Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nosser

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2005
Orange County California
why are we comparing the two. first off i i liked nintendo. you know 8-bit legend of zelda, double dribble. I still like mario party but just looking at a psp next to a ds makes the ds look ten years old.

and how can you say you are going to compare the two but not enclude every feature of the psp when you would the ds. its like comparing a honda to a bmw. "its strictly a vehicle first so you cant include the navigation system, built in bt, or the leather seats" (not downing honda I like hondas too)

the psp can fit in every pocket the ds can. its worth more so it cost more. and it comes more complete too. a case, headset, strap, mem card and a movie.

come on a touch screen is innovative but look at some of the games its pointless. why do you have to see marios head move around while you play super mario. and sony has online play right now.

I think the capabilities that the psp has, target more consumers because someone wants a portable dvd player- why not a psp so you can play games too or someone wants a gaming system but would like to store mp3s and photos too-why not get a psp.

I understand that yeah a portable dvd player would be better than a psp but can a dvd player play video games or have internet access. can an ipod play video games and store photos( beside the ipod photo which is a $100 more than a psp).(i love the ipod) yeah a pda is great for some of that stuff too but why have three of four devices when you can have one. one device to play music, store photos, watch movies, and play games and one that's damn sexy too.

but you know to each his own, but I'd drive a bmw over a honda anyday.( but like i said i love hondas too my first car was a honda)

honestly it doesnt matter to me what anyone prefers but to compare the two you must include everthing both have to offer

JoeUK

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2005
I think to be honest, overall the PSP is a way more complete, and capable machine. It's just a jack of all trades. It doesn't do games, video, music, photo storage, or anything else people have got it to do the best, but the point is it can do all those things. The DS can just play games. I haven't used a PSP or DS, so I really can't say for sure, but I'd predict that the DS is better for gaming. Of course, visually, in terms of graphics and the look of the console, PSP wins hands down. I don't think anyone can argue with it.
If I was going to buy one of the two, I think I'd probably get a DS, as I've already got a portable music player, and I can't really see myself watching a film while on the bus. DS seems to have more little games to play for 5 minutes or less, which for me, are perfect for a handheld console. If I want to play a game.... can't think of the word... seriously maybe, I'll play my Xbox or Gamecube at home.
If I feel like showing off in public, I'd of course buy a PSP. It does look amazing.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
I think it is silly to compare a PSP to an iPod or even the DS. As we consumers await the arrival of the first truly successful convergent devices, everything that comes out is too different from other devices to be fairly compared.

The iPod (any flavor) handles music waaayy better than a PSP, but it doesn't play games, go on-line (hack browser for now, but wait), or let you play movies. Yes, some flavors of iPod (starting $100 more than a PSP) have a smaller, less vibrant color screen and display photos. If music is most important to you, get an iPod, not a PSP.

The DS is a great little game machine, and it is debatable whiether the PSP or the DS does games better. Give the DS props for dual screens and touch screen tech, aand give the PSP props for that freakin' gorgeous little screen. Neither has a slew of awesome games yet. Nice that DS plays GBA games in the interim, though. Which one do you prefer? Great, buy one and shut up about the other (or buy both).

PDA? I like my Tungsten T3. It manages my Word and Excel files fine, and does calendar and contact stuff better than the iPod, because I can actually input data easily. I even have a 256MB SD card that I used for photos (until I got a PSP).

All of these devices have their strengths, and if one suits your preferences, then that's the one for you. No need to trash the other tech out there. What isn't making sense for you will either make enough sense to others to succeed, or will fail. And all of it is driving the market forward.

Me, I have my iPod and PSP to go along with my PDA, cell phone, and PowerBook, and as soon as my GBA dies, I can see picking up a DS, or whatever the nexgen GB willl be. Would I like to cart only one or two devices around to cover all of these functions equally well? Heck, who wouldn't? In the meantime, though, it's all good, folks.

TwistedD

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2005
I contemplated getting a DS, but the touch screen's usability while I'm on the bus didn't seem very high.

