Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carlcaulkett

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2017
London, England
Apple Mac Pro (early 2009)
4,1->5,1
Dosdude1 applied
macOS 10.14.6 Mojave

ive just fitted a reconditioned nVidea GTX680 GPU and am now having problems booting. The startup chime sounds and the Apple logo appears. However, when the progress bar has reached around 60% it freezes. I’ve left it for up to 20 minutes and it will not shift beyond this point. Another problem is that if I try to enable verbose booting (cmd v) or alternate drive booting (alt) neither key combo seems to work. As far as I am aware this is a Mac edition of the GPU so it shouldn’t have needed a firmware update.

Thoughts, anyone?

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
Apple Mac Pro (early 2009)
4,1->5,1
Dosdude1 applied
macOS 10.14.6 Mojave

ive just fitted a reconditioned nVidea GTX680 GPU and am now having problems booting. The startup chime sounds and the Apple logo appears. However, when the progress bar has reached around 60% it freezes. I’ve left it for up to 20 minutes and it will not shift beyond this point. Another problem is that if I try to enable verbose booting (cmd v) or alternate drive booting (alt) neither key combo seems to work. As far as I am aware this is a Mac edition of the GPU so it shouldn’t have needed a firmware update.

Thoughts, anyone?
Did you remove the video patch? If not reinstall over current os and apply patches again with video patch DESELECTED

carlcaulkett

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2017
London, England
So the sequence of events will be:

1. Fit old GPU (otherwise I won't be able to do anything!)
2. Rerun the DosDude1 patch.
3. Rerun the post-patch but DO NOT, UNDER PAIN OF DEATH, INSTALL THE video patch
4. Switch machine off
5. Fit new GTX680 GPU
6. Boot up the machine and enjoy my new blazing graphics performance!

What can possibly go wrong? ?

Reactions: LuisN

carlcaulkett

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2017
London, England
Did you remove the video patch? If not reinstall over current os and apply patches again with video patch DESELECTED

I tried that but the update failed this time. If I boot with the new GPU I still get the freeze after 60% progress. If I boot with the old GPU I get a dialog offering amongst other things, to reinstall macOS. On selecting this I get a message saying that my hardware is not metal-compatible and that Mojave cannot be installed. It’s starting to look like my machine is bricked.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
I tried that but the update failed this time. If I boot with the new GPU I still get the freeze after 60% progress. If I boot with the old GPU I get a dialog offering amongst other things, to reinstall macOS. On selecting this I get a message saying that my hardware is not metal-compatible and that Mojave cannot be installed. It’s starting to look like my machine is bricked.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?
Ask @dosdude1, I'm sure he knows what's wrong with your installation

carlcaulkett

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2017
London, England
The situation has changed in that I discovered that the power cables to the new GPU were not attached properly. This has now been fixed and I am typing this on the Mac via the Safari option avalable from the four option menu (the one with Time Machine, Install macOS, Disk Utility etc).

Disk Utility seems to show that my existing drives are still intact, the problem seems to be that I just cannot boot onto my usual boot drive.

Despite the fact that I am now running the GTX680 GPU, I still get the message that I cannot re-install macOS because it is telling me that it is not possible if I have a pre-metal card or if I have file vault installed. I've just checked and I'm pretty sure I don't have file vault installed so why is my GTX680 not being recognised as a metal capable card.

I'm going to see if the boot time keyboard shortcuts will work now, and see if I can boot in Safe mode.

If anyone can help in the meantime, be my guest :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.