Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
So I was planning to use my gift card to buy the psp, then resell on it EBAY but as things would have had it, it was too neat to sell. As far as battery life goes, it is from 2hrs. to 8hrs. With my experience with the ipod, and the whole hd spinning issue, I really don't have any qualmes about the battery since it is a spinning disc in there. Plus the battery is removable so that's always good. I wonder how much they cost? (will google later).

In terms of construction, the back is a little to plasticy (is that a word?); Maybe I am spoiled by the ipods construction, but yeah... The front however is gorgeous; I love the way the screen blends into the rest of the system. It almost has a nice mirror like quality so like the back of the ipod, it will attract finger prints, and you the user will be obsessed with keeping it clean. I like how sony included this special cleaning cloth which works wonders at removing fingerprints.

The head phones section. The sound is pretty great; whether it is the white headphones that come with it (it's those uneven length ones where you put it behind your neck), but the tiny internal speakers, used without headphones, is not surprisingly great by anymeans. But hey, my 1200 dollar ibook doesn't sound all that great with the internal speakers.

The screen is beautiful; clear images etc... I am watching Spiderman 2 while I type this, which came bundled with the circuitcity deal, cause I am bored. Its pretty cool cause the screen is just so nice and clear. However, I actually don't see the whole movie thing as a selling point imo. I already have the Spiderman 2 dvd so I am selling this movie pack-in, and as for other UMD (the cartridge/cd medium sony uses in the psp), it' a luxury few can afford, and I, as a college student would not even consider it. Why would you buy a movie you can't see on the tv to enjoy with others? But who the hell cares. It's the games we care about.

Like I said, I was planning to sell this. The system came with twisted metal and like I said, what the hell, I'll give it a go. I've never been a fan and my impression countinue like they have been before. I played it but I am selling it on half.com. But, I am looking forward to spending the rest of my gift card credit tomorrow on Wipeout and maybe Ridge Racer, and based on the demo, WOW!!! The graphics are nothing short of amazing. You gotta wonder how next years games are gonna be like. Plus, it is kinda special having this small device displaying beautiful textures. It'd totally kill if grand theft san andreas comes out on this thing, or maybe resident evil 4...

Other little things...Kudos on sony making clear shoulder buttoms. Very artsy, very elegant; maybe they took a hint from the g4 imac's clear screen :). Also, they included a remote and headphones. THe headphones are okay; I'd rather use my regular sony earphones though for some reason since those are the ones I use for my ipod. But the remote... ugh... feels totally cheap in my humble opinion... I don't know, I guess I may be spoiled with apples remote's feel. Also, when your watching the movie, I'll probably be 3 ft away so a remote seems almost impractical. I guess instead or reaching 2 ft for the remote, I'll reach 3 ft instead.

All in all, seems really like a great machine with a great future ahead of it. Personally, it is a game machine first and foremost, and not a movie, or music machine. You gotta wonder how can nintendo's ds will fare since the graphics on those things look so outdated already.

Vader

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2004
Saint Charles, MO
I think very similarly, although, I haven't even gotten a game yet, but the previews look even more amazing on that screen than the ones I saw online!

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I might consider buying one if they actually release a game I'm interested in. Unfortunately, Nintendo DS doesn't look nearly as cool, but it has 2 games I want :(

nosser

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2005
Orange County California
yeah I got mine yesterday and I love the screen. You seriously have to see it in person to appreciate it. I just downloaded pspware from macupdate to transfer music, photos, and movies. It syncs with iphoto and itunes and is very easy to use.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
nosser said:
yeah I got mine yesterday and I love the screen. You seriously have to see it in person to appreciate it. I just downloaded pspware from macupdate to transfer music, photos, and movies. It syncs with iphoto and itunes and is very easy to use.

Wow really? I didn't even know it could do that :confused:

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
jsupetran said:
So I was planning to use my gift card to buy the psp, then resell on it EBAY but as things would have had it, it was too neat to sell. As far as battery life goes, it is from 2hrs. to 8hrs. With my experience with the ipod, and the whole hd spinning issue, I really don't have any qualmes about the battery since it is a spinning disc in there. Plus the battery is removable so that's always good. I wonder how much they cost? (will google later).

