Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applegeeky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2014
hi.

Did iOS 10 break all apps showing cycles. Temperature. Mah. Etc?

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
partial, charging/discharge info is broken for now (works when plugged in, but not when running on battery). temp, capacity, current charge capacity is working.

Applegeeky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2014
partial, charging/discharge info is broken for now (works when plugged in, but not when running on battery). temp, capacity, current charge capacity is working.
Which app do you use ?

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
battery life for now it shows current battery charge & capacity & voltage/charging state, all are correct. but no temp reporting, but with battery percentage etc all those other ( 99% same app from same dev under a different name etc), ull see it shows what the current power source is, under charge its fine, when under battery itll say 0/unknown.

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
battery life for now it shows current battery charge & capacity & voltage/charging state, all are correct. but no temp reporting, but with battery percentage etc all those other ( 99% same app from same dev under a different name etc), ull see it shows what the current power source is, under charge its fine, when under battery itll say 0/unknown.
The latest battery life app version shows temp now
IMG_0007.PNG

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

All apps that go by 'Battery Life' in the app store now are knock offs of the original that was pulled. The developer even stated that on Twitter, they even stole his icon.

With that being said, its not as accurate as Coconut Battery for Mac. Coconut shows the real time battery health down to the single digits. Battery Life shows battery health per percent. iPhone 7Plus has a 2900mAh battery. Coconut will show 2851mAh (98.3%), Battery Life will show 2842mAh (98%). It does it in larger blocks because it cannot access the full information. So its not as accurate. Current charge is also broken on these apps. The apps are using iOS' battery meter to determine current mAh of the device, not the battery itself. Remember, the battery meter on iOS is not 100% calibrated to the battery itself.

When iOS reports 100% the battery is really 95%.
When iOS reports 50% the battery is really 47.5%.
When iOS reports 5% the battery is really 4.75%.
When iOS reports 1% its really 0.95%.

Battery % is linear, but its not 100% = 100%. Never has been on an iOS device. So when using one of these apps now, you are just seeing what iOS is reporting, not the battery itself.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
All apps that go by 'Battery Life' in the app store now are knock offs of the original that was pulled. The developer even stated that on Twitter, they even stole his icon.

With that being said, its not as accurate as Coconut Battery for Mac. Coconut shows the real time battery health down to the single digits. Battery Life shows battery health per percent. iPhone 7Plus has a 2900mAh battery. Coconut will show 2851mAh (98.3%), Battery Life will show 2842mAh (98%). It does it in larger blocks because it cannot access the full information. So its not as accurate. Current charge is also broken on these apps. The apps are using iOS' battery meter to determine current mAh of the device, not the battery itself. Remember, the battery meter on iOS is not 100% calibrated to the battery itself.

When iOS reports 100% the battery is really 95%.
When iOS reports 50% the battery is really 47.5%.
When iOS reports 5% the battery is really 4.75%.
When iOS reports 1% its really 0.95%.

Battery % is linear, but its not 100% = 100%. Never has been on an iOS device. So when using one of these apps now, you are just seeing what iOS is reporting, not the battery itself.
Good information. Do you know if the Windows version of the Coconut Battery App is as accurate as the Mac version? I have the windows version and it's quite useful.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Good information. Do you know if the Windows version of the Coconut Battery App is as accurate as the Mac version? I have the windows version and it's quite useful.

Didnt even know there was a windows version. Thought it was still mac only. If its the same developer, I would imagine so.

Applegeeky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2014
Thanks .. btw conclusion is no app can view the actual max capacity right?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Seems like capacity information is still available. And pretty much all information is available through an app like Coconut Battery (on the Mac).

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

iOS Apps can show capacity but it's not 100% accurate. I posted above how it works. Coconut battery has more access to this information so it is more accurate.

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
Which one is that? One of the recent copy-cats of the original Battery Life app?
Dunno I had it installed before but after I did a DFU restore and set up as new that's the one that's coming up in the App Store with the same logo etc but the app actually seems slightly better than the old one offering more options and battery/system read outs etc.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Didnt even know there was a windows version. Thought it was still mac only. If its the same developer, I would imagine so.
Ooops silly me, I was confusing iBackupbot with coconut battery. The latter is indeed only for Mac, while iBackupbot has Windows and MacOs versions. The Windows one does indeed have cycle count and "true" capacity.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ooops silly me, I was confusing iBackupbot with coconut battery. The latter is indeed only for Mac, while iBackupbot has Windows and MacOs versions. The Windows one does indeed have cycle count and "true" capacity.

I have not used iBackupbot on Mac for a while. On windows does it give the real time mAh or "clumped" mAh like the Battery Life app? Coconut gives it down to the single digit while last time I used iBackupbot it was down to the nearest 100.

So if my capacity was 2981 mAh via Coconut, iBackup would show 3000 mAh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.