Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Agreed, on paper its a great idea but its execution is poor.

True and same with many others. I've an Allenware mouse and it's an excellent piece of hardware, only MS and Dell enforce a massive auto DL package that doesn't even function on my Asus GL703GS :rolleyes: This **** should be optional not enforced :mad:

I uninstalled all Dell's garbage and installed the basic AW mouse control, works beautifully. Exactly what is wrong with these companies? Or do they think all their customers are idiots? BOSE just pulled the same stunt, basically killing the ANC on the QC 35 I & II and like I'm going to purchase your new product (700 ANC headphones). Very last company I'll be looking at for ANC headphones now is BOSE.

BOSE argue that nothing has changed, and they can't see any difference :rolleyes: Change was night and day on the new firmware update, you'd need to be deaf not notice the difference. Net result lost a customer as I won't purchase BOSE again as they clearly crippled the QC 35 II to make the new 700 appear better than it is. Page after page on BOSE's own forums, so far only thing BOSE has done is delete posts that are too close to the truth...

Personally I avoid companies that solely look to serve themselves, my money is with companies that work with and listen to their customers...

Q-6

Last edited:

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
How's the razer working out for you?
Very well actually, I moved to it completely as my main machine. Unexpected benefit of integrated TB controller - it is up to 30% faster with eGPU as full power 15 inch with discrete controller (GS65 and Blade 15). But only up to 1080Ti, when I tried 2080Ti the speed increase over 1080Ti was minimal and the 15 inchers were faster. I guess this low power CPU limits what the high-end GPU can do. For this CPU, 1080Ti seems to be sweet spot in terms of lost performance and TB link efficiency.

And not only the raw frame rates, when docked it 'feels' like desktop, everything is very smooth, smoother than the GS65 or Blade 15, with CPU faster than my 4770k desktop. I never completely moved to laptop+eGPU setup because gaming on desktop was so much better - not anymore, integrated TB controller makes a huge difference in overall experience. If intel ever releases full power Ice Lakes it will be a big deal for anybody using eGPU. That blogger made a detailed comparison through multiple games with his GS65:

https://www.theeverydayenthusiast.c...omparison-intel-ice-lake-vs-intel-coffee-lake

His Stealth is not unlocked, but I repeated some of his benchmarks and the fps increase was very small, negligible really, I guess most of the games don't really use all cores and even 15W is enough to max out single core.

Reactions: Queen6 and maflynn

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
I think I'm going to wait for the macbook-pro 13 with same improvements as the 16. This would be my travel laptop

Pretty much on the same boat. I have my MSI GS65 at home and between offices and I take my Macbook Pro 13 when I travel. Really doubt that Apple is going to put a dedicated GPU into the 13 inch form factor but if they do, I'm sold.

Or if the next Razer Blade Stealth has 144hz screen with a 32GB RAM option, I would be all over it :)

Reactions: Never mind

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Ok so I just picked one up from the Microsoft Store for $1619 using my student discount (yes I'm 38 and I went back to school to get my second masters) to take advantage of their policy which gives a deadline of 1/31/2020.

Been using this for a few hours and first impressions so far is that it is a pretty impressive device and is really well built. My MSI GS65 feels like it's built like a PoS compared to the Razer. I like how bright the screen is and it can handle Resident Evil 2, Shadow of Tomb Raider, and Overwatch without any issues.

The TrackPad is the best on a Windows laptop I've ever used and the keyboard (compared to the MacBook Pro 2018) is really good. Speakers sound great when you are in the low to mid volume settings. Much better than my MSI GS65. When you get passed 75% volume however, then the sounds start to become distorted.

What I don't like is that big ass power brick and how quickly this thing attracts finger prints all over the damn thing and it's only been a few hours. Most likely won't keep this thing because I already have a 13-inch Macbook Pro that I take on the go but I will probably get the next gen Stealth or when the price drops on this even more. $1619+ tax is still way too much.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What I don't like is that big ass power brick and how quickly this thing attracts finger prints all over the damn thing and it's only been a few hours.
If you were to keep it, I'd recommend a dbrand skin, which would negate the finger print issue to some degree.