Plus, I'm predominantly a sports gamer (with racing being at the top of that heap), and beyond the better graphics the PSP also has more sim-like racers coming out for it (the tremendous Toca and Colin McRae games from the Codies), leading me to believe that the extra power is also being used to generate more realistic physics models.

Some glaring examples are Tiger Woods and Ridge Racer.

But, the DS certainly has the potential to be a very unique system. As long as original titles are developed for it, there should be enough room in the marketplace for both. But if it the two game libraries become too similar, the DS will have a hard time keeping up.

joey4127

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
I bought the DS with Mario DS and I really loved it. Then I sold the DS because I wasn't playing it enough, and I got the PSP. Now the PSP is different I was extremely amazed with the graphics and the slick design.

It's like comparing the N64 with the PS2...

gamestriker

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2004
Like I said, its going to really come down to the game lineup that is coming up in the fall. I'm going to be playing my friend's PSP as he is planning to get most of the PSP games, so I can see the game lineup for the PSP for myself. I'm planning on getting a DS in summer/fall. After the winter holidays, we'll see how the game lineups for each one faired.

Jalexster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2004
joey4127 said:
I bought the DS with Mario DS and I really loved it. Then I sold the DS because I wasn't playing it enough, and I got the PSP. Now the PSP is different I was extremely amazed with the graphics and the slick design.

It's like comparing the N64 with the PS2...

Perfect Dark, Conker's Bad Fur Day, hell, everything from Rare, as well as Majora's Mask > Everything on the PS2. Honestly.

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Look, I bought a nintendo DS and 3 games about a month after it came out. I played it for about 3 months and quickly got bored. Most of the time I found myself playing all my old GBA games, if I wanted to play GBA games, I would have just kept my SP and not gotten a DS. I finally sold my DS in around February at a huge loss due to many other people trying to get rid of theirs as well. Just face it, people have varying opinions and nothing will change that. Move on.

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Jalexster said:
Perfect Dark, Conker's Bad Fur Day, hell, everything from Rare, as well as Majora's Mask > Everything on the PS2. Honestly.

Too bad RARE is with MS now.

Jalexster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2004
Sutekidane said:

They are still making GBA, and possibly DS games. Oh, and in Conker: Live and Reloaded, one of Conker's idle animations is to pull out a GBA SP and play it (like how he played a GBC in Conker's Bad Fur Day). How about that?

JoeUK

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2005
Jalexster said:
I agree with the Perfect Dark bit.
Although pretty much every game that I loved on the N64 has now been surpassed by an Xbox game. Apart from Zelda Ocarina of Time. And Super Smash Bros. And probably a few others I can't think of..

Sutekidane said:
The thing is, they haven't made a quality game for years now.
And judging from the demo I've got, Conker: Live and reloaded will be a very average third person shooter, with nice graphics and a few jokes.

TheGimp

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
anywhere, usa
Have played both a DS and PSP (own the latter). No comparison - PSP wins hands down. More and better launch titles (Metroid Prime Hunters was supposed to come out in March - bait and switch), and far better hardware. The UMB can store over 8 times as much data as can DS game media, has WIFI for playing not just head to head but also internet games (been playing Gretzky NHL against strangers across the nation), games such as Wipeout Pure promise downloadable tracks and other content, and much much more. The rationale that the DS is better because of backwards compatibility is bunk - just pick up a GBA for a few bucks if you need to play Mario World or Castlevania.

Look at Ridge Racer PSP and then play Ridge Racer DS and you will laugh your ass off at the latter's poor *everything*. Only very young kids and preteen girls will prefer the DS.

Yes the DS can be had for $99 now, but if saving a hundred bucks or so is imperative, you would be able to earn that difference devoting some of the time you (most of you, anyway) spend in this forum to working in a fast food joint for a couple days.

Don't mean to be so snide, but the PSP rocks - not just its screen.

