Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Szczelec33

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
I was wondering if I work on a video file on my iPad using either iMovie or another app like the scrolling credits app and export it as 720p to iMovie either on the same iPad or the Mac version of iMovie. Then later I work on this file some more, does it matter if I export to say Youtube at 1080p vs 720p? I imported into iMovie at 720p so would the quality matter if I export to youtube at 1080p? Does it upscale the 720p file or leave it the same either way not taking any other images or files into account within the project.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Its not that simple. In general, any resolution change or transcoding will result in some artifacts and loss of detail. The best practice, if you intend to edit later in another app, is to export two versions. One at the native resolution (file export) that can be used for editing, one with the resolution you currently want to share.

Whether you notice the artifacts or not is subjective, its usually in the second or third generation videos with lots of movement that they become more noticeable to the casual observer.

Szczelec33

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
So it doesn't matter if the scaling is up or down it generally will be just as present?
[automerge]1575659157[/automerge]
I've been working on this video for quite some time and am wondering because it takes forever on the iPad to export at 1080p vs 720p to youtube and also from the scrolling text app to iMovie and such:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.