Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pmac0973

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2017
Just thought I would share another method of watching 720P on a Powerbook G4 1.67ghz

Video ecoded to 1280x688 MPEG2 @ 3800 Bit Rate
Original = 1280x688 MKV
Plays realy good on VLC. I don't have the MPEG2 plugin for Quicktime, sorry.

A few frame drops at the beginning as the file was played from a network drive. No frame drops playing from the local drive

CPU also settles around the middle playing from the network drive while only using a 1/3 while playing from the local drive.

Attachments

• Picture 5.jpg
    Picture 5.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 172

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
MPEG2 is fairly era-correct for most PPC macs, so it should play pretty well on most. It is the codec used on DVDs afterall.

I'm sure before I used to have to increase the bitrate to preserve image fidelity and therefore generate too large file sizes, but I've just done tests as low as 1100Kb/s for 720P. The only issue would be compatibility - QuickTime and CorePlayer are out of the frame...not so much an issue for myself as MPlayer is still the most used.

Reactions: pmac0973

pmac0973

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2017
I'm sure before I used to have to increase the bitrate to preserve image fidelity and therefore generate too large file sizes, but I've just done tests as low as 1100Kb/s for 720P. The only issue would be compatibility - QuickTime and CorePlayer are out of the frame...not so much an issue for myself as MPlayer is still the most used.

How did you get MPlayer to play the file? When I try, it only displays a black screen with audio

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
How did you get MPlayer to play the file? When I try, it only displays a black screen with audio

I think it's largely dependent on the original file - I have a few that glitch initially on the older MPlayer but then play ok - the same files behave fine on the newer MPlayer (the one needed by SMTube.)

pmac0973

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2017
I think it's largely dependent on the original file - I have a few that glitch initially on the older MPlayer but then play ok - the same files behave fine on the newer MPlayer (the one needed by SMTube.)
Thanks, I will try the different versions

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.