In terms of construction, the back is a little to plasticy (is that a word?); Maybe I am spoiled by the ipods construction, but yeah... The front however is gorgeous; I love the way the screen blends into the rest of the system. It almost has a nice mirror like quality so like the back of the ipod, it will attract finger prints, and you the user will be obsessed with keeping it clean. I like how sony included this special cleaning cloth which works wonders at removing fingerprints.

The head phones section. The sound is pretty great; whether it is the white headphones that come with it (it's those uneven length ones where you put it behind your neck), but the tiny internal speakers, used without headphones, is not surprisingly great by anymeans. But hey, my 1200 dollar ibook doesn't sound all that great with the internal speakers.

The screen is beautiful; clear images etc... I am watching Spiderman 2 while I type this, which came bundled with the circuitcity deal, cause I am bored. Its pretty cool cause the screen is just so nice and clear. However, I actually don't see the whole movie thing as a selling point imo. I already have the Spiderman 2 dvd so I am selling this movie pack-in, and as for other UMD (the cartridge/cd medium sony uses in the psp), it' a luxury few can afford, and I, as a college student would not even consider it. Why would you buy a movie you can't see on the tv to enjoy with others? But who the hell cares. It's the games we care about.

Like I said, I was planning to sell this. The system came with twisted metal and like I said, what the hell, I'll give it a go. I've never been a fan and my impression countinue like they have been before. I played it but I am selling it on half.com. But, I am looking forward to spending the rest of my gift card credit tomorrow on Wipeout and maybe Ridge Racer, and based on the demo, WOW!!! The graphics are nothing short of amazing. You gotta wonder how next years games are gonna be like. Plus, it is kinda special having this small device displaying beautiful textures. It'd totally kill if grand theft san andreas comes out on this thing, or maybe resident evil 4...

Other little things...Kudos on sony making clear shoulder buttoms. Very artsy, very elegant; maybe they took a hint from the g4 imac's clear screen :). Also, they included a remote and headphones. THe headphones are okay; I'd rather use my regular sony earphones though for some reason since those are the ones I use for my ipod. But the remote... ugh... feels totally cheap in my humble opinion... I don't know, I guess I may be spoiled with apples remote's feel. Also, when your watching the movie, I'll probably be 3 ft away so a remote seems almost impractical. I guess instead or reaching 2 ft for the remote, I'll reach 3 ft instead.

All in all, seems really like a great machine with a great future ahead of it. Personally, it is a game machine first and foremost, and not a movie, or music machine. You gotta wonder how can nintendo's ds will fare since the graphics on those things look so outdated already.
they're releasing a 3d grand theft auto, although it's in liberty city, and gran turismo 4 also but gt4 is in september...

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Great review. I havent gotten to try one yet. Seems the stores in my area have an abundance of them, I'm guessing they arent as hot as a seller as Sony hoped. I dont think it will live long, since they arent breaking even at all on the machine, plus then Nintendo owns the portable game market. I mean, look at the N-gage. x.x The next Game Boy will come out and crush the PSP. x.x They say its gonna have more power than the Gamecube. Which is cool, since the Gamecube has a Dirty G4, which means a G3 with some Altivec, but not all of it. :D

nosser

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2005
Orange County California
im_noahselby said:
Is it possible (or theoreticaly possible) to hook up the PSP to your TV to watch PSP movies on a larger screen?

Noah

Well there is some cable that can connect the two since I read something on a psp forum that showed a store playing the demo disc from a psp to a tv screen in the window.
gt4 mobile and a poker game "stacked" are the only games i really want. gt4 is the only game I really play.

Reanimation_LP
as far as the next gameboy having more power than a gamecube, does the gamecube even have more power than a ps2? the psp is really close to the ps2. the psp has dual processors and a gpu. personally I dont really like nintendo games. they seem based for kids. (except mario party that's a fun game. is the only reason my girl bought a gamecube)

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I got my PSP 2 days ago and I am thoroughly impressed. The OP forgot to mention that you can use the wifi connection to play people on the internet or make an ad-hoc connection with othe PSPs nearby (within ~50ft). Ad this point the internet connection is a little buggy. NBA and NFL street work great but Twisted Metal doesn't work at all. I keep getting kicked out of a game as soon as I join. Many people have this problem so I think it is a server side issue.

