Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bhang

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
I have no idea what to call what I am seeing so I hope my explanation fairs better.

I'm having problems with a piece of audio software and in my troubleshooting efforts I loaded up Activity Monitor. I hit play on my audio software and watch my CPU Useage. The CPU Useage monitor shows you all of your threads (in my case 8 (4 cores)) in real time. My concern is that the CPU meters were all over the place. Not in useage but on which threads are being used. It never sits still. It will use threads 1,3,5 for a few seconds then only use thread 2 then switch to some other seemingly random combination of threads. This seems completely bonkers to me. Does anyone have any idea what's going on here? Is this normal behavior? It seems to me that this behavior would be insanely inefficient.

MacOs 10.12.6 , Mid 2014 MBP 15" 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM , UA Apollo Silverface Thunderbolt, OWC Mercury Elite Pro, U28E590D Samsung 4k Display via HDMI, Akai MPK 249

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.