Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I think that PRSI should be outside of the Community Discussion forum.
Right now it's a subforum, which means that often the last message displayed on the forums homepage is some "Trump did X" or "Pelosi did X" etc. (See below).
I don't think that mixing an arguably charged forum with a very "peace of mind" forum such as Community Discussion - full of "What book are you reading?" or "Espresso Enthusiasts style posts - is a good idea. This is more true since the requirements to write in PRSI and the moderation tolerance/rules are different than the rest of the forums.

CaptureMR.PNG

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Just ignore PRSI in its entirety. That's what I do and then I don't have to see any of the posts you mentioned above. Doesn't really matter where the forum administrators put PRSI, if you don't ignore it, then you'll have to live with it.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Just ignore PRSI in its entirety. That's what I do and then I don't have to see any of the posts you mentioned above. Doesn't really matter where the forum administrators put PRSI, if you don't ignore it, then you'll have to live with it.

I don't ignore it because I am somewhat one of the usual suspects on that forum (a bit less lately). I am not saying that *I* don't want PRSI, I am saying that 1) it doesn't look good 2) it doesn't really make sense 3) it lives under different moderation rules.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Right now it's a subforum, which means that often the last message displayed on the forums homepage is some "Trump did X" or "Pelosi did X" etc. (See below).
I don't think that mixing an arguably charged forum with a very "peace of mind" forum such as Community Discussion - full of "What book are you reading?" or "Espresso Enthusiasts style posts - is a good idea. This is more true since the requirements to write in PRSI and the moderation tolerance/rules are different than the rest of the forums.

View attachment 875194
I don't ignore it because I am somewhat one of the usual suspects on that forum (a bit less lately). I am not saying that *I* don't want PRSI, I am saying that 1) it doesn't look good 2) it doesn't really make sense 3) it lives under different moderation rules.

Actually, I am in complete agreement with you - @yaxomoxay - on this, and would like to add my voice to your suggestion, one that had actually (mea culpa) also occurred to me, but I found a million reasons not to write the post or start the thread that you have done.

For that matter, I write also as someone who has worked as a political analyst and political adviser (for a number of international and supranational bodies), and also as someone who has taught (and studied) politics (and history) at university.

In other words, I like politics, am fascinated - personally and professionally - by politics, and yet, I agree completely with @yaxomoxay and would like (if at all possible) some element of marked or clear or distinct separation - when browsing - between the regular Community Discussion section of the forum and the PRSI section - both of which I frequent but not equally, as they are very different.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I moved it out.
Good move!
[automerge]1573025673[/automerge]

View attachment 875194
Excellent suggestion.

Reactions: kazmac

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I missed the old days when it was at the bottom or near bottom of forums to enter. I'd like it to be so far, beneath even archives. ? That way when someone inevitably carries on about the forum, I can still give the ?look when they claim they entered PRSI ( several times usually ) accidentally. Or they are tired that every time they enter it's some kind of dumpster fire, but don't answer how they found their into a forum all the way at the bottom of the page made intentionally a pain for you to find.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Good choice on moving it out... I asked for and received voluntary removal of my PRSI access but still could see the posts that occurred there even though I have no interest in them...

I was wondering why they no longer showed up out of the blue and I guess this is why..

Kudos and thanks for moving it out! :)

Reactions: yaxomoxay and arn

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I'd been using a custom filter to remove it from my view. Ignoring the forum also cut out alerts and everything else.

I'd rather see the forum gone forever, but I suspect that part of the forum gets a decent amount of traffic anyway.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
small but important change:

- Politics, Social Issues, Religion is no longer viewable by Guests. This means it won't show up in the New Posts view for passers by. The is how it was when we were on vBulletin, it just got lost when we switched over for technical reasons.
- Political News subforum will house News Article threads. Rules for replying are the same as Politics forum. But these will be visible in New Posts view for guests.

arn

Last edited:
Reactions: SandboxGeneral

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011

- Politics, Social Issues, Religion is no longer viewable by Guests. This means it won't show up in the New Posts view. The is how it was when we were on vBulletin, it just got lost when we switched over for technical reasons.
- Political News subforum will house News Article threads. Rules for replying are the same as Politics forum. But these will be visible in New Posts view.

arn

but where is it now? it just completely dissapeared even for logged in users... or is PRSI now gone for good?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
- Political News subforum will house News Article threads. Rules for replying are the same as Politics forum. But these will be visible in New Posts view for guests.

arn
There doesn't seem to be a link or sub-forum link to this on the main forum page, unless I'm missing it someplace.

I did log out and clear cookies and cache from my browser and logged back in already.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

- Politics, Social Issues, Religion is no longer viewable by Guests. This means it won't show up in the New Posts view for passers by. The is how it was when we were on vBulletin, it just got lost when we switched over for technical reasons.

arn
I cannot see the political news subforum, either on iphone or Chrome on Windows. Is it my user id or is the link not visible for others?

Reactions: SandboxGeneral
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.