I think the DS and PSP are 2 different markets. PSP is not durable enough of kids. DS is more suited for kids because of durability and the games. PSP is more of an adult toy.

Some things I would like to see for the PSP in the future:
1. recordable UMDs or cheap large capacity memory sticks. I agree with the OP, who wants to buy movie UMDs.

2. internet browser. This would be handy but also I would need a sample keyboard.

3. Great games. GT4moblie, GTA, and others.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
How can people review something so quickly?

Everyone knows the PSP looks great, has a big screen and gorgeous looking games but it is a PORTABLE unit, try taking it with you on a few >10 hour flights, heck just take it on the bus or the train to work a few times. How does it handle being in your bag/luggage? How quick and easy is it to pick up and play while you wait for a flight? Can you have it in your bag for an extended period and suddenly get bored all of a sudden and pull it out to play?

I've actually contemplated getting one just because I like getting all the latest and greatest gadgets but I don't think it is something I would come back to after the initial wow factor has worn off.

nightdweller25

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2005
The DS

I agree with all the posts here, but I really think it's personal preference. I was going to buy a PSP as soon as they released, but I bought a DS instead. It may not have the amazing gfx the PSP has, but has different things to offer. I know many people think that the touch screen is just a gimic, and if it is, then it's the best gimic I have ever seen. Has anyone played WarioWare: Touched? Those mini-games keep you coming back for more, purely touch, not buttons whatsoever. Plus Nintendo has the legacy of their awesome games which is the real reason why I didn't buy a PSP. (waiting for Zelda, Mario Kart, etc) But like I said, they're completely different. As for the Game Boy, well, let's just say it has a bright future ahead of it that might make some people return their PSP...

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
jaseone said:
Everyone knows the PSP looks great, has a big screen and gorgeous looking games but it is a PORTABLE unit, try taking it with you on a few >10 hour flights, heck just take it on the bus or the train to work a few times. How does it handle being in your bag/luggage? How quick and easy is it to pick up and play while you wait for a flight? Can you have it in your bag for an extended period and suddenly get bored all of a sudden and pull it out to play?

I've actually contemplated getting one just because I like getting all the latest and greatest gadgets but I don't think it is something I would come back to after the initial wow factor has worn off.

The sleep mode on the PSP is actually very cool. If you put it to sleep with a game loaded, the game will be right where you left it when you come back. Or if you are playing a game and want to jump over and listen to music or look at photos you can do that and come back to the game where you left off.

I fly on 5 hour trips to california and 14 hour trips to Japan frequently so I will get a chance to check it out. I would like to be able to record my on movies to UMDs because I have plenty of DVDs and memory sticks are too expensive. But doing this is illegal in the US so it will probably never happen.

Jalexster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2004
The PSP is a good system, and I will be getting one, but I must say the following:

First off, I HATE SONY. Let me make that clear: SONY CAN GO BURN. I say this for several reasons:

They make crappy hardware, they lock you into proprietary formats like Memory Stick, they have crappy warranties, they have crappy support, they don't replace PSPs due to dead pixels, etc...

Oh, and about the dead pixels, if you have ANY sort of problem with your DS, even a single dead sub-pixel, Nintendo will replace it. Just contact them, you send it off, and they send you a new DS. They even pay shipping I think.

I also prefer the DS over the PSP, I think it is a better system in terms of gameplay. I think it has better games out for it, and I think there will be more great games coming out in the future (which there is).

Also, I really, REALLY hate it when people say Nintendo is kiddy, and they only make games for kids. Nintendo doesn't make games for kids, they make games that ANYONE can enjoy. Between playing a game which relies on violence for kicks like Manhunt, I'd prefer to play Super Mario Sunshine, which is easy enough for kids to play, and has enough cool stuff for more experienced people to get. It was also kind of hard when it got to the later levels.

Also, there are plenty of "mature" games for the gamecube, like the entire Resident Evil series, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (a highly updated version of Metal Gear Solid 1), Eternal Darkness, etc...

So, in conclusion, get a DS.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Um was that meant to be a troll or what?