Reactions: soulreaver99

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have to say, I'm still quasi tempted for the 15" Razer Blade, I'm starting to leverage the xbox game pass and the 1050Ti is not the best gaming GPU but so far its still holding its own (barely)

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
If you were to keep it, I'd recommend a dbrand skin, which would negate the finger print issue to some degree.

You know what I just realized after sitting this besides my company issued laptop?

It looks like a freakin ThinkPad. Some some design cues definitely borrowed there, especially the finger print smudging.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
I have to say, I'm still quasi tempted for the 15" Razer Blade, I'm starting to leverage the xbox game pass and the 1050Ti is not the best gaming GPU but so far its still holding its own (barely)

Kinda sorta regret not getting the Razer Blade 15 instead of the MSI GS65 because the build quality is night and day different. Then I remember the price difference is almost $1000 and the GS65 has one extra NVME slot and my config has 32GB of RAM stock.

As for game pass, pretty excited to be able to take the Razer for a test drive on a business trip in a few weeks so I’ll be playing Halo MCC on the go. Microsoft just took away any reason to own an Xbox right there

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
You know what I just realized after sitting this besides my company issued laptop?

It looks like a freakin ThinkPad. Some some design cues definitely borrowed there, especially the finger print smudging.
They should make a mercury white one like my Blade or a Quartz if you want to get in touch with your feminine side :)

Reactions: Queen6

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
They should make a mercury white one like my Blade or a Quartz if you want to get in touch with your feminine side :)
They actually do, but for now this is only for model without the 1650, with CPU allowed to run at 25W. Which makes it probably the best cooled ultrabook on the market - still two fans but only one chip to worry about.

Just placed an order for Sabrent Rocket 4TB ssd, first consumer 4TB nvme drive in m.2 for factor. Expensive as hell, but I just can't get around having only 2TB in a laptop.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

Queen6

macrumors G4

If using as a portable I'd opt for the stronger GPU over an eGPU. This Asus has a 1070 and I've never regretted, had it been a 1050 etc. I too would be considering an upgrade.

Next I'll sit out for 2070, and see where the CPU's go. I'd like i9, equally the hex core i7 can perform more than adequately in the right system, after all a faster processor in a limited chassis won't be so fast...

Q-6

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2016
They actually do, but for now this is only for model without the 1650, with CPU allowed to run at 25W. Which makes it probably the best cooled ultrabook on the market - still two fans but only one chip to worry about.

Just placed an order for Sabrent Rocket 4TB ssd, first consumer 4TB nvme drive in m.2 for factor. Expensive as hell, but I just can't get around having only 2TB in a laptop.
Thunderbolt 3 drive?

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Not THAT big of a deal but how is it that even a MacBook Air can have 2 thunderbolt ports and the Razer has only 1 thunderbolt port on one side and USB-C on the other? And of course MacBook Pros have 4.

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
Not THAT big of a deal but how is it that even a MacBook Air can have 2 thunderbolt ports and the Razer has only 1 thunderbolt port on one side and USB-C on the other? And of course MacBook Pros have 4.
No idea. Looking at how Ice Lake TB is integrated one would think that it should be easier to add multiple TB ports rather than additional USB ports (you only need one more retimer vs USB controller chip).

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Update: I think I fixed the problem. Had to unplug all my USB devices. Restarted, and then plugged in the DAC first. Tested the sound, so far so good and one by one plug in the other USB devices. Hope it stays fixed.

So I finally connected this to my large display and USB audio DAC and uh oh... got the horrible sound crackling issue. I had this problem on the original Razer Blade Stealth from 2016 and I'm surprised that this is still a problem. Don't remember how I fixed it the first time but the Realtek drivers from what I remember was the issue. What a stupid problem to still have!

Last edited:

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
check this out, the base model has better cpu performance!!
He made couple of formal mistakes. The CPU is the same, there are no 15W and 25W version. The difference is that the model w/1650 enters down-TDP (15W) state when dGPU is active, I'm pretty sure these are absolutely identical units, with same Bios, just the white is missing some chips. For reference his CB20 numbers - 1707 (without) and 1215 (w/1650). I'm getting 2200 with 1650. If he set CB20 to run on Intel GPU (because by default it attaches itself to Nvidia card) he would get same numbers on both machines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.