Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Last edited:

digitalm3

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2014
SoCal
I did buy an iPad Pro 11 back in August 16th while there was a new store opening for discounted price. Well, I was still offered a year trial of Apple TV+. So make sure you check it out if the offer for a year trial don't show up for you as well even if you purchased a new device before announcing Apple TV+.

https://prnt.sc/pr12ex

https://prnt.sc/pr14d5

Promo TaCs says eligible devices are only after September 10th - https://www.apple.com/promo/pdf/EN_US_ATV+_Promo_TandCs.pdf

I purchased a MacMini 7 days before the event and hadn't even opened it when they announced it. I quickly asked support if they would honor the purchase or if I should return it and repurchase. They told me that they would honor it that I should get notification but its not showing up. I saved the transcript so I'm going to try to hold them too it and I imagine they will. Glad to see you got yours without trouble !!

Reactions: kemo

leadanew

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2018
I haven’t bought anything new since July (MacMini) outside of AirPods Pro. I did however send an old 7 in for service and Apple replaced several parts under warranty and gave me a new Serial # for the phone when returned last week. The free 1 year offer showed up this morning. ??‍♂️

edufmartins

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2014
I bought one Macbook Pro on September 10th and activated it after the event. Apple says that I am eligible to get 1-year free trial but it doesn't show up... I have tried to log off and log in again but it is not working. It offers me the 1-week free trial only...
Does anyone have a solution?

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
I bought one Macbook Pro on September 10th and activated it after the event. Apple says that I am eligible to get 1-year free trial but it doesn't show up... I have tried to log off and log in again but it is not working. It offers me the 1-week free trial only...
Does anyone have a solution?

did you try the web version of Apple TV? https://tv.apple.com Some said they were able to start their year free trials there.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
unfortunately yes... I'Yep tried and it shows the same: 1-week free only...

Are you trying in the macOS TV app? Mane try the web version, or if you have an iPhone, try it there. Also it’s worth remembering that it’s linked to your account, not the device. So if you have separate iCloud/iTunes accounts, you may need to sign into the AppStore with the account you registered the Mac with.

When I did mine, it didn’t show the 1 year free until I clicked on an episode of a program for some reason, before that it was just showing me the 1 week free option.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
I bought an iphone 11 pro max, returned it 20 days later, still got free trial. I REALLY think they want to get like 25 M users signed up by 1/1/2020 CHOHW

edufmartins

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2014
Are you trying in the macOS TV app? Mane try the web version, or if you have an iPhone, try it there. Also it’s worth remembering that it’s linked to your account, not the device. So if you have separate iCloud/iTunes accounts, you may need to sign into the AppStore with the account you registered the Mac with.

When I did mine, it didn’t show the 1 year free until I clicked on an episode of a program for some reason, before that it was just showing me the 1 week free option.
Thank you very much!
That's funny because it still doesn't work (still appears 1-week and I am not set as a subscriber) but you are right, the shows are working. I was not trying to play any show.

Bornee35

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2013
Canada
I did buy an iPad Pro 11 back in August 16th while there was a new store opening for discounted price. Well, I was still offered a year trial of Apple TV+. So make sure you check it out if the offer for a year trial don't show up for you as well even if you purchased a new device before announcing Apple TV+.

https://prnt.sc/pr12ex

https://prnt.sc/pr14d5

Promo TaCs says eligible devices are only after September 10th - https://www.apple.com/promo/pdf/EN_US_ATV+_Promo_TandCs.pdf
I was given a free year and it specified the reason was due to my new iPhone purchase. I have an iPhone X from 2017.

Edit: I have my sister and her husband in my family plan for Apple Music. Turns out they just bought new iPhones yesterday, guess I get the new device benefit via family sharing.

Last edited:

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
I bought a MacBook Air on August 8th and did not get the free year offer. I didn't confirm the order though. I canceled when it said my next billing date would be November 8th.

Alexnd

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2019
I haven’t bought anything new since July (MacMini) outside of AirPods Pro. I did however send an old 7 in for service and Apple replaced several parts under warranty and gave me a new Serial # for the phone when returned last week. The free 1 year offer showed up this morning. ??‍♂️
I had an iPad replaced under Apple care and got free 1 year as well.

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2009
I purchased my iPhone back in September of last year. So, it's over a year old. I opened the Apple TV app and it said my new phone qualified me for a year of Apple TV+. I thought maybe it counted me as having a new phone because last month I had to replace the phone using Apple Care because I cracked the glass on the back of the phone. Whatever the reason, I'll take it. Maybe Tim Cook is trying to give away as many free subscriptions as he can in hopes that Apple TV+ becomes popular.