If anyone would actually take the time to read the response from Sony re. dead pixels you'd find they will exchange a unit with dead pixels this constant trolling about stuff that isn't true is lame at best.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/25/news_6121092.html

The Sony rep suggested that PSP owners who encounter the pixel issue should try the device "for a week or two" to see if it continues to bother them. "If you find the spots are interfering with gameplay/video viewing during this period, we will support the various elements of [the PSP] warranty," the rep said. Each PSP comes with a one-year limited warranty, which is on page 125 of the PSP manual. If a PSP is "determined to be defective" by SCEA, the company will see to the "repair or replacement of this product [the PSP] with a new or refurbished product at SCEA's option."

According to a technical support associate contacted by GameSpot, PSP owners who encounter a persistent and aggravating dead-pixel issue should contact SCEA's customer service line (1-800-345-7669) for instructions on how to exchange their unit after a week or two of using the unit. "We will work with you," he assured. The associate said the process would work much like exchanging PlayStation 2s that suffer from the dreaded "Disc Read Error" problem: Gamers will mail their PSPs in to SCEA and receive units with new screens. The associate was unsure if customers would receive an all-new unit or their old unit with a new LCD screen.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/25/news_6121092.html

How about you all do a quick search on the guy who started the Sony Dead Pixel thread and look at all his posts about how bad the PSP is - the guys a troll, deal with it and move on!

So, in conclusion, get whichever portable you want!

nosser

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2005
Orange County California
Jalexster said:
The PSP is a good system, and I will be getting one, but I must say the following:

First off, I HATE SONY. Let me make that clear: SONY CAN GO BURN. I say this for several reasons:

They make crappy hardware, they lock you into proprietary formats like Memory Stick, they have crappy warranties, they have crappy support, they don't replace PSPs due to dead pixels, etc...

Oh, and about the dead pixels, if you have ANY sort of problem with your DS, even a single dead sub-pixel, Nintendo will replace it. Just contact them, you send it off, and they send you a new DS. They even pay shipping I think.

I also prefer the DS over the PSP, I think it is a better system in terms of gameplay. I think it has better games out for it, and I think there will be more great games coming out in the future (which there is).

Also, I really, REALLY hate it when people say Nintendo is kiddy, and they only make games for kids. Nintendo doesn't make games for kids, they make games that ANYONE can enjoy. Between playing a game which relies on violence for kicks like Manhunt, I'd prefer to play Super Mario Sunshine, which is easy enough for kids to play, and has enough cool stuff for more experienced people to get. It was also kind of hard when it got to the later levels.

Also, there are plenty of "mature" games for the gamecube, like the entire Resident Evil series, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (a highly updated version of Metal Gear Solid 1), Eternal Darkness, etc...

So, in conclusion, get a DS.

so basically like you first said you getting a psp. And I guess I just like the game selection sony has to offer, etc gt4, gran theft auto, socom. There has not been a game I truely wanted that was only for nintendo except mario party and the legend of zelda the one for the original 8-bit nintendo.

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
Nintendo games may seem a little kiddyish at first, but even I, an experienced gamer of 10 years+ find them tricky sometimes! Anyone played Double Dash? Great stuff.

Anyway, having said that - I want a PSP! I'm just waiting for the price to come down a weeeny bit... What's the mac software like? I'm assuming it's a 3rd-party thing...?

EDIT: HOLD ON A SECOND!! The PSP isn't being released till MID JUNE in the UK :eek: :eek: :eek:

This is ridiculous! Someone told me the other day that because the DS has already been launched, the PSP is losing so many potential customers... but I guess sony are being arrogant enough to assume they'll have loads of UK customers - which they will. As someone else said, I also don't have great experience with Sony as a company, but then again that was needless trolling and this is.... me!

Anyway, this is one annoyed hob... who's gonna have no new toy for several months :(

Vader

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2004
Saint Charles, MO
hob said:
Anyway, having said that - I want a PSP! I'm just waiting for the price to come down a weeeny bit... What's the mac software like? I'm assuming it's a 3rd-party thing...?
...(
PSPware is pretty good, it converts videos and everything, also iPSP, but they are both shareware.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Nintendo is not selling the amount of DS's that they thought they would, a lot of developers are pulling out and the amount of titles will not be as large as first thought. When Nintendo licenses software they forget to make it an exclusive title so other companies make out. I think the DS will survive tho because its $100 dollars cheaper than the PSP and the franchise titles. I like Sony products, my house if filled with then. To say that Sony sucks is a little harsh. I like both companies I will always like Nintendo since I grew up on it but the PSP just has a lot of better titles.

