Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TopGear

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2002
What is it?

According to my cut & paste, it's a

'

which is commonly called an apostrophe. Why is it there? What does it mean? Is it part of some kind of international PowerBook conspiracy? Somebody, call Fox Mulder!:D

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Looks like a minor goof to me. In the source it is before the
DOCTYPE statement and HTML statement. Maybe they were going to change the site, but at the last moment were told not to.
Only Steve knows!

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Originally posted by Sherman
Okay, I am sick and tired of these crappy ass laptop specs apple has been throwing at us.

they need a GF4 'Go' 64 and a 166 bus at LEAST.

1Ghz G4. It's possible. ****.

Why doesn't apple just visit all these forums and see what the **** we want? We're the consumers. We're the ones buying this stuff..

Sherman, specs aren't everything. We just want a machine that is able to do lots of good video editing and MPEG3 creation. The Powerbook is quite capable of it. Naturally we'll get tweaks every 6 months to a year, and that's appreciated...it brings down the price of the older machines and gives those who desire a little more speed the ability to get it. If you need it today, go get it, if you can wait a bit, wait a bit. Note of course that beginning January 2003, new machines made then will no longer be able to boot into Mac OS 9, though will have Classic. So if you need 9, get a machine today, and hope for upgrades later. And start saving for Mac OS X application updates.

TopGear

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2002
Hey Goph,

Fox Mulder or no, I think you're right. There's no way an apostrophe (or anything else) can get in there unless someone got into the code. WHAT it was going to be changed to is pure speculation. A weather report? An announcement of a 1-GHZ PowerBook? You tell me. My Web pages used to get little Xs and Vs in them, from when I was trying to use a keyboard command to cut or paste. Looks like somebody had a little accident... ;)

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
Or it cold be Apple messing with all of us, cause they know how attentive we can be to such small modifications????

Anyway, I say don't hold up the show for a DVD-RW, I'll take an improved SuperDrive (faster), and you can add DVD-RW as an option later...

I want the Radeon 9000 64M, and the Faster Bus/Processor. I want DDR for faster Data speeds between my Drive (which btw should be a 5400RPM 60 Gig for the top end machine!)

That's what I want, and I want it NOW!

hippy

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2002
new powerbook

Also if you order a PB through the store the 'step 2' page has a space character in the wrong place causeing the nav bar to drop......!

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Originally posted by cb911
do you mean DVD-RW? because i can read DVD's on my TiBook now...

but lets say it was a DVD-RW Sony got in a laptop? when did they do this?

You can burn DVDs on Sonys latest Tank laptops...it happened last month.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
WanaPBnow, I think gopher is a bigger priority!

>(gopher) We just want a machine that is able to do lots of good video editing and MPEG3 creation. The Powerbook is quite capable of it.

Here's one satire of jumping to conclusions... :rolleyes:

I would expect new Powerbooks between now and late November, but not at or after the Expo. I would also expect GHz speeds, as rumored.

Oh, wait. Now Apple Legal reads and changes their plans. Now who's messing with who? :p :rolleyes:

Disclaimer: This font is supposed to be very small so everyone can read it. I would also encourage those, who have a lot of time to spend, be very careful not to hurt his eyes when staring at this sentence, as there seems to be no end to the rumors on PowerBooks, or this sentence for the matter, at least for a long, long, long,...
:rolleyes:

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
Where is Montvale NJ? I'm gonna be in Saddle River for a week starting Saturday.... Are there any good Mac stores in that area?

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Saddle River and Montvale NJ are within 2 miles of the Apple retail store at Tice's Corner.

TICE'S CORNER
WOODCLIFF LAKE, NJ 07677
(201) 782-1750

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
do not freakout!

Ok, all of the people that are pissed at Apple's method and speed of delivery.

With new models and CPU speed. I would think that it is evident by now that Apple is having a very serious problem with either...

A: CPU manufacturers
B: Building OSX to work at a decent speed with the current crop of cpu's
C: Still manage to maintain profits with large margins and inflated prices

I din't think that Apple wants to do all these things that irritate and frustrate consumers, its just that they have done SO many stupid things in the past that its hard to straighten out all the mistakes and gets things moving right.

So, prepare yourself for more frustration and bewildering events as Apple continues to catapult themselves into oblivion!

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Egad...another PC troll, what should I do with them?

Apple is not going to oblivion...people have been predicting its demise since the year they began, and Apple has always surprised people. With the numerous Linux users coming over to the Mac, Apple is having a resurgence in software developers for
its platform like it never has seen before. And that's a Good Thing! Because with developers comes new software, and with new software the reasons for leaving the Mac platform become fewer and far between, and with Microsoft's abhorrant licensing schemes, and God awful security, anyone who is mindful of their digital rights is going to come to either Linux or the Mac. With Linux users shifting to the Mac in droves, it is only a matter of time before those who chose Linux first become Mac users.

"The power of unix, the simplicity of the Macintosh."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.