Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mongorama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2009
Not sure if this is Lion specific or not, but the desktop background on my primary display has changed to solid gray and I can't change it. I can bring up the preference panel for it, and click on different backgrounds, but nothing changes. I can even change the background on my secondary display... Any thoughts?

hughjaas

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
San Diego
Not sure if this is Lion specific or not, but the desktop background on my primary display has changed to solid gray and I can't change it. I can bring up the preference panel for it, and click on different backgrounds, but nothing changes. I can even change the background on my secondary display... Any thoughts?

same here. my second screen changes, but my primary desktop seems to be a washed out solid gray.

Glenny2lappies

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2006
Brighton, UK
Mine's the other way around: the primary has a background, the secondary doesn't - just solid grey.

BTW I'm using an external monitor on a MBP which is the primary, i.e. the MacBook is the secondary.

This happened the other day where a reboot (ooh, just like Windows) fixed it. I use the machine in different offices on different monitors. Seems to be related to changing monitors.

Getting bored with all the Lion bugs and 'features'.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I'm having this problem where my desktop background won't change, and I too have an external display. It is stuck on the wallpaper I want to change.

A restart fixes it, but a bit of nuisance.

devynm37

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2011
I'm having the exact same problem—The other day I added monitor to my Mac Pro through HDMI (a dongle from MiniDisplay), and then changed my desktops. Today, they've reset to the default Lion one. They won't change, even though the preview display in System Settings says the background is something else. :confused:

kvwall

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2012
I had the same problem and called Apple Support.

This is how we fixed it:

1: Click "Go" at the top of the finder.
2: Hold down the "Option" key and click "Library"
3: Open the "Preferences" folder.
4: Find the file "com.apple.desktop.plist"
5: Rename it to "com.apple.desktop.plist.old"
6: Reboot your computer.

If this fixed the problem for you, follow steps 1 - 4 again and delete the ".old" file

TechnoUniverse

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2012

This is how we fixed it:

If this fixed the problem for you, follow steps 1 - 4 again and delete the ".old" file

Dude, you are my god. Thank you so much

zippyprincess

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2012
changing background on first or second monitor

To change the background wallpaper on the screen of your choice, make sure the screen you are trying to change is set as the primary screen ie. the one with the menu bar across the top. I have a Macbook Air 11" and here's how I am able to set my primary screen.

Go to Preferences>Displays>Arrangement

One of the displayed screens will have a white horizontal strip along its top edge. You can drag the white strip to the other screen. Whichever screen has the white strip will be the primary screen.

Hope that works for you!

fweep

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2013
Cayman Islands
Kill the Dock to fix

I had this same problem today after disconnecting and reconnecting two chained Thunderbolt displays.

The solution is to open a Terminal and run:

Code:
killall Dock

This will restart the Dock, which also controls the desktop background.

Credit to Jay Thompson, per this Stack Exchange answer.

brethansen

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2007
Easiest fix I have found

If you have the "Show fast user switching" turned on, click the menu bar icon and choose "Login Window".

Login as the same user and the background is back. No need to logout or reboot!

To enable fast user switching menu bar, go to System Preferences -> Users & Groups -> Login Options

juanarcamacho

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2015

This is how we fixed it:

The file "com.apple.desktop.plist" is not appearing in my preferences folder. Any clue why?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You are likely still in the wrong Library folder.

The correct Preferences folder will usually have more than 500 files, often more than a thousand files. If yours has only about 50 or less, you are still in the wrong Library.
Follow the directions to go to the Go menu, then press and release the Option key. You will see the correct Library folder appear in the list, then disappear when you release the Option key. Click on that Library while holding the Option key, and then open the Preferences folder that you find now.
If you have restarted your Mac, and are in the correct ~/Library/Preferences folder, there WILL be a com.apple.desktop.plist file (guaranteed :D )

juanarcamacho

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2015

The correct Preferences folder will usually have more than 500 files, often more than a thousand files. If yours has only about 50 or less, you are still in the wrong Library.
Follow the directions to go to the Go menu, then press and release the Option key. You will see the correct Library folder appear in the list, then disappear when you release the Option key. Click on that Library while holding the Option key, and then open the Preferences folder that you find now.
If you have restarted your Mac, and are in the correct ~/Library/Preferences folder, there WILL be a com.apple.desktop.plist file (guaranteed :D )

I'm starting to hate myself for how stubborn and maybe stupid I sound but I swear I am looking in the right folder(I checked again). I have a MacBook Pro 13. Does this make any difference?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
(One more attempt :D ) Just as a double-check, if you are in the preferences folder - right-click on the window name. It will show you a list with the folder path to that folder. You'll see the folder name at the top (Preferences), then Library, then your user name, then Users, then the name of your hard drive. The folder Users is probably the most important, as you would be inside the Users folder (and at least a couple of folders in :D ) If the right-click name says only Preferences, then Library, then your hard drive name, then, yes, you are still in the wrong Library folder.

No, the Mac model makes no difference in the makeup of the folders in your system.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
If you are not finding that file, you cannot be in the correct folder. The file has to exist. If it gets deleted, the next time you open the app (Finder), a new one gets created. That's how it "just works". Maybe, just maybe you need to Restart. If you deleted the file (no, it cannot delete itself) and have not restarted since, that might be an explanation for what you're not seeing. (??)

NLISA

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2017
(One more attempt :D ) Just as a double-check, if you are in the preferences folder - right-click on the window name. It will show you a list with the folder path to that folder. You'll see the folder name at the top (Preferences), then Library, then your user name, then Users, then the name of your hard drive. The folder Users is probably the most important, as you would be inside the Users folder (and at least a couple of folders in :D ) If the right-click name says only Preferences, then Library, then your hard drive name, then, yes, you are still in the wrong Library folder.

