Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Is there a reason why new threads - which I am not following - are appearing in my alerts?

This has happened over the past few days and it is rather distracting.
Did you somehow accidentally subscribe to receive alerts of new threads in a specific forum?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Did you somehow accidentally subscribe to receive alerts of new threads in a specific forum?

No.

And I would like to know how to "unsubscribe" from receiving alerts about any new threads that have been started.

As it is, I am quite capable of finding threads - in an actual section of the forum that are of interest to me - or following up something I have noticed that made an appearance in the sidebar.

However, I really would prefer if new threads could be removed from my 'alerts' - and scrolling through my own account this afternoon, I couldn't find a way to undo this.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
if you did accidentally "watch" a forum, you can unwatch from that particular forum view.

Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 1.53.55 PM.png

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
No, I don't think so, as I am receiving notifications of threads that have just started - hence, I would not (indeed, could not) have known about them until then.

I have been clicking 'ignore', but clicking 'unwatch' may work better.

yeah that’s what happens when you watch a forum - it notifies you of new threads.
Next time you get one. To to the forum the thread is in and unwatch the forum.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No, I don't think so, as I am receiving notifications of threads that have just started - hence, I would not (indeed, could not) have known about them until then.

I have been clicking 'ignore', but clicking 'unwatch' may work better.
yeah that’s what happens when you watch a forum - it notifies you of new threads.
Next time you get one. To to the forum the thread is in and unwatch the forum.
If you go to "Watched forums" at https://forums.macrumors.com/watched/forums and then scroll all the way down there is a pull down menu with some options (like disabling alerts) that could be applied to all or some of the watched forums.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Ok.. we have a new push system in place. Just testing it right now. It's only able to be activated/deactivated here: https://www.macrumors.com/push/

Visit that, and you should be able to subscribe to pushes on Safari, Chrome or Firefox.

Let me know if you have any problems.
arn

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
well, you will get multiple pushes if you subscribe with all :)

arn
From what I know of push though, is only Safari receives push when it's not open, or that's how it used to work. But yes, I see your point if I have chrome or FF open I'll get the safari and push from which other browser I am using.

Reactions: arn

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
I think there's no hope for Safari on Mavericks to get restored push notifications ability and here's why:
Screen Shot 2019-12-07 at 23.11.07.png

If the same notification system is in play site wide then Safari won't receive them which is a pity because only through Safari you can get notifications arriving right at your desktop without the browser being open while you have to keep Firefox or Chrome open to receive them which is highly inconvenient.
Meanwhile, I came across sites that do offer push notifications compatible with Safari 9, these are AppleInsider, thefreeidctionary that actually work. But that's a different topic.

Last edited:

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
.I think there's no hope for Safari on Mavericks to get restored push notifications ability and here's why:
View attachment 881371

If the same notification system is in play site wide then Safari won't receive them which is a pity because only through Safari you can get notifications arriving right at your desktop without the browser being open while you have to keep Firefox or Chrome open to receive them which is highly inconvenient.
Meanwhile, I came across sites that do offer push notifications compatible with Safari 9, these are AppleInsider, thefreeidctionary that actually work. But that's a different topic.
As much as I loved Mavericks, and older versions of Mac OS X running them today as a primary OS really isn't recommended anymore, just from a security point of view alone. They aren't supported by apple any longer. With this said though, running them in A VM along side a more current version of the OS is fine. I said this, to say this, does it even matter something that old isn't supported at this point.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I think there's no hope for Safari on Mavericks to get restored push notifications ability and here's why:
View attachment 881371

The Forums push system is different from the one on the main page.. and doesn't support Safari at all. I messaged the push provider (one signal) about Mavericks support. I'll let you know what I hear.

arn

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
The Forums push system is different from the one on the main page.. and doesn't support Safari at all. I messaged the push provider (one signal) about Mavericks support. I'll let you know what I hear.

arn
Well I can tell you its hit or miss with OneSignal. Some site will add the notification, others do not. Running MacOS 10.15.4 and Safari 13.1 - for example washingtontimes.com will popup the Allow dialog and at times not confirm with the block/allow dialog. Then whats-on-netflix.com does nothing (no confirm dialog).

Things work well in FireFox and Chrome. Did a twitter DM to both Netflix and OneSignal..... nothing heard yet.

maverick28

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2014
I wonder whether you made a right choice with OneSignal instead of the old way. As for Safari on Mavericks,
Safari 9 opens 90% of all sites, some of them even better than the version 13: e.g., browsing FB feels faster in Safari 9 than in Safari 13 which is beechballing every time I visit the site, scrolling is stuttering and it consumes a lot of CPU power. The curse is Google, Vimeo and other big players dropping support of 9.
That being said, even in Safari 13 the sites from which I still get push notifications in Safari 9 and many others, surprisingly, don't offer them anymore: MacRumors is among those few that do. 9to5, major news networks stopped offering pushes through Safari and I checked that on my own by visiting a host of them in Safari 13. I guess Apple raising the bar too high by requiring very tedious procedure to obtain that Keys package put off many online companies that deemed cost of maintaining these notifications for a tiny fraction of their user base that Mac users constitute not worth spending (why put efforts for 3%).

browsers-user-base.png

Last edited:
Reactions: whsbuss

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
The old system we maintained ourselves and would break intermittently. I think the last time, I wasn’t going to be able to fix it. So it really ended up being a choice between onesignal or nothing.

arn

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I’ve used one signal on multiple projects. They’re pretty decent To be honest.

Reactions: arn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.