Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Procreate 5 for iPad got its official release today, introducing a completely rebuilt graphics engine and several notable new features.

procreate-5-animation-assist.jpg

Under the hood, the new Valkyrie graphics engine takes full advantage of Apple's Metal architecture and is designed to get maximum performance out of iPad, utilizing new sophisticated shaders and running at 120fps on supported devices.

On the feature front, an all-new Animation Assist toolset aims to make the creation of animatics, looping GIFs and storyboards an easier process for newcomers and more streamlined for experts. Meanwhile, the same applies to custom brush creation thanks to the powerful new Brush Studio, which allows finer control over every aspect of how brushes look, react and behave.

procreate-5-brush-studio.jpg

Procreate 5's new Clone tool allows you to use any brush style to give a cloned area the look of that brush, or to lock the clone area in place to plaint with a multicolored brush based on your selection. The Color Panel can also now be detached and minimized into a new Mini Color Panel, for moving it out of areas that you want to work on.

Elsewhere, new Color Dynamics offer tactile control of hue, saturation, brightness and more to a brush, through the tilt or pressure of the Apple Pencil. There are also 18 individual sliders to allow for more control.

This version also includes new importable CMYK and RGB ICC profiles for print-based users, a new Photoshop Brush Import feature for using Photoshop brushes in the app, a new Color Harmony section in the Color Panel for easily picking complimentary colors, and a new 10-step Color History palette.

procreate-5-interface.jpg

Lastly, the Procreate 5 interface has been refined and improved to make it more accessible and unobtrusive, while retaining the familiarity of previous versions.

Procreate 5 for iPad can be purchased on the App Store from today for a one-time payment of $10. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Procreate 5 for iPad Brings New Animation Assist, Brush Studio, Color Harmony, and More

Last edited:
Reactions: ikir

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
I’m curious how well the Photoshop Brush Import feature works. If the bevahiour of said brushes are indistinguishable from their functionality inside PS.
Either way, looks like another excellent update.

Reactions: Chung123

Benjamid

macrumors regular
May 15, 2016
Procreate is so awesome! Hope they can stay afloat! I would easily pay 5$ per month for this!

Btaylor_prod

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2018
Meanwhile Adobe Photoshop still can’t do basic things that are essential in an app like this. It seems Adobe is content with their beta testing, subscription structure. ?‍♂️

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Under the hood, the new Valkyrie graphics engine takes full advantage of Apple's Metal architecture and is designed to get maximum performance out of iPad, utilizing new sophisticated shaders and running at 120fps on supported devices.

I'm curious what they mean by 'sophisticated shaders'. Shaders here seems to me an ambiguous word. Well understood in 3D applications of course, but in a 2D painting app, I'm not sure what they mean by it.
[automerge]1575863950[/automerge]
The only link I see in that sentence, in the original article, is "App Store", which just explains what the App Store is. No link to Procreate itself.

Yeah, it seems the link they tried to put in is improperly formatted. @arn
[automerge]1575864240[/automerge]
It really puts Adobe to shame. To add insult to injury it can import Photoshop brushes.

This from the Procreate website: "Allowing you to bring across your favorite Photoshop® brushes means Procreate 5 now gives you access the world’s biggest brush library, and they work faster in Procreate 5 too". [emphasis mine]

If that last bit is true.. then woah! What is Adobe doing!?! o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: ChrisMoBro

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
The only link I see in that sentence, in the original article, is "App Store", which just explains what the App Store is. No link to Procreate itself.
I think the “direct link” thing is broken because Procreate isn’t currently in the App Store for some reason. I just did a search but the only thing that showed up was Pocket Procreate.

DisraeliGears

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2015
Seeing this post (and one on MacStories) made me wonder, how does Procreate compare to Pixelmator? I already have Pixelmator as an attempted PS substitute, but I find it to be designed somewhat awkwardly and counterintuitively.

My iPad Pro is my primary device, but I learned most of my image editing on PS. I tried the PS app, but Adobe continues to suck, full stop, and releasing a beta with what, a quarter of the full features is brain meltingly awful.

