Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
When copying multiple folders over from an external drive (note: finder is in icon view), you can see the folder with a "progress bar" icon that shows the status of the copying. I noticed that when you copy a second set of folders while the a first set of folders you copied over is still in progress, once the folders finish copying, the folder icon does not change to a normal folder icon and just stays with an icon of the folders in progress bar.

The files appear to be in the folders copied, just the folder icon just has a progress bar that appears as if it was still doing something with copying.

Even closing finder does not fix the issue unless you restart the computer, or switch to "list view" then back to "icon view".

Anyone else see the same issue?

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
Yes, I've seen this as well.

I'm going to file a bug report on it (if it's not already reported.)

Freaked me out, as the folder displaying the erroneous "in progress" indicator was really important, and I thought I was stuck with a partial copy of files. Turns out, everything copied completely -- it was just a UI glitch like the one you described.

jtamac

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2008
I have the same issue as well. It happens when I copy multiple folders from an external USB drive to the hard drive. If I do a Get Info on the folder after the copy the progress bar goes away.

GraXXoR

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
Same Here.... I just copied 4 massive folders to my Bitcasa folder... But then decided to cancel while it was still "preparing files" all 4 folders have empty progress bars permanently emblazoned on them!

Siggi88

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2013
Open a Terminal,
type in cd, followed by a space, but DON'T press return yet.
Drag the folder that contains all the files with a permanent progress bar.
Press return.

Type in:

rm .DS_Store
killall Finder

Then see if the progress bar is gone.

Reactions: Dangler Action

lokster

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2010
old thread but it's still happening on 10.9.4 mavericks. :( worried as hell something was wrong until i saw this thread

Wiggys

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2014
It's really common when copying multiple folders to an external hard drive, especially if you do something to interrupt the process before it finishes. It doesn't prevent the problem from happening, but I just make a new folder, drag the contents of the old folder into it, delete the old folder, and give the new folder the same name as the old folder. Good as new, albeit annoying.

pixieb0b

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2014
Worked for me

Open a Terminal,
type in cd, followed by a space, but DON'T press return yet.
Drag the folder that contains all the files with a permanent progress bar.
Press return.

Type in:

rm .DS_Store
killall Finder

Then see if the progress bar is gone.

This happened to me today, so I tried the above. It definitely works, but it killed off all the items going to that external drive, not just that one folder. That's actually great because I had several with the stuck status bar icon. However, it was also in the process of copying a folder, and that killed off too.

Thanks for the resolution, this was overall, much more convenient than having to copy folders and such. :cool::apple:

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
this happened to me numerous times on previous versions of OSX (Yosemite,Mavericks) I've noticed it's much more frequent in El Capitan.
why isn't this bug fixed yet in 2015?

Reactions: xlogreears

dave_zzzz

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2016
I have the same problem on El Captain and I just found a fix to it, simply change the view to list or any other view and then back to icons and you are fine.

HI TDJEANS

I wasn't even a member of this forum, but I signed up just to say thank you for what must be the simplest and yet most effective IT solution I've ever found on the internet :) It was also very timely from my perspective!

Although I've seen this problem with folder icons a number of times in the past, the icons have always corrected themselves. The catch was that I didn't know any specific procedure that would be guaranteed to get rid of the erroneous progress bar. I'd tried a few things, like opening and closing the folder, going up and down the folder path, but I couldn't narrow down the trick. Today, for the first time, I got fed up with the problem to the point of searching for a solution and lo and behold I find yours, which you posted only ten days ago!

Serendipity? Fate? Luck? :) Whichever it was, thanks again for a straightforward workaround for this annoying and fundamental problem which, like everyone else, I believe Apple should have fixed long ago!

Dave

chetccox

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2016
HI TDJEANS

I wasn't even a member of this forum, but I signed up just to say thank you for what must be the simplest and yet most effective IT solution I've ever found on the internet :) It was also very timely from my perspective!

Although I've seen this problem with folder icons a number of times in the past, the icons have always corrected themselves. The catch was that I didn't know any specific procedure that would be guaranteed to get rid of the erroneous progress bar. I'd tried a few things, like opening and closing the folder, going up and down the folder path, but I couldn't narrow down the trick. Today, for the first time, I got fed up with the problem to the point of searching for a solution and lo and behold I find yours, which you posted only ten days ago!

Serendipity? Fate? Luck? :) Whichever it was, thanks again for a straightforward workaround for this annoying and fundamental problem which, like everyone else, I believe Apple should have fixed long ago!

Dave
[doublepost=1454318935][/doublepost]All one has to do is right click on the folder and click 'get info'. The folder immediately turns into a normal folder and
the progress bar and big X disappear.

Reactions: HackDaBox

billygard

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2019
Seattle
I was just noticing these piecharts by a group of filed I just transferred from an older macbook. Well, as it turns out, I had copied them to a new "vrml" folder I just created right on the desktop. Only the files put in this folder were showing these symbols. So I dragged the folder into my apple "home" directory, which is a more conventional place for document folders to be. I created an alias to the folder on my desktop. This seems to have removed the pie charts. I don't know if it was because folder on the desktop are quirky, or just that I moved the folder at all, that made the difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.