Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Okay, I need to know if you guys think this makes sense, or if I'm over-reaching here. Also, if you'd think this would even make sense as a setup. I trust (most) of your opinions, so ya know... lemme know!

I have a Cube which I use at home as my desktop, and my Powerbook which I lug around to class to take notes and do work and check email on the fly. I'm thinking about setting up a little Powerbook station next to my Cube, so that when I get home I can plug it in and sync up files with the Cube as well as do work on either computer. I'm thinking of setting up a KVM switch between the Cube and Powerbook, so when I come home I can use the same monitor (planning on a 20" Dell WS so I can have two docs open simultaneously) and keyboard on either computer. I'd probably run the Powerbook with the lid down (I'm pretty sure there's a hack for this) and just use the main monitor. I'm gonna set up a router to hook up both computers, with a network drive that both would sync files up on. That way any work done on either machine would be synced up on the other one, and backed up on the network drive.

Now, that's my plan. I think it'd really help me manage my time better, especially considering iCal on both computers seems to have completely different info, so I'm sure figuring out how to sync that up would be of great help. Being able to back up and sync up files on the move like that would be great, too.

So. What do you guys think? Does that make sense? Is it too ambitious? Am I making things a lot more complex than they need to be? Tips, suggestions, general verbal abuse? Your input's important to me, thanks!

Oh, and if this was posted in the wrong forum, feel free to move it, Buying tips and such just made the most sense for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.