Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
This was in the appleinsider and spymac forums...

don't know the source.

Attachments

• pbd-spread-placement-72dpi.jpg
    pbd-spread-placement-72dpi.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 4,484

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
I looked at the Spymac forums, it seems that that is the only available image. I dobut the authenticity though, as I found the image in a thread titled "IwALK!!!" :rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
The cover folds back on itself - so its a pda like device, no keyboard - especially at 7.4 - that's the size of a book. So, what are the words that have been blurred?

And the icon on the cover?

Weird.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
I found it in the apple insider forums. Something about the return of the "powerbook duo". Can someone explain to me what that is? Is it similar to the iWalk...a failed rumor? Or is it like the Newton, or was it an antique computer? (ie old).

Sorry, I dunno what they're referring to.

Oh, that logo is supposed to be a chrome apple or something.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
The best indication of authenticity is the notification from Apple on the removal of the image. Lets see if that happens. Until then, I'm going to be doubtful.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by bh192012
so I take it it would have around a 10" screen?

Using the image as a guide, the diagonal on the screen would just be over 8". Nice size for a pda, that's for sure.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Intriguing.

I would welcome a new Powerbook Duo, and I'm sure that a lot of mac fans would welcome it's return.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by Over Achiever
I found it in the apple insider forums. Something about the return of the "powerbook duo". Can someone explain to me what that is? Is it similar to the iWalk...a failed rumor? Or is it like the Newton, or was it an antique computer? (ie old).

Sorry, I dunno what they're referring to.

Oh, that logo is supposed to be a chrome apple or something.

powerbook duo's were apple's sub-notebook for quite some time.

arn

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
The Duo had some serious issues:

Mainly that it was commonly sold without it's Dock. Had the Duo been sold as a complete kit it would have killed many other portables.

Now a G3 Sahara based duo aimed at the high-end PDA market would be SICK.

G3 600 Sahara

1USB

1FW

Airport standard

Bluetooth standard

comes with a charging base with integrated FW/USB hub, Combo Drive and RADEON Mobility Card. Bundled with Keyboard, Mouse and 1 Snow Airport Base Station.

$800.00 USD

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Ok, found the source of the pic from the apple insider site. Seems to be http://www.aguru4hire.com ... the pic is embedded in the site. Investigating how to actually get to the pic through the site...i'll keep ya'll posted.

Oh, the link directly to the pic...
http://aguru4hire.com/pbd-spread-placement-72dpi.jpg

The pic isn't much better...it is 72 dpi of course;)
Anyway, so far this guy seems to be a mac fan, so it could be photoshopped.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Re: The Duo had some serious issues:

Originally posted by mischief

G3 600 Sahara
1USB
1FW
Airport standard
Bluetooth standard
comes with a charging base with integrated FW/USB hub, Combo Drive and RADEON Mobility Card. Bundled with Keyboard, Mouse and 1 Snow Airport Base Station.
$800.00 USD
I would buy that in an instant. It would be nice if Apple released something along those lines.

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
guys check it...

from what i can make out in photoshop, at the top it reads:
Magazine spread (product?) placement... not for final output. which is in common print terminology... i believe the blurred section does read: the new powerbook duo
starting at (cant make out)

hope that helps
technocoy

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
whatever it is, if it was real, it wouldn't be on spymac anymore...

oh by the way, i hate spymac

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Re: The Duo had some serious issues:

Now a G3 Sahara based duo would be SICK.

G3 600 Sahara

1USB

1FW

Airport standard

Bluetooth standard

$800.00 USD [/B]

I would love one of these...except that it would cost about $1500-$2000...believe me. Look at the PC laptops of this nature. Toshiba Libretto, Fujitsu P1000/P2000, and Sony Picturebooks...they cost that much money and they come with Crusoe processors and not much else.

Don't diss Spymac...it isn't that bad. I find that site to be quite entertaining.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Uh there are been MANY more promising picutes and photoshops... Are their any Other rumors to back this "pic" up? um... I don't see any.... sorry guys this goes under the nice try catogory.

zorblaz

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2002
Syracuse NY
hmmmm.... keyboard?
It would seem as if (with Inkwell) apple could seriously start leaving keyboards behind and put out something that is a cross between a Newton & a Powerbook, and nobody would ever complain. If this is fake, it probably wouldn't be for too long.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
Originally posted by zorblaz
hmmmm.... keyboard?
It would seem as if (with Inkwell) apple could seriously start leaving keyboards behind and put out something that is a cross between a Newton & a Powerbook, and nobody would ever complain. If this is fake, it probably wouldn't be for too long.

using inkwell to input text into a computor
is really a lot slower than typing. i would need
the screen to have some sort of touch screen
keyboard for intering larges amounts of text.

idi_t

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
Originally posted by applemacdude
100% fake
:( Sorry

I'd have to agree; the real tip-off is the space between "Power" and "Book"... (i.e. it reads "Power Book" not "PowerBook" as it should). Great piece of wishful thinking, though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.