Soondae

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
Hua Hin, Thailand
I purchased a MacMini 7 days before the event and hadn't even opened it when they announced it. I quickly asked support if they would honor the purchase or if I should return it and repurchase. They told me that they would honor it that I should get notification but its not showing up. I saved the transcript so I'm going to try to hold them too it and I imagine they will. Glad to see you got yours without trouble !!
I have the same exact issue, received my MacMini on 4 September and I only get the 7 day free trial option. I chat with Apple support about this last week and they said I should have no issue.... Also I bought an iPad Pro in August so will try that option as one member said his allowed the 1 year trial. Please let me know if Apple support helps you out.

Update: Apple support tells me I don't qualify as I ordered the Mac Mini on 1 September. Even though by the time I received it, and restored from my iMac backup put me in the time period, they won't authorize me.

Last edited:
  • Sad

digitalm3

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2014
SoCal
I have the same exact issue, received my MacMini on 4 September and I only get the 7 day free trial option. I chat with Apple support about this last week and they said I should have no issue.... Also I bought an iPad Pro in August so will try that option as one member said his allowed the 1 year trial. Please let me know if Apple support helps you out.

Update: Apple support tells me I don't qualify as I ordered the Mac Mini on 1 September. Even though by the time I received it, and restored from my iMac backup put me in the time period, they won't authorize me.

They‘re giving me a problem too but I saved the original chat I had with their support. Mine was delivered on the 10th and I asked them the same day if I should return it or would it still qualify. They assured me I was good to go so I will hold them to it, I assume I’ll have to escalate it!

digitalm3

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2014
SoCal
They‘re giving me a problem too but I saved the original chat I had with their support. Mine was delivered on the 10th and I asked them the same day if I should return it or would it still qualify. They assured me I was good to go so I will hold them to it, I assume I’ll have to escalate it!

I am outraged, they aren’t honoring their commitment and screwed me because I asked if I should return it so I could repurchase it. It’s infuriating because I didn’t think Apple let things like this happen, I have trusted them and now I’m having my doubts.

Soondae

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
Hua Hin, Thailand
I am outraged, they aren’t honoring their commitment and screwed me because I asked if I should return it so I could repurchase it. It’s infuriating because I didn’t think Apple let things like this happen, I have trusted them and now I’m having my doubts.
I was so upset that I sent an email to Tim Cook on the topic. Along with my September 2019 receipt for my MacMini. Using a stupid date such as 10 September is ridiculous, why don't they at least start from 1 September? Let's see if I get a response......

digitalm3

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2014
SoCal
I was so upset that I sent an email to Tim Cook on the topic. Along with my September 2019 receipt for my MacMini. Using a stupid date such as 10 September is ridiculous, why don't they at least start from 1 September? Let's see if I get a response......

I thought about doing that too but I think they have just ruined any chance of me ever signing up for the service. Like they say it’s all about the principal, there is always a grace period. Please let me know your outcome!!

TohMac

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2019
Somewhere in the Universe
I just purchased a brand new Macbook Air today at Apple. I don't want to put Catalina on it yet so does the free year start from the day you purchased the new device or the moment you load up Catalina?

Last edited:

digitalm3

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2014
SoCal

Well just as I was giving up all hope they came through and issued a code to redeem for a full year. My faith has been restored, I wish you luck in your efforts!!

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
I have to edit my original reply. I ended up receiving the offer for my Air purchased and activated in August. I ended up calling Customer Support and asking about it and was told that I was not eligible. A couple of days later I received the offer via e-mail in spite of what I was told. I wonder if they looked at purchase history since I did activate $2-3K worth of Apple gear in the past year and had an order for AirPod Pros on the way.

Soondae

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
Hua Hin, Thailand
Well just as I was giving up all hope they came through and issued a code to redeem for a full year. My faith has been restored, I wish you luck in your efforts!!
I have not heard back from Apple, it appears they don't plan to honor my MacMini purchase in early September. For me a one week free trial is not enough time to decide if I want to throw another $5 month for their streaming service.

TohMac

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2019
Somewhere in the Universe
Received an offer today for the free year of Apple. I don't want to upgrade the Air yet that I just purchased as it is presently on Mojave. Nor wish to upgrade my iMac from Mojave. Can I take advantage of this offer on one of my iPhones or must it be only via the new Macbook Air?

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Received an offer today for the free year of Apple. I don't want to upgrade the Air yet that I just purchased as it is presently on Mojave. Nor wish to upgrade my iMac from Mojave. Can I take advantage of this offer on one of my iPhones or must it be only via the new Macbook Air?
I purchased a qualifying iPhone 8 and accepted the one year offer on my 2015 Air. I think you can accept the offer on any Apple device by logging in to your iTunes account.

Reactions: TohMac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.