocker instead of having grab your phone or even worse, saying hey Siri...

Price: are they worth it...? They are expensive, no doubt about that! I bought them as a birthday present to myself. There are less expensive ear buds out there but I don't think they offer the same combination of comfort, ease of use and sound quality you get with the powerbeats pro. So yes, you can get cheaper buds, but I'm not convinced you will get the same value for those buds as what you get from the powerbeats pro!

I'll see how everything goes and might share some more later!

Cheers!

mcaswell

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2013
So, I was wearing mine for about 4-5 hours a day over the weekend while working on a drainage project in the backyard. I found them to be very comfortable... perhaps too comfortable. With the ~90+ degree heat, I decided to take a quick dip in the pool to cool off. Totally forgot that I had the earbuds on until I went underwater and the music went to crap. They were only submerged for a few seconds, but I dried them off, and they still work fine.

Reactions: Javabird

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
Anyone having problems with the left headphone not charging in the case while the right one is fully charged?

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
I've had my powerbeats pro for 5 days now. A first impression...

In terms of expectations I was mostly concerned about the sound of the powerbeats pro. The reputation of Beats isn't that good with previous models of their headphones being mainly bass heavy and not very balanced. Surprisingly, I was at first slightly disappointed by the bass these buds generate but after swapping out the eartips the bass improved. But one thing is clear, these buds are not bass heavy. I actually think they are quite balanced. I would describe them as being easy on the ears, crisp and slightly softer in the higher tones. But for me, personally, it makes them very comfortable to listen to!

In terms of fit... The eartips make sure you get the fit you like which can be as tight or as loose as you like, depending on your preference/situation. E.g. At work I prefer to be able to hear more ambient noise so I don't have to take them out when someone addresses me. But the tips are not made to be swapped frequently. It's a bit fidgety to change the eartips so you have to pick a size and leave those on. When I wear them it's almost like they aren't there! I just have music in my ears, the powerbeats pro are not heavy at all and are very comfortable to wear!

Ease of use: no discussion that the pairing process is smooth as f***! I did have some difficulty pairing them to my iPhone after having them paired to my windows laptop. I had to go to my Bluetooth settings to pair instead having the popup when opening the case. One thing I absolutely love is the physical buttons! One of the main reasons I picked these over the airpods! So easy to just adjust the volume with a physical volume rocker instead of having grab your phone or even worse, saying hey Siri...

Price: are they worth it...? They are expensive, no doubt about that! I bought them as a birthday present to myself. There are less expensive ear buds out there but I don't think they offer the same combination of comfort, ease of use and sound quality you get with the powerbeats pro. So yes, you can get cheaper buds, but I'm not convinced you will get the same value for those buds as what you get from the powerbeats pro!

I'll see how everything goes and might share some more later!

Cheers!

Ive been playing with the eq settings in spotify a little since theres a small dip in the mids. Lounge and vocal boost arent bad here

macmyworld

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I've had my blue pair since Friday. I like the color and the fit, pretty slick. Pairing is easy with the iPhone.

I'm not thrilled with the sound quality so far and am wondering if they need to break in. I also own the BeatsX and Bose SoundSport. Both of those offer a much warmer sound where the Powerbeats Pro sound pretty mechanical with a surprising lack of deep bass.

I'm using the largest buds (big ears) and outside noise is pretty isolated.

If I didn't dislike the cord so much I would stick with the Beats X which I like a little more than the Bose. Hope the Powerbeats break in and warm up some.

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
I've had my blue pair since Friday. I like the color and the fit, pretty slick. Pairing is easy with the iPhone.

I'm not thrilled with the sound quality so far and am wondering if they need to break in. I also own the BeatsX and Bose SoundSport. Both of those offer a much warmer sound where the Powerbeats Pro sound pretty mechanical with a surprising lack of deep bass.

I'm using the largest buds (big ears) and outside noise is pretty isolated.

If I didn't dislike the cord so much I would stick with the Beats X which I like a little more than the Bose. Hope the Powerbeats break in and warm up some.

Interesting...if anything I’d say the bass is fine since my other true wireless comparison is the airpods.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
I’ve had mine for a week. Easy to pair and swap across devices. Never tried AirPods to compare SQ but I find it as good as the wired Solo3 these replaced.

nanogirl21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Midwest United States
I used to wear the Powerbeats3 Wireless Earphones without any problems. I got the Pro’s and my ears hurt. Can’t have them in for longer than 20 minutes. I’ve tried all ear tips and even some other brand ones. I want another pair of the Powerbeats3, but need to ditch the Pro’s first. I’m outside the warranty return period and hate that I’m stuck with them. $250 waisted!

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I used to wear the Powerbeats3 Wireless Earphones without any problems. I got the Pro’s and my ears hurt. Can’t have them in for longer than 20 minutes. I’ve tried all ear tips and even some other brand ones. I want another pair of the Powerbeats3, but need to ditch the Pro’s first. I’m outside the warranty return period and hate that I’m stuck with them. $250 waisted!
I have a pair of Black Power Beats 3, but that doesn't really help you as an outright trade is unfair to you as mine are already almost a year old. I'm sure you'll find someone here to buy them.

nanogirl21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Midwest United States
I have a pair of Black Power Beats 3, but that doesn't really help you as an outright trade is unfair to you as mine are already almost a year old. I'm sure you'll find someone here to buy them.

Honesty I probably just give them to my nephew. I'm just upset at the fact that my heart was set on loving them. The sound is great (for me). They just are painful.

Reactions: jbachandouris

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Not that brand, but I did try foam tips. I think it's the angle of the tip. If you look at other over the ear headphones the piece that goes into the ear isn't at a weird angle like these are.

Hmm if you have a guitar center or the like ask for comply or similar foam tips to see what could work better for you. It would be a waste like you said since you enjoy the sound

evdv

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2019
I can’t use AirPods as they won’t stay in my ears (and I’ve tried all the fixes, which involve buying various doodads to add to them to make stay in). The problem is that my ears are too small for them to “sit” in. And that’s now my problem with even the smallest of the Powerbeats Pro eartips, although they are MUCH better than the AirPods ever were.

So even the smallest eartips that come with my new Powerbeats Pro are a bit too big for my ears and, although they fit, they’re a bit too snug; does anyone have a recommendation of where to go to find even smaller eartips?

I can’t be the only one with this problem! I’m a 5’3” woman with, I am sure, proportionally sized ears. And surely children must like to use these, including child athletes who train a lot.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
Two months later and I’m getting sick of these headphones (ivory pair). They drop out continually on my iPhone pro, people continually complain they cannot hear me during phone calls where I am outside (connection drops and they cannot hear me) and they seem to continually have problems charging.

I will attempt a replacement through Apple / John Lewis. Failing that they’re being returned for some Bose. Really really disappointed in my experience with these.

My point in my rant is, anyone else facing the same?

nepats81

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2014
Two months later and I’m getting sick of these headphones (ivory pair). They drop out continually on my iPhone pro, people continually complain they cannot hear me during phone calls where I am outside (connection drops and they cannot hear me) and they seem to continually have problems charging.

I will attempt a replacement through Apple / John Lewis. Failing that they’re being returned for some Bose. Really really disappointed in my experience with these.

My point in my rant is, anyone else facing the same?

You have a defective pair. Get them replaced.

These headphones provide the perfect combination of sound, fit, connection, fashion and status.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.