Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ayahiawi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2017
Hi,

How can I erase my iphone data permanently so it cant be recovered?

because I tried everything but the EaseUS mobisaver still can recover all the photos and the data!!

I tried to Setting>General>Reset and delete/reset everything but it didnt solve the problem.

I tried to fill up the storage with blank photos and videos and then delete them but still.. didnt solve it.

So, How can I erase the data permanently before selling the iphone?

Thank you

Ahmed

SSAJ

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2016
Hi,

because I tried everything but the EaseUS mobisaver still can recover all the photos and the data!!

I tried to Setting>General>Reset and delete/reset everything but it didnt solve the problem.

I tried to fill up the storage with blank photos and videos and then delete them but still.. didnt solve it.

Thank you

Ahmed

Restore it through iTunes

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hi,

Thank you

Ahmed
Did you have your device passcode protected?

ayahiawi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2017
Did you have your device passcode protected?
Yes, does make any difference?
[doublepost=1491917807][/doublepost]
What to do before you sell or give away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201351

The thing is I already reset the iPhone. but still it can be recovered by EaseUS Mobisaver software. I don't know how to erase the recoverable data.

The iPhone is reseted and has no personal data on it right now, but still ... I can recover all previous personal data (photos, messages, contact..etc). I think there is no way to avoid this, isn't?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes, does make any difference?
[doublepost=1491917807][/doublepost]

The thing is I already reset the iPhone. but still it can be recovered by EaseUS Mobisaver software. I don't know how to erase the recoverable data.

The iPhone is reseted and has no personal data on it right now, but still ... I can recover all previous personal data (photos, messages, contact..etc). I think there is no way to avoid this, isn't?
With a passcode the data is encrypted so when you erase everything the encryption key is removed and there's really no way to make sense of the data anymore even if it's accessed somehow, so I'm not sure how you can recover anything that would make sense.

limnancy

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2016
Apple's "Erase All Content and Setting" doesn't mean that everything on you to the phone has been removed. They are just marked for deletion and not shown in the file system of your iOS device. The actual data are still physically present on your iPhone. For iOS system, the only way to completely erase the data is to overwrite the original contents. Many apps like Giveumore Cleaner could do this.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Apple's "Erase All Content and Setting" doesn't mean that everything on you to the phone has been removed. They are just marked for deletion and not shown in the file system of your iOS device. The actual data are still physically present on your iPhone. For iOS system, the only way to completely erase the data is to overwrite the original contents. Many apps like Giveumore Cleaner could do this.
Well, technically speaking, if a passcode was enabled, then everything is encrypted so that when you erase everything even if things aren't actually erased the encryption key is deleted which means that there's no way to decrypt the data making it useless even if it hasn't been overwritten.

ariannn

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2017
Hi,

Thank you

Ahmed
Restore it

SimonCowell123456

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2018
Factory reset your iPhone is the simplest and fastest way to remove everything on your iPhone. It is suitable for users who have no any important data on the iPhone. Follow the steps below to factory reset your iPhone.

Step 1. Go to the homescreen of your iPhone and choose "Settings".
Step 2. Scroll down the list and choose the option of "General".
Step 3. Go to the bottom of the list to choose the options of "Reset" > "Erase All Content and Settings" > "Erase iPhone" in turn.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Factory reset your iPhone is the simplest and fastest way to remove everything on your iPhone. It is suitable for users who have no any important data on the iPhone. Follow the steps below to factory reset your iPhone.

Step 1. Go to the homescreen of your iPhone and choose "Settings".
Step 2. Scroll down the list and choose the option of "General".
Step 3. Go to the bottom of the list to choose the options of "Reset" > "Erase All Content and Settings" > "Erase iPhone" in turn.
Seems like that was all already covered in the thread over a year ago.

sumo.do

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2014
Australia

This applies to unencrypted HDDs. I think you’ll find the iPhones are a slightly different setup. Also you can’t just overwrite on an SSD/flash. You have to fill it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.