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Jalexster said:
They are still making GBA, and possibly DS games. Oh, and in Conker: Live and Reloaded, one of Conker's idle animations is to pull out a GBA SP and play it (like how he played a GBC in Conker's Bad Fur Day). How about that?

Played Conker: Live and Reloaded and it blew big time, and Perfect Dark was the most overrated N64 game of all time.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Sutekidane said:
Played Conker: Live and Reloaded and it blew big time, and Perfect Dark was the most overrated N64 game of all time.
You can't be serious, Perfect Dark was a great game.

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
MacNut said:
You can't be serious, Perfect Dark was a great game.

I personally disliked perfect dark, particularly because it made me want to throw up every time I played it, but it did make #5 on game informers top 10 most overrated games.

JoeUK

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2005
I may have missed something, but I don't think anyone who prefers the PSP has mentioned gameplay. That's always a bad sign.

Jalexster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2004
About Conker. The demo is half on one chapter. The game has nine chapters. The chapter you played "It's War!" Is mainly a third person shooter. The first five chapters are a platform adventure game. Sixth chapter mixes it up a little bit with some racing bits. Seventh is a third person shooter with flying elements added in. That chapter is a combination of Van Helsing and Dracular. During the shooting bits, Conker dresses up like Van Helsing, during the flying bits, he is turned into a vampire bat (he gets bitten). 8th chapter is mainly a shooter (It's war), and the 9th starts off with a matrix rip-off, and ends with an Alien rip-off.

So, you are judging the game based on one half of a single chapter. You really need to play the whole thing. The game also has a brilliant ending. It's actually kinda sad aswell.

JoeUK

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2005
That's a good point actually. You're right, I shouldn't judge a game on a short demo. Are the first 5 chapters, the platforming bits, the remade Conker's Bad Fur Day? I do like that game.
I didn't even know it was out yet actually..

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
JoeUK said:
I may have missed something, but I don't think anyone who prefers the PSP has mentioned gameplay. That's always a bad sign.

Since you asked gameplay is kick ass on the PSP - what can you fault? All the buttons work as you'd expect, the screen is perfect, the discs don't fly out - um nice try at trolling though...

JoeUK

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2005
Thanks, now I'm happy :)
I don't think I was trolling though.. or trying to do so.

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Gameplay is really good overall, but thats always dependent on the software. Well, if meant hardware, then yes, all the buttons work as promised..
I would go out and rent Conker, but I sold my XBOX a year or two ago due to inactivity, and not being able to use XBOX live (which seems to the be the only thing people rave about when they own an XBOX).

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I got rid of my XBox last Friday to a friend thought I'd stick with World of Warcraft on the Mac and the PSP for my console gaming _BUT_ today I went to EB Games to get rid of the XBox games I had left over and some how I walked out with a PS2 I've been playing that thing online all day, it's been great fun.

I probably would of kept the XBox and got XBox Live one day but they crippled the PAL version of the XBox, there is no support for HDTV or component output, I've had the PS2 1 day and I've already ordered a component video cable for it. Shame on you M$, hopefully they don't do the same with the new XBox.

Oh well can't complain both my PSP and PS2 go online for free, it's all good! I just wish the component video cable would hurry up and get here, composite video is so damn ugly!

Jalexster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2004
risc said:
I got rid of my XBox last Friday to a friend thought I'd stick with World of Warcraft on the Mac and the PSP for my console gaming _BUT_ today I went to EB Games to get rid of the XBox games I had left over and some how I walked out with a PS2 I've been playing that thing online all day, it's been great fun.

I probably would of kept the XBox and got XBox Live one day but they crippled the PAL version of the XBox, there is no support for HDTV or component output, I've had the PS2 1 day and I've already ordered a component video cable for it. Shame on you M$, hopefully they don't do the same with the new XBox.

Oh well can't complain both my PSP and PS2 go online for free, it's all good! I just wish the component video cable would hurry up and get here, composite video is so damn ugly!

You should have gotten the SCART cable. It allows the Xbox to give out an RGB signal. It's no component, but it's better than composite and S-Video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.