JoeUK

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2005
nosser said:
Well there is some cable that can connect the two since I read something on a psp forum that showed a store playing the demo disc from a psp to a tv screen in the window.
gt4 mobile and a poker game "stacked" are the only games i really want. gt4 is the only game I really play.

Reanimation_LP
as far as the next gameboy having more power than a gamecube, does the gamecube even have more power than a ps2? the psp is really close to the ps2. the psp has dual processors and a gpu. personally I dont really like nintendo games. they seem based for kids. (except mario party that's a fun game. is the only reason my girl bought a gamecube)
The Gamecube is actually quite a bit more powerful than the PS2, even if at first glance it is a console for simple kids' games. Of course, the Xbox is almost in a different league power wise. And yes, I know it's made by Microsoft. Sorry. ;)

gamestriker

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2004
Ok, so far I agree with a lot of what has been said in this forum. As it was stated, the PSP is first and foremost a gaming machine (its called PlayStation Portable). Thus if your going to compare the PSP and Nintendo DS, then you cannot include the music player and movie features when comparing these, otherwise the PSP should then be compared to other portable with similar capabilities, like a PDA or the N-Gage.

Next, I want to point out things about Nintendo. Nintendo, I understand, at first glance and based on its reputation, its seems to be "kiddy"-oriented. However, I want to emphasize that a good amount, if not most, nintendo games are rated Everyone, which means that they are "suitable for ages 6 and older" (esrb.org). This means that they should be fun for adults and teens, as well as, kids. I have met 30 years olds who love to play Super Mario 64 DS. My point is to not always judge games by their company. Again, I know some hardcore PS2 lovers who have never played Super Smash Bros. because it was from Nintendo, the kiddy company; but when they got ahold of Melee or Resident Evil 4, they quickly changed opinions about Nintendo.

Now back to the PSP, in terms of a gaming machine, it can't compare to a DS. Right off the bat, its got better battery life, its $100 cheaper, more portable (its about the same size as the original GBA, except a little thicker obviously; it should fit in a cargo pant pocket, small bag or purse, possibly a little bulky in a standard jean pocket), its got a touch screen (which I think doesn't get as many fingerprint marks as the PSP), and it comes with everything you need right off the bat. It works with Game Boy Advance games so people are not left with nothing to do on it, and most of the few games that are out for the DS are extremely fun. Plus, the DS offers way more innovative gameplay with the 2 screens (one of them a touchscreen), a microphone, a stylus, and future online play. As for both machines, the only thing thats keeping them from their full potential is the lack of game selection, and the DS makes up for it with GBA game support. The fall game lineup is what will really decide who survives and who doesn't.

The PSP graphics are the only thing that this machine has an advantage in over the DS. Also, like it was previously mentioned, the PSP is targeted at the teen and adult market. I think that is also a factor as to why the PSP isn't doing as good as the DS, other than the later release date. DS is targeted at a wider range of consumers so it can sell far better in the long run over the PSP. And on top of that, teens don't have a lot of money on hand, so they would not be able to afford a PSP anyway, without financial support from parental units, so that would also also cut sales. Without the fall game lineup, Sony is going to continue losing money on the PSP unless sales pickup drastically.

If you can't compare the PSP without its multimedia features (music and movies), then it falls in the category of a multimedia portable. In this case, the PSP still falls short; the iPod will far surpass it in terms of music, and it works as a basic PDA. If people want to watch a DVD, they would be better off with a portable DVD player which I think would have better battery, and is still pretty portable. DVD media can also be watched on TV for a much better viewing, and for watching it with friends. And if they want all of these in one piece of hardware, you can get a PDA for about the same price and have instant messaging, address book, and email capabilities with the wireless, plus save your own data files on it, AND be able to view them. If you send about 50 more dollars, you can get one that works as a cell phone and you know it will have tried-and-true fun games like Chess, Solitare, Breakout, Invaders, Tetris, etc. then plug in some headphones for listening to music. I believe you can watch some movie clips on a PDA but I'm not completely sure about that.

Overall, the PSP cannot match the DS as a game machine, or another media device as a multimedia portable. DS is simply much more innovative as a game machine, and all that the PSP can do multimedia-wise has already been done better by device already on market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.