Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterBigMack

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2012
Hi,

I had an iPhone 6 with 64gb with a lot of photos on it (about 3,500) so I had the option optimise iPhone storage selected, to make room on my HDD - which worked

Yesterday I got the new iPhone 7 with 128gb in which, I have all that extra space - want to change to the other option - download and keep original

I pressed this and about 200 of my previous photos have downloaded to my device but all the rest still have that little circle in the bottom right whenever i click onto it...

is it just downloading all the photos in the background? or has it stopped? there is no feedback or anything to tell me what its doing - it just says at the bottom - last updated 04:25 or whatever

does anyone know anything i can do to get the rest downloaded onto my new iPhone?

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
You'll need to make sure the phone is plugged into a charger for the full res photos to download. I'd also suggest to leave it in the photos app after you plug it in. You'll see the little rotating circle at the top left next to your carrier name when it's downloading.

You can verify everything is downloaded by going into the photos setting and selecting to turn off iCloud Photo Library. If there are photos that haven't fully downloaded, you'll get a message saying something like "XXX number of full resolution photos are not downloaded".

Reactions: Annabet

MisterBigMack

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2012
ahhhh ok yeah I've just left it in photos and yes there is a rotating circle in the top left - and ok i will leave it overnight and see how it is in the morning - thank you very much

Annabet

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2018
You'll need to make sure the phone is plugged into a charger for the full res photos to download. I'd also suggest to leave it in the photos app after you plug it in. You'll see the little rotating circle at the top left next to your carrier name when it's downloading.

You can verify everything is downloaded by going into the photos setting and selecting to turn off iCloud Photo Library. If there are photos that haven't fully downloaded, you'll get a message saying something like "XXX number of full resolution photos are not downloaded".

Thank you a lot! I was almost crazy because iPhone didn't want to download originals even with this function turned on.
Once I plugged it into a charger - MAGIC!- it started downloading. I think such moments should be mentioned in offiicial apple docs to prevent such brainstorming situations(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.