Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glowurm

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2001
I found it!

Well guys, it seems I've found some promotional materials with the actual ad! Take a look - I'll post more details later!

>grin!<

-Chris

Attachments

• new_powerbook.jpg
    new_powerbook.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 644

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
refer back to the pictures of the vaio computer...look at the sides where the keyboard underneath the screen is a little bigger...you'll notice quite a striking resemblance to them being the SAME...just really well photoshop-ed

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
?!?!??!

Ahhhh, damnit! Is this thing real or not? I would love to have the new Duo, but a nagging voice says that it's just the usual bullplop. If this isn't real, then what is inkwell really used for? See, it's real. But that sony looks nearly identical. It's fake. I wish the answer would come soon!

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
wow.....

Strange. Looking at them next to each other like that really shows how much it was directly ripped off. But, didn't someone mention in an early post that Apple and Sony are sharing technologies, whatever that means. I hadn't heard anything about this. Has anyone else?

(I'm still just hanging on the a thread of hope that this might be real....)

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
I did a quick Google search and all I could find out was them teaming up on the Sony-ericcson phone or something.
I'd like something like this too, but unless Apple has a stretched version of that Sony in the works, then it's definately a fake.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
so it is a fake, unless Apple is working with Sony...

that would be soooo cool though.:D

edvniow: i like you 'tar. is that the killer bunny form Monty Python? LOL that was a funny scene...:D

glowurm

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2001
Wait a minute!!!

I spend an hour faking this larger version - post it with a hint that it's not a real image - and Ed gets the credit for the discredit???

Not to be a hater, but I think I did a pretty good job on it. Perhaps my subtlety undermined my intentions. Or sarcasm doesn't come accross well in text. Or whatever. I do appreciate the compliment though, MonkeyBusiness.

The image was fairly simple to do - the hardest part was the reflection in the Apple logo. After the break from looking at it from last night to this morning, I'd say it's a pretty good job, even if it doesn't match the original "questionable" pic.

The easiest was the color - take the Sony book and desaturate it. You'll notice I've left the size the same for eazy comparison; the shell of the case is even in the same position as the Sony. You could place one upon the other and have a match.

The font is Garamond Regular, as I don't have Apple Garamond. It's been stretched to create the taller look. I didn't include the various subtexts in this one because I didn't want it being confused with the original "questionable" pic, which by the way, uses a sans-serif font for the text which would be out of character for an Apple ad.

I've still got the source files - Photoshop format - if anyone wants to check my work.

By the way - this was a "proof of concept" exercise, done to see if it's possible. I think that if you check my fake against the original "questionable" pic, you'll find that the form factor (down to the tabs on the side) is the same. I wasn't sure until about half way through the modifications.

All in all, I hope there's no bitterness here; this was posted in jest. While I would definitely be interested in a product of this nature, I have no information on the viability or probability of such product which neither confirms nor denies the existence of this item.

-Chris

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
plus

plus if the screen was flipped that way, then the tabs and ports on the back of the computer would be reversed...

good photoshopping glowurm

technocoy

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
oh well....

I must admit that it's a good photoshoping Glowurm. There's no bitterness here, but this whole thread has stumbled upon something that I think Apple should persue. I would love to have a subnotebook that small and it just goes to show how constrained and outdated the Apple lineup is now. Where's this digital hub that Job's was talking about? So far it's been all software (sans the best MP3 player, iPod). I want to see iPhones and iDigicameras and iWalks or iDuo-notebooks. Apple has always created both hardware and software for their computers which is the reason why the OS runs so smoothly. Why not expand?

I always get too excited about these rumors because most of them are really great ideas. I want a true digital lifestyle that is centered around my Mac. If Apple starts making even half of these faked products, they would have my money for many years to come.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
OH MY GOD EDVNIOW! that's freaking hilarious. i laughed my a$$ off the second i noticed!

that's the most foul, cruel, bad-tempered rodent you ever saw!

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Originally posted by Durandal7
I looked at the Spymac forums, it seems that that is the only available image. I dobut the authenticity though, as I found the image in a thread titled "IwALK!!!" :rolleyes:

Hehe that would be reason enough to doubt its authenticity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.