Most of what I need this kind of application for is resizing, editing, and light design (making components for flyers and sometimes assembling posters and such.) Frequently it involves finding something online to use as a template to build off of. Canva gets some of the job done, but not all of it. I can usually get the job done with Pixelmator but it takes twice as long as it would with Photoshop.

Loooong story short, opinions as to Pixelmator v Procreate?

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
Seeing this post (and one on MacStories) made me wonder, how does Procreate compare to Pixelmator? I already have Pixelmator as an attempted PS substitute, but I find it to be designed somewhat awkwardly and counterintuitively.

My iPad Pro is my primary device, but I learned most of my image editing on PS. I tried the PS app, but Adobe continues to suck, full stop, and releasing a beta with what, a quarter of the full features is brain meltingly awful.

Most of what I need this kind of application for is resizing, editing, and light design (making components for flyers and sometimes assembling posters and such.) Frequently it involves finding something online to use as a template to build off of. Canva gets some of the job done, but not all of it. I can usually get the job done with Pixelmator but it takes twice as long as it would with Photoshop.

ProCreate is more of a painting program, and the the line gets blurred sometimes. You won't find curves, levels, etc. If your primary goal is to edit photos then I would stick with Pixelmator.

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Oh so the previous version isn’t available while 5 rolls out? Is that common?
No.

The previous version is what I updated to 5. I did NOT have to look for Procreate 5, it just notified you an update was available, and welcomed you to Procreate 5. No new icon or name, just an update.

When you look at the app in the App store, it just says Procreate, and tells you the update is Procreate 5. Same icon as always, same price.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/procreate/id425073498
What’s New
Version History Dec 9, 2019
Version 5.0

This is the update you’ve been waiting for. Welcome to Procreate® 5, the biggest release we’ve ever given birth to. With hundreds of exciting new features and quality of life improvements we’re going to need that epidural, these forceps, and where are you going with those scissors?!

It just took time for the update to the current version to roll out.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
No.

The previous version is what I updated to 5. I did NOT have to look for Procreate 5, it just notified you an update was available, and welcomed you to Procreate 5. No new icon or name, just an update.

When you look at the app in the App store, it just says Procreate, and tells you the update is Procreate 5. Same icon as always, same price.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/procreate/id425073498

It just took time for the update to the current version to roll out.
Thanks. The weird issue for me is that Procreate is not showing up at all in the App Store. When I do a search, only Pocket Procreate shows up. But thanks for the link because I think it may have shown me the reason why—across the top of the Procreate app page it says, “Requires 13.2 or later”. I’m still running 12. So it looks like the App Store doesn’t even show apps that aren’t compatible with one’s OS version. I find that a little strange and inconvenient though if, for example, I’m just trying to find information about an app.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I'm curious what they mean by 'sophisticated shaders'. Shaders here seems to me an ambiguous word. Well understood in 3D applications of course, but in a 2D painting app, I'm not sure what they mean by it.
[automerge]1575863950[/automerge]

In the past, shaders meant one thing (how light is calculated on the surface of a 3D object), now they can mean multiple things. In modern graphics pipelines there are "compute shaders" that exist solely to perform complex calculations on the GPU that don't necessarily have to do with graphics, they could be using these to generate texture data used by the brushes (like wet edges, etc).
[automerge]1575981882[/automerge]

Do you have Pixelmator or Pixelmator Pro? Pixelmator Pro for iPad is really good for image editing, the regular Pixelmator on iPad, not so much. Procreate isn't an image editor but rather a drawing/painting software.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Thanks. The weird issue for me is that Procreate is not showing up at all in the App Store. When I do a search, only Pocket Procreate shows up. But thanks for the link because I think it may have shown me the reason why—across the top of the Procreate app page it says, “Requires 13.2 or later”. I’m still running 12. So it looks like the App Store doesn’t even show apps that aren’t compatible with one’s OS version. I find that a little strange and inconvenient though if, for example, I’m just trying to find information about an app.
Search from iPad. if you see pocket version you are on iOS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.