Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vddrnnr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2017
Hi all,

Anyone know if it is possible to "transplant" the backlight keyboard from a 15" ppc to
a 12" one?

Best regards,
voidRunner

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hi all,

Anyone know if it is possible to "transplant" the backlight keyboard from a 15" ppc to
a 12" one?

Best regards,
voidRunner
No. It's an entirely different keyboard with a different connector. It even starts out different. There are screws behind F-keys on the 12" that you have to remove before you can even begin.

vddrnnr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2017
Hi eyoungren,

Thanx for the info.
I was hoping there was a way to "adapt it" as the sizes are the same.

Best regards,
voidRunner

Hi eyoungren,

Thanx for the info.
I was hoping there was a way to "adapt it" as the sizes are the same.

Best regards,
voidRunner

The only aspect that the 12in and 15in/17in Al keyboards share with one another, aside from key size and operability, are the keys themselves: the 12in keys can be used as replacements for a backlit 15/17 keyboard, as the translucent glyphs on the keys are identical.

Reactions: z970

vddrnnr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2017
Hi B S Magnet,

Weird they being also translucent, can it be it's just the backlit not being powered?

Best regards,
voidRunner

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
The 12 inch is definitely not backlit. It does not have a backlight unit in it either. It was never set up to have that. I have one here and can confirm that there is no LED sheet in it at all.

Reactions: B S Magnet

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
This is probably the closest/cheapest way to bring on the light ...

(And it's good fun to use this in a matching color for a G3 Clamshell :))

Attachments

• iu.jpeg
    iu.jpeg
    96.5 KB · Views: 64

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
I had two. And I’ve now decided to part with both of them. Sad to see them go but I’m keeping my lime iMac and my cube.

If you have a 266 or 333MHz green G3 iMac, I suggest you hang onto that as they're now fairly rare.
And you'll probably regret selling your remaining key-lime Clamshell in the future. They are getting extremely difficult to find now. (Bought a near-mint, boxed white G4 iBook a while ago, and before departing asked the seller if he had any other interesting Apple laptops. He replied no, and pity I hadn't been there a month earlier as another family member had recently sent "a green iBook" to the dumpster). Even though pleased with my purchase, I was almost in tears during the journey home......!
I may possibly sell (in Europe) one of my lime Clamshells in the near future, but no way could I part with my favourite immaculate 466MHz SE key-lime. A absolute 'keeper' to be eventually handed down to a younger family member.

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
If you have a 266 or 333MHz green G3 iMac, I suggest you hang onto that as they're now fairly rare.
And you'll probably regret selling your remaining key-lime Clamshell in the future. They are getting extremely difficult to find now. (Bought a near-mint, boxed white G4 iBook a while ago, and before departing asked the seller if he had any other interesting Apple laptops. He replied no, and pity I hadn't been there a month earlier as another family member had recently sent "a green iBook" to the dumpster). Even though pleased with my purchase, I was almost in tears during the journey home......!
I may possibly sell (in Europe) one of my lime Clamshells in the near future, but no way could I part with my favourite immaculate 466MHz SE key-lime. A absolute 'keeper' to be eventually handed down to a younger family member.

Very good point. Mine is missing the CD drive bezel and that bothers me to no end... but it does have a good battery which is rare.

The iMac I am keeping. I bought it especially because it was green. I don’t think it especially rare though. I think it’s a 400 MHz slot load.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Very good point. Mine is missing the CD drive bezel and that bothers me to no end... but it does have a good battery which is rare.

The iMac I am keeping. I bought it especially because it was green. I don’t think it especially rare though. I think it’s a 400 MHz slot load.

Let's say they are fairly scarce and I don't think many will disagree.
If we look around, it's difficult to find a lime iMac with matching keyboard and mouse. When they do appear they get snapped up quickly - unless the price is ridiculously astronomical (thinks: technicolour/polka-dot clamshells).
Just the other day here nationally , I saw a lime-green keyboard and matching mouse for 50euros (approx $US55). If I had a green iMac alone - which I don't (unable to find one at a reasonable price, despite been looking for ages), I'd be tempted to pay 50e for the matching accessories. Or perhaps I'm crazy........o_O

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Even though pleased with my purchase, I was almost in tears during the journey home......!

I can sympathize. There are few things in life I vehemently despise as much as flippant technological waste that the damn vendors and manufacturers have lobbied, marketed, and brainwashed to instill into society like a cancer, to promote hyper-consumerism and their bottom lines. Apple is extremely guilty of this, and is even one of the first pioneers of this mentality.

If you put more than ten seconds of thought into it (which the average consumer doesn't), you can realize that an insane amount of work, design, prototyping, coordination, brainstorming, and testing goes into a single computer or phone. Any one of them, even a 1999 Compaq to a Nokia N82. Think about it, does any one of us know how to build an entire logic board with all its complexities and intricacies from scratch? How about a RAM chip, or a graphics card, let alone a processor? What about an SoC?

Because only after several years of use, and because the end user is usually computer-illiterate, and because they are newly aesthetically biased toward that new and shiny tower, phone, AIO, etc. they throw the "old" one away and make up excuses to justify it like "it's too slow", or "the OS was too old", or the worst one, "it's obsolete"... And then manufacturers like Intel quietly slip garbage like the Management Engine into their chips, and everybody is still too busy with their superficialities to care.

It's always unbelievably wasteful, and non-appreciative of just how far our knowledge and capability has advanced as a species, especially at its rapid pace in the technological world. As long as there's a decent marketing campaign, and a certain amount of purposefully applied stigma and misinformation, you can bet people will follow along. Meanwhile, recycling centers have the gall to claim ownership on abandoned and left-behind devices and machines, deliberately securing their unnecessary demise.

It makes me glad phenomenons like the single board computer are around now. They encourage an interest in the populace into what goes on behind the scenes, in hardware and software, so that there might be just a little more value and appreciation for what people are lucky enough to possess, and even pass down and repurpose...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.