Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I never put my Macs to sleep and I also never keep my external drives plugged in all the time, either. I use them and then unplug them and put them away until the next time I need them. I also do not use Samsung’s security program or Apple’s FileVault. When I buy a new T5 first thing I do is plug it into the computer and go into Disk Utility and wipe it/erase it and reformat it to APFS. This removes whatever proprietary security stuff that Samsung has placed on their app and included on the device, removes the whole app. I don’t want it, I don’t need it. I wipe that stuff off right from the get-go. I’ve never used FileVault, never felt the need. I’ve never (knock on wood!) had any problems with my Samsung T3s or T5s.......

K.B.

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2003
East Coast
This is a drive I take with me out of my home and office so I keep it encrypted. I have numerous other T5's and don't keep them encrypted.

I usually don't have it plugged in except when I'm working on it but sometimes things happen and that's when this happens. I turned off the Samsung protection so we'll see what happens.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I never put my Macs to sleep and I also never keep my external drives plugged in all the time, either. I use them and then unplug them and put them away until the next time I need them. I also do not use Samsung’s security program or Apple’s FileVault. When I buy a new T5 first thing I do is plug it into the computer and go into Disk Utility and wipe it/erase it and reformat it to APFS. This removes whatever proprietary security stuff that Samsung has placed on their app and included on the device, removes the whole app. I don’t want it, I don’t need it. I wipe that stuff off right from the get-go. I’ve never used FileVault, never felt the need. I’ve never (knock on wood!) had any problems with my Samsung T3s or T5s.......
Interesting. I keep both my external disk drives always connected and turned on. One does backups at night via time machine and the other is my data drive.

K.B.

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2003
East Coast
Turning off the Samsung protection on my T5 solved all my issues. Now all I have is FileVault encrypting it but no more troubles when my MacBook goes to sleep or I put it t
I think this issue is related to Samsung's own security program.
I had the same issue, but after removing Samsung's security (but kept Apple's filevault on) the problem no longer is there.

--
Edit - open SamsungPortableSSD app and change the security setting to OFF
THANKS, Yukari! Turning off the Samsung protection on my T5 solved all my issues. Now all I have is FileVault encrypting it but no more troubles when my MacBook goes to sleep or I put it to sleep.

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Turning off the Samsung protection on my T5 solved all my issues. Now all I have is FileVault encrypting it but no more troubles when my MacBook goes to sleep or I put it t

THANKS, Yukari! Turning off the Samsung protection on my T5 solved all my issues. Now all I have is FileVault encrypting it but no more troubles when my MacBook goes to sleep or I put it to sleep.

You are welcome. Glad to be of help.

VIIO

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2019
Sorry for the late answer but I had the same issue with my macbook pro. It do got fixed when I changed my cable from the usb c to normal usb a. After I changed the wire it worked without the explanation that I didn't close my macbook properly and the ssd got ejected before sleep. Just change the cable and it did work for me. Cheers from Finland.

QUOTE="Alwis, post: 26883646, member: 1065217"]Hi,

I have the 2018 MacMini, i7, 32GB 512GB SSD. Via USB-C a 1TB Samsung T5 is connected (formatted as APFS).

This worked without any problems, but after waking up the Mini from Sleep I got dozens of Notifications, that the Samsung external drive has not been properly ejected before sleep.

Why this? I am working with external drives on my iMac for ages and hd never any issues after waking up the iMac from sleep... Is this a known problem with the T5?

Thanks for your help!

Alwis[/QUOTE]

MrDoh

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2019
Same issue, have a 2018 mac mini with macOS 10.15.1 that I've recently connected a Samsung T5 to. It's only used for Time Machine backups. When the mac wakes up it says "disk not properly ejected". This is after a longer sleep, a matter of hours.

I also have a Samsung X5 SSD connected to the mac, no problems at all with that SSD.

Have just tried switching cables on the T5, from USB type-C to USB type-A, and I'll see if that makes a difference. But this seems like black magic. If I had read this thread before, I would have most likely gotten a different SSD. As usual, the T5 should just work, but oh no, that would be too easy *smile*.

I don't want to have the mac not sleep...but that's an alternative. Turning it off at night isn't enough, I'd have to turn it off before long periods of non-use during the day as well. My computer usage is kind of irregular these days. Not liking that idea, of waiting for it to reboot that much. If it were just in the morning, that would be okay, but it wouldn't be just the morning.

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
I wonder if connecting a USB SSD to a powered hub instead of directly to a Mac would prevent these random ejections?

MrDoh

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2019
I wonder if connecting a USB SSD to a powered hub instead of directly to a Mac would prevent these random ejections?

Well, that's what I was asking myself...so the USB 3.0 hub that I connected the T5 to last night is a powered hub. This morning, first time I haven't been greeted by a "disk not properly ejected" message from using Time Machine. One day doesn't make a solution, but this is a promising start. Here's the powered USB hub I'm using:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072TW79NY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Since it's a 3.0, not 3.1 hub, that may limit the T5's transfer rate to some extent. The advantage of this hub for me is that I was already using it, and since the T5 is being used only for Time Machine, ultra high speed isn't an issue.