No, the Mac model makes no difference in the makeup of the folders in your system.

Also Not showing up for me.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Also Not showing up for me.

What's not showing?
If you mean the "com.apple.desktop.plist" file? That file will be there, unless you are in the wrong Library folder.
Follow the steps in the posts above to make sure you are in your user/Library folder.
Easiest check is to right-click on the folder name in the title bar when you are in the Library folder. Should show the path through the Users folder. If a different path, such as MyiMac/Macintosh HD/Library (notice that "Users" is not listed) - then you are not in the correct Library folder.
The Library folder that you want is easy to find. Go to the "Go" menu in the finder.
Press your Option key while that menu is open. Click on the Library that appears when you press Option.
That's the correct Library folder. The Preferences folder is inside that Library.

iteachwithmac

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2018
What's not showing?
If you mean the "com.apple.desktop.plist" file? That file will be there, unless you are in the wrong Library folder.
Follow the steps in the posts above to make sure you are in your user/Library folder.
Easiest check is to right-click on the folder name in the title bar when you are in the Library folder. Should show the path through the Users folder. If a different path, such as MyiMac/Macintosh HD/Library (notice that "Users" is not listed) - then you are not in the correct Library folder.
The Library folder that you want is easy to find. Go to the "Go" menu in the finder.
Press your Option key while that menu is open. Click on the Library that appears when you press Option.
That's the correct Library folder. The Preferences folder is inside that Library.

I am also having this same problem. I read through the thread above and tried the items listed.

I found the "com.apple.desktop.plist" file and renamed it per the instructions above. Then rebooted the computer...nothing changed. Backgrounds still won't change. Went ahead and deleted the file altogether to see if it recreates it after a reboot...nope. File is no longer there...but the backgrounds still won't change. I was running OSX Yosemite when the issue started. I am now running Mojave and still having the issue. What would be a recommended next course of action?

RickyHunter

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2017
Spain
I am also having this same problem. I read through the thread above and tried the items listed.

I found the "com.apple.desktop.plist" file and renamed it per the instructions above. Then rebooted the computer...nothing changed. Backgrounds still won't change. Went ahead and deleted the file altogether to see if it recreates it after a reboot...nope. File is no longer there...but the backgrounds still won't change. I was running OSX Yosemite when the issue started. I am now running Mojave and still having the issue. What would be a recommended next course of action?

Same here.
I was in the preferences folder (the correct one), deleted the apple.desktop.plist file, deleted also the systempreferences file and rebooted. Now there is no com.apple.desktop.plist file anymore.
I tried also with onyx to delete preferences, to verify permissions, to delete the cache and to do the system maintenance actions. Nothing changes.
Any other idea?

iteachwithmac

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2018
Same here.
I was in the preferences folder (the correct one), deleted the apple.desktop.plist file, deleted also the systempreferences file and rebooted. Now there is no com.apple.desktop.plist file anymore.
I tried also with onyx to delete preferences, to verify permissions, to delete the cache and to do the system maintenance actions. Nothing changes.
Any other idea?

I solved it by realizing that the MDM profile that was installed on my computer, managing it, was limiting the background options. Once I removed the profile, I was able to change the background like normal.

RickyHunter

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2017
Spain
I solved it by realizing that the MDM profile that was installed on my computer, managing it, was limiting the background options. Once I removed the profile, I was able to change the background like normal.

Could u explain a little better how u did it? I don’t know what’s that. Thank u

iteachwithmac

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2018
It would only apply to you if your computer is managed by a Mobile Device Management (MDM) host. This is usually the case when you are apart of an educational institution or business that distributes devices or wants to have more control over what takes place on the devices, mainly for security reasons.

My school utilizes an MDM. I went into System Preferences, and there was a profile icon that I could open. Once in there, I just removed the profile. (It helps that I am the tech administrator here, therefore I have the privileges to perform such an action.) If you do not have this "Profiles" icon, then you don't have a profile installed on your computer and this would not resolve your problem. If you do have the icon, you need to talk with your tech admin about changing the profile to give you privileges to modify the backgrounds of your desktop.

Hopefully that explains it a little better.

Here is an image of what that profile icon would look like. (Credit to Meraki/Cisco for posting it.)
Screen-Shot-2013-10-22-at-1.54.06-PM-copy.png

RickyHunter

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2017
Spain
It would only apply to you if your computer is managed by a Mobile Device Management (MDM) host. This is usually the case when you are apart of an educational institution or business that distributes devices or wants to have more control over what takes place on the devices, mainly for security reasons.

My school utilizes an MDM. I went into System Preferences, and there was a profile icon that I could open. Once in there, I just removed the profile. (It helps that I am the tech administrator here, therefore I have the privileges to perform such an action.) If you do not have this "Profiles" icon, then you don't have a profile installed on your computer and this would not resolve your problem. If you do have the icon, you need to talk with your tech admin about changing the profile to give you privileges to modify the backgrounds of your desktop.

Hopefully that explains it a little better.

Here is an image of what that profile icon would look like. (Credit to Meraki/Cisco for posting it.)
Screen-Shot-2013-10-22-at-1.54.06-PM-copy.png

Great explanation Sir!
Unfortunately I don't have the Mobile Device Management, so no "Profiles" there.

I already tried all the solutions I was able to find and also the ones that came to my mind.
The only one I didn't do yet is to reinstall the os... ;(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.