Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SomeCurry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
Hi guys, Just bought a Homepod as a gift and upon checking it over noticed it has a small rattle when tipping it side to side or upside down. Hoping this is the accelerometer or meant to be there and not something loose. Would anyone like to give their Homepod a quick tilt upside down to confirm and put my mind at rest or maybe its already a known thing? Thanks in advance, John

Bfarmer38119

macrumors regular
May 27, 2012
Memphis
Hi guys, Just bought a Homepod as a gift and upon checking it over noticed it has a small rattle when tipping it side to side or upside down. Hoping this is the accelerometer or meant to be there and not something loose. Would anyone like to give their Homepod a quick tilt upside down to confirm and put my mind at rest or maybe its already a known thing? Thanks in advance, John
I've got three and none of them exhibit that behavior. I know it was a gift but I'd tell the giver and see if they can help you get a replacement.

SomeCurry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
Its very faint, thought of maybe a tilt switch so it knows if it has been moved?

Just powered it up, no problem with sound (which is impressive). Thanks for checking.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
the accelerometer in these (and your phone) is tiny, and the piece inside barely moves. defiantly not enough that you should hear or feel anything when handling the entire unit.

the entire enclosure for accelerometers you can buy at the electronics hobby shop are about 3x3x1 mm (3 mm is a tiny bit more than 1/10 of an inch) I'm sure apple has access to slightly more compact units.

it could be a loose screw, or some piece of plastic that broke off.
with the screw, there's a slight chance it could land somewhere it shouldn't and short something out.

if it sounds like a big piece rolling around, you could always try a genius appointment, they should be able to sort you out,

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Warranty it to be safe. Sound is vibration so whatever it is is most certainly flying around inside there. Anything in there can alter sound quality even if its ever so slightly.

Best case it never effects anything. Worst case whatever it is can make contact with the drivers diaphragm, spider or is part of the voicecoil (unlikely) and usage can eventually cause damage.

I dont want make a mount out of a mole hill and while the speakers quality vs price might be "cheap" generally speaking these are NOT cheap speakers. These things are thoroughly glued and control boards saturated in epoxy so nothing vibrates loose.

Reactions: gwhizkids

SomeCurry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
It was a false alarm guys, when tilting the unit the cable is creaking where it connects on the homepod and creating the rattle or clicking sound when the cable pivots in the socket! Saved me a trip and some embarrassment but also good for anyone else who notices this ? Appreciate the comments and help. Thanks!

Reactions: waw74

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
It was a false alarm guys, when tilting the unit the cable is creaking where it connects on the homepod and creating the rattle or clicking sound when the cable pivots in the socket! Saved me a trip and some embarrassment but also good for anyone else who notices this ? Appreciate the comments and help. Thanks!

Lol I was going to say that because when I check mine I noticed that first and had to hold the cable. I would have mentioned that but I felt it came off condescending.

Glad it worked out for you.

Reactions: SomeCurry

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
I actually have what sounds like a loose screw or other debris in one of mine. It is in the space above the woofer toward the top of the HomePod. Rarely it will migrate on top of the woofer and causes a loud rattle when playing music. I just shake it hard if it happens and the debris seems to get lodged off to the side somewhere. It doesn't seem to affect audio quality when not literally on the woofer and not worth $300 for an out-of-warranty repair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.