As they say, time will tell *smile*.

Update: Moving the T5 to a powered USB 3.0 hub has not eliminated the "disk not ejected properly" issue. Still working on this one, turned off sleep for the moment, but may just get rid of the T5 and get another X5 instead. Or another SSD altogether.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you're booting from an SSD, you want it connected DIRECTLY to the Mini -- NO hub involved.

MrDoh

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2019
If you're booting from an SSD, you want it connected DIRECTLY to the Mini -- NO hub involved.

Agreed...my mac boots from the internal SSD. As I said, I was only using the T5 for Time Machine. And I'm just back from returning the T5 to BestBuy. I've tried direct connection and a powered hub, and there was no making the T5 happy. I'm going to give the SanDisk Extreme SSD a try and see if that one works. Probably fine.

Although I'm going to do my research before buying this time...never had a problem with a Samsung SSD, so I made the assumption that the T5 would be fine, too. Wrong.

MrDoh

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2019
Okay, bottom line is that the SanDisk Extreme SSD works fine with my mac, the Samsung T5 does not. I have the SanDisk connected via a T3 port on the mac, and no problems with waking from sleep.

Should have researched ahead of time, but as I said, haven't had a problem with any of the several Samsung SSD's I'm using. Including the Samsung X5 on the same mac. Who knew *smile*?

Reactions: Duncan68

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Okay, bottom line is that the SanDisk Extreme SSD works fine with my mac, the Samsung T5 does not. I have the SanDisk connected via a T3 port on the mac, and no problems with waking from sleep.

Should have researched ahead of time, but as I said, haven't had a problem with any of the several Samsung SSD's I'm using. Including the Samsung X5 on the same mac. Who knew *smile*?

Does the SanDisk have any sort of proprietary software that needs to be removed before use, like the Samsung T5?

MrDoh

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2019
Probably, but in both cases, the SanDisk and the T5, they come formatted exFAT. Not a problem, since you're most likely going to format the SSD as either AFPS for general use, or the macOS Extended format for Time Machine. Formatting will clean up a disk just fine *smile*.

I suppose that you'd have to pay attention to that if you were going to use your SSD on both Windows and mac...then exFAT is a good way to go. And if that's the case, just look before you leap *smile*. If you delete the software that comes with it, I'm sure that you can download it again if you decide that you want it.

Last edited:

3SQ Machine

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
Could be beyond Mac Mini -- same issue on my iMac 2019 with my Oyen Digital M.2 NVME USB-C drive. However, no issue with my Angelbird SATA ssd also in the other thunderbolt (USB-C) port. Not convinced yet it is an apple-wide problem, though as I'm not having this problem with my WD HDDs. Could be certain chipsets + apple = errors though.

MrDoh

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2019
Yes, Samsung X5 works well for me, and it's an NVMe drive.

Last edited:

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
All I can say is that I have never had any problems with any of the Samsung T series, starting with the T1, and using many of them through the T3 and T5. I also have three X5s and again, absolutely no issues whatsoever. As soon as I get a new external SSD first thing I do is reformat it (to AFPS) and then put it right to use. Could be that there was some sort of defect with that one particular T5.....?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Agreed...my mac boots from the internal SSD. As I said, I was only using the T5 for Time Machine. And I'm just back from returning the T5 to BestBuy. I've tried direct connection and a powered hub, and there was no making the T5 happy. I'm going to give the SanDisk Extreme SSD a try and see if that one works. Probably fine.

Although I'm going to do my research before buying this time...never had a problem with a Samsung SSD, so I made the assumption that the T5 would be fine, too. Wrong.
There have been a number of firmware updates for the T5. I've used them to boot a wide variety of computers, although not a 2018 Mini, without any issues, but I keep the firmware up to date. There's a possibility that maybe an update is needed for some of these T5s.

MrDoh

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2019
If you fully read the thread, you'll see that there are posters that have deliberately updated the T5 firmware and still had the same problem. Glad that you haven't seen the problem. I don't know if it's just the mini, since other postings have mentioned other macs, as well.

At any rate, my advice to anyone looking to add external storage to the mac mini or any mac would be to avoid the Samsung T5. Just in the interest of saving time in case the issue does come up. This is only based on my experience and what I've read. And there's enough choice out there that this isn't a hardship.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I would be interested to know if others, like me, who have NOT used the firmware at all and simply blitzed it out right from the get-go, have experienced issues or not. I have not had any issues whatsoever, which leads me to wonder if it is the firmware that is causing some people issues, even if they are using whatever the latest update of it might be. ??

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
If you are booting from the external and the external unmounts...what happens?

Is it caused by the system going into "Deep Sleep"? (The length of time specified by the pmset standbydelay?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.