Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radishfever

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2011
Cataumet MA
I'm a member of Adobe Lightroom photography plan. With that membership I get a free service called Adobe Portfolio which is basically a free website host.

Here is my question. Adobe offers two choices on domain names. Use their free .adobeportfolio blah blah or buy my own domain name and use that instead.

I'm 50 years old and have zero interest in mastering the web. I just thought it would be lots of fun to have this website to share my stuff. Please share the pitfalls of either choice so I do not set myself up for misery. If you guys think I should spend money and buy a domain, then give me some good choices to choose from.

Thank You in advance for helping,

Kirk

fwt

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2019
I think if you don't see the benefit to using your own domain (which is having a "branded" domain instead of one with "adobe" in the URL), then I wouldn't buy one. It will come with some initial setup steps to tie it to Adobe's service that are slightly technical, and of course the yearly renewal fee. If you lapse on that payment, your custom domain may stop working.

One other thing to consider though: if this portfolio is the primary way you plan to share your presence online, a benefit to having a custom domain is, you can share it once with people e.g. on a business card, and if you ever decide to stop using Adobe's service, the domain could point to something else like standard web hosting and people wouldn't need to know a new address.

If you decide to buy one, I recommend namecheap.com.

karmaseo

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2019
Custom domain is recommended for your website. Using adbobe or other third party service will lock your data and create troubles.

Reactions: jonnysods
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.