Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Well the story of this NAS started it's life as a standard QNAP machine, living on a shelf, doing its job and being forgotten about.
It was on a shelf in my house so it was only a matter of time before something happened to it.
And it did, and it wasn't even my fault, this time,
It had been working ,mainly as photography dump server for a few TB's of photos.
As a Home Assistant server for a few dozen of my home automation lights that weren't HomeKit but HA makes them HK and homebridge that handled a couple other devices here and there to help make my wife be a little more high maintenance.

Literally out of nowhere, one night in February, the QNAP goes completely offline and never comes back. Sometimes it would update and reboot but this one was a little different. That night I tried remoting in ssh to check it out, it would die almost exactly 4 minutes in, repeatedly. A few more days go by, a few more options I tried, reflashing the internal DOM. Resetting the system to factory, booting with and without drives. Forcing different firmware. Nothing. Something in this QNAP drive is FFFFFUUDDDDGGGGEEEEDD.
So this began phase 1 and phase 2 simultaneously.
The phases being, I am wanting/needing/ redundant backup on-site to off-site. So I'll need 2 NAS devices now. Great now I'm down 1 already.

I have a few pieces left over from previous build.
Main piece, CPU, a Ryzen 1700 8-Core / 16-Thread
32GB ECC 3400MHz RAM
5 - ironWolf 4TB nas Drives and 4 - Samsung 500GB EVO SSD's

Some Ambien and Amazon crossed paths the other night and the rest of my new'ish NAS is on it's way, last piece by Mid-week.
Case shows on Wednesday / maybe Thursday. It is a Fractal Design 804 Node.
Motherboard made is yesterday, ASUS B540CSM, 6 Noctua 120mm 1700rpm dark grey / black fans with silicon vibration reducing corners and vibration reducing silicone mounting pins.
The new Intel Dual Gbe PCIE-1x card came in and the Corsair HX750 80+ Platinum Modular Power Supply are her.
I also had a black 256GB nvme drive pulled from a trash laptop(drive works perfect, rest of that laptop was trash) that will be my boot drive.
Then we are thinking of putting in 1 of the 980Ti cards if there is room for it.

This will be the MAIN server for the house. Time Machine backups, CCC Backups, any backup in genera, raw photo file dump, a few friends storage, lots of VM's for getting my house back automated to how it was prior to the QNAP dying. Also may move my pihole, which is on it's own computer, in to the new server and a few other machines like this.

Now I am figuring out phase 2.
The QNAP.
So nothing at all works to get this machine to actually boot in to it's OS.
i made an UNRAID USB Boot disk and the QNAP fired up immediately with QNAP showing ready to set up.
To further test it I put in a few 'trash' drives lying around, 2- 4TB HGST, 2- 2TB WD Green, 1 - 1TB WD Red, and a Samsung 500GB EVO just to run it through some paces. It is working very, very, well.
Once the other NAS parts come in and I can safely transfer that data from the QNAP disks to an UNRAID setup then that's it, the plan should be done at that point. Once #1 is running efficiently, it can be backing up to #2and it can be off-loading to AWS, BackBlaze for long term storage.

Thoughts?

Photos to start coming tomorrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.