Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macdctr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
I posted this thread for those who are interested in getting one of these very rare laptops. When new these laptops were on the market for only 6 months before Apple pulled the plug on them. I noticed two of these that are currently on the market so I'm posting links to them for anyone interested to check them out.

1. Apple Macintosh PowerBook G3 "Kanga" 160mb RAM CD-ROM OS 8.6 WORKING

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Maci...215655?hash=item36515bf7a7:g:c0UAAOSwi7BdNPek

- max ram of 160MB
- missing PRAM battery
- currently running OS 8.6
- rear port cover missing

2. Vintage Apple Powerbook G3 3500 Kanga - the trackpad clicker doesn't work

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ap...673513?hash=item340f5737a9:g:tbUAAOSwOKldNL85

- max ram of 160MB
- has a 4GB SSD (Compact Flash to IDE Adapter)
- currently running OS 8.6

Just thought I would pass this along to the group :apple:

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
They certainly were a beast - what with the fattened display for the speaker housing.

These things ( and the 3400) gave me hives due to their chassis being part of the PowerBook 5300 & 190 family of which I only had bad memories. :eek:o_O:oops:

Macdctr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
My first color screen laptop was a 5300 series laptop. I have had positive experiences with them and got my 3400/240 when I replaced my 5300. I loved the sound output of these laptops however they were bulky compared to the 5300 and heavier. In their day these laptops were amazing! When I found out about the Kanga and it's rarity I had to have one. I now have two Kangas in my collection. :apple:

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Why do you think I sold my Kanga :)

(no conflict of interest posting here since it is sold).
To buy another Kanga?

In other news, I saw the first sub-£500 TAM go on eBay recently, so there is some movement in the other direction.

Macdctr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
I have two Kangas in my collection. Fired up both and they are still 100% functional. I even updated one of them to OS 9.1 tonight. I'm considering getting a compact flash to ATA adapter so I can install a 128GB compact flash into the Kanga and have a laptop that will have solid state drive...

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I have two Kangas in my collection. Fired up both and they are still 100% functional. I even updated one of them to OS 9.1 tonight. I'm considering getting a compact flash to ATA adapter so I can install a 128GB compact flash into the Kanga and have a laptop that will have solid state drive...
Compact flashes don't make for good hard drives. They are designed for storage and not for repeated random access read/write operations. They are fine if you are only going to fire up the Kanga very occasionally but then, you might just as well keep the spinning hard drive.

Macdctr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
Compact flashes don't make for good hard drives. They are designed for storage and not for repeated random access read/write operations. They are fine if you are only going to fire up the Kanga very occasionally but then, you might just as well keep the spinning hard drive.

I will put the ATA drives away for safe storage and install the compact flash drive. I don't fire up the Kanga too often. In fact rarely so I don't think this will be an